What is the best way to search for words with hyphens?

I am a tester working in an environment where applications run on many different domains.

Our domains typically have names with one or more hyphens in them, for example:  'ap-as-1.ananas.com'

Often, I need to to find my activities and notes related to a specific domain, e.g. 'ap-as-1.ananas.com'
Also, often, I need to find words that happen to have a hyphen in them, for example user ids that I use for testing purposes, like 'User-001'

I have two issues here:
1. When using a search term like 'ap-as*' it will find the notes with the domain, but the matches are NOT highlighted.
In long notes, the highlighting is really helpful for finding my target text, but there's no highligting.
2. I tried quotes to fix my issue: "ap-as" finds the notes, but does NOT do highlighting.

My workaround is to open a matching note, Ctrl-F, then search for the string.
The funny thing is that the words ARE being highlighted then.
This is laborous, not acceptable workaround.

I think it's another case that supports the general feature request of Malcom.b.Anderson:

Please upvote.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't know how many users have a specific need to have hyphenated technical names highlighted in searches,  but I don't think there are very many...  only 7 people so far have supported that feature request,  so it doesn't seem like a burning issue.  You've commented here,  and hopefully voted there,  but something as fundamental to 200M+ users as the search grammar is unlikely to be changed without a great deal of consultation and planning - if it is changed at all.  It's not going to happen soon.  (Unless Evernote were already upgrading the search feature when you wrote this!)

If this is something that you really really need,  I'd suggest you look around for alternative software.  If you can live with the current situation,  you may be able to make life easier with searches and maybe restructuring your notes slightly.  Would it help (and be possible) to have separate notes (or notebooks) for each server / group of servers;  to have a tag for the server name as well as / instead of quoting the label in the text?

When you do find a solution please let us know how you resolved this!

15 hours ago, jefito said:

You can try quoting the search string, e.g. "abc-def-xyz". This seems to work in the Windows client, anyways.

I tried, and it finds the notes, but there's no highlighting of the occurrences in the note. (like stated in my original post).

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mgpmul said:

I tried, and it finds the notes, but there's no highlighting of the occurrences in the note. (like stated in my original post).

I'm seeing an interesting thing: If I leave off the final double quote from my search string (e.g. "abc-def), the note is found, and the highlighting of the search terms occurs. If I add the final double quote (e.g. "abc-def"), the note is also found, but highlighting goes away (even if the note text also has a terminating double quote. I'd call that a bug. I guess if you need the highlighting, you can leave off the final double quote, but obviously you can only have one such search term, since anything that follows is included in the first term.

Archived