(Archived) 1.4.1 Beta 5

Hey folks -

We've published a beta update for the Android client. It includes:

• [*:hkl6nc29]A widget allowing easy search and creation of notes
    [*:hkl6nc29]Bug fixes addressing problems with notes not updating on the client
    [*:hkl6nc29]Bug fixes with lost white space formatting on text notes
    [*:hkl6nc29]Improved graphics on high resolution devices
    [*:hkl6nc29]Easy access to the Save button on the create audio notes screen
    [*:hkl6nc29]Pinch and zoom note content (available only on 2.1+ devices)
    [*:hkl6nc29]Fixed problems accessing tags
    [*:hkl6nc29]Numerous other bug fixes

Download here at:

http://s.evernote.com/androidbeta

[updated]

Love the Widget!

One thing I would like is easier access to the notes themselves, like a button on the home screen, without having to go the menu. Most of the time I use evernote out and about, it is accessing notes for the information, not creating new notes (although I am sure many are just the opposite).

Finally it is possible to access recent notes at all. Hasn't been working for a while because the notes written in the client version weren't updated. Don't know why. That works now. I'm using: a Mac 10.6.4 and HTC Desire, Andorid 2.2.

But: Why is it still not possible to edit notes in the Android version? Thought this is the main feature of Evernote. Just adding text at the end of the note is not enough.

Edit: Everything is fine until I format the text. As long as there is nothing bold f.e. editing the note works in the App. When I format something this stopps. Not good, but good to know. But: How can I undo that in an existing note? Undo the formatting that stop the Android App letting me edit it?

The widget is really great, thanks! But I can't see anything different with the Save button when creating a new note, it's still at the bottom of the screen. Maybe the change is only visible on devices with bigger screens? I'm using HTC Magic/MyTouch

Love the Widget!

One thing I would like is easier access to the notes themselves, like a button on the home screen, without having to go the menu. Most of the time I use evernote out and about, it is accessing notes for the information, not creating new notes (although I am sure many are just the opposite).

Yea, the widget will make this slightly easier. We've got plans for a more comprehensive UI modifications that will do just as you suggest in our next major release. Stay tuned.

The widget is really great, thanks! But I can't see anything different with the Save button when creating a new note, it's still at the bottom of the screen. Maybe the change is only visible on devices with bigger screens? I'm using HTC Magic/MyTouch

The Save button was added to the audio note screen.

post-7531-131906066932_thumb.png

Finally it is possible to access recent notes at all. Hasn't been working for a while because the notes written in the client version weren't updated. Don't know why. That works now. I'm using: a Mac 10.6.4 and HTC Desire, Andorid 2.2.

But: Why is it still not possible to edit notes in the Android version? Thought this is the main feature of Evernote. Just adding text at the end of the note is not enough.

Edit: Everything is fine until I format the text. As long as there is nothing bold f.e. editing the note works in the App. When I format something this stopps. Not good, but good to know. But: How can I undo that in an existing note? Undo the formatting that stop the Android App letting me edit it?

Android doesn't have a rich text editor so currently we only allow user to append to rich text notes. You can edit text only notes. In the future we'll be adding a few more features that will let you modify rich text notes by making a copy of the original and letting you modify only the text. We're keeping an eye out for alternatives.

Android doesn't have a rich text editor so currently we only allow user to append to rich text notes. You can edit text only notes. In the future we'll be adding a few more features that will let you modify rich text notes by making a copy of the original and letting you modify only the text. We're keeping an eye out for alternatives.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm too stupid. How can I reformat (?) a note in the desktop client so that appears as plain text in the App, giving me the chance to edit it? It's not important to have words in bold letters but the editing itself but be very nice.

When I do "format to plain text" in the desktop client that has no effect on the note even after a new synch in the Android App. So maybe this might be a problem that is easy to solve?

Have just installed this, hoping that I would now find a way to access saved searches, but either I'm missing something, or the app is ;-).

I have a number of saved searches set up, some of them specifically to make finding things on a mobile device easier. I'm pretty sure that the Symbian beta app had it, and the Android app is far superior in many ways, but I can't find the same functionality.

If it's just that I can't find it, please point me in the right direction (and update the app to make it easier to find ;-).)

If it's not there, please can I request that it gets added.

Thanks

Julie

Have just installed this, hoping that I would now find a way to access saved searches, but either I'm missing something, or the app is ;-).

Saved searches, like tags and notebooks, are available from the search box -- start typing the name of the saved search and it should appear beneath the search box as selectable. Works great, unless you're not sure what you're looking for and want to visually browse a list of saved searches. . . in which case, I don't believe there's a solution [yet] available.

Searches for notes by tags with spaces in them fail to render any results. For example, "Internet Explorer", "Character Entities", "FTP Accounts" are all actual tags, but pulling them up in the Android client returns 0 notes.

I am not sure if this is new, but I've only just noticed it.

Saved searches, like tags and notebooks, are available from the search box -- start typing the name of the saved search and it should appear beneath the search box as selectable. Works great, unless you're not sure what you're looking for and want to visually browse a list of saved searches. . . in which case, I don't believe there's a solution [yet] available.
Ah. No, I don't remember the names of the searches - I would just recognise them if they were listed.

Sorry, I don't want this to turn into a "here is still what is missing" thread, when it should be a "wow, thanks for the update!" thread, but . . .

Dave and I were discussing in another thread that when I pull up a photo, they are often too large for the screen. A quick pinch on the iPod Touch version will resize the picture to fit into the screen, but not with Android. I can zoom in, but it is already too large, and it can't zoom it back out to see the picture in full screen.

Just a small niggle, but I actually needed to view a medicine label with the pharmacist and it was not viewable within EN. Luckily, I could just go to my gallery and view the picture there since I had taken it with my Droid.

Inch by inch! Thanks for the extra Android support!

There is zoom in & out feature in this release. All you need to do is to click on the photo, and a zoom in & out bar will show up. You can adjust the zoom level from there. If the photo is large, it may take 2-3 seconds to zoom in and out.

Here is an example.

post-19179-131906066936_thumb.jpg

Mine pictures will zoom down a bit, but then stop and the "-" side of the rocker is greyed out. It won't shrink any further and still much too large to fit the screen.

Same for me. Android 2.2 running on HTC Desire, taking 3MP pictures. You can zoom out until perhaps a quarter of the whole picture shows on the screen, but then the zoom out button becomes disabled and you can't pinch any more.

qot, Ah-Fan showed me what I was doing wrong in an email after viewing my picture. There is an option in the Menu to "view in full size", which basically solves the problem!

Was that my own fault for not poking around the menu items, or viewing a tutorial where it was described, or could that have been made known a bit more prominently? For now, I will call it a user error! :0)

Searches for notes by tags with spaces in them fail to render any results. For example, "Internet Explorer", "Character Entities", "FTP Accounts" are all actual tags, but pulling them up in the Android client returns 0 notes.

Correction, searches by tag aren't working for me at all. . .

The new widget is great! Only problem I have is that all the photos I create on my Motorola Milestone are still 1MP, where can I change this?

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows why the photo size used by Evernote is 1MP? When I start the camera app normally, the default is 5MP, but in Evernote it's always 1MP and there is no way to change this. Is this a Milestone bug, a 2.1 bug, or an Evernote bug?

I try to make a photo from the phone's camera and one from the evernote's camera, both files comes out roughly the same file size. In fact, we pass our control to the phone's camera and then transfer the photo into our note. But you are right, both photos seem, somehow, change to 1 m size. I will file a bug for our Engineers to take a look.

Correction, searches by tag aren't working for me at all. . .

It seems that this is an issue with one-word tags too. Say a tag is Excel, start typing Excel and than choose the option to search for notes tagged with the tag Excel. The tag:"Excel" is displayed as the search criteria in the search box and no results are found although there are same notes with the Excel tag. If I mannerly remove the quotation marks (so the search criteria is tag:Excel instead tag:"Excel") everything is fine. It seems that quotation marks are causing the trouble.

Tab search issue is now fixed.

I have some information from our Engineer: for making 5 MP photo, it is not necessary generating large file. The different of colors and light may make the file size varies. So, This is not a bug.

Another build is passed to QA now and should be available soon.

I have some information from our Engineer: for making 5 MP photo, it is not necessary generating large file. The different of colors and light may make the file size varies. So, This is not a bug.

The problem is not the file size that Evernote is generating it's the IMAGE SIZE. Having a low-resolution image is useless when I need the full 5MP resolution.

Please fix this.

The problem is not the file size that Evernote is generating it's the IMAGE SIZE. Having a low-resolution image is useless when I need the full 5MP resolution.

Please fix this.

Yep, it's not just the file size. The image is tiny (something like 800x 600) when you see it in evernote (using the desktop client).

When I open the camera normally, it says "5MP" on the left-hand side status bar. When I use the photo note in Evernote, the camera status bar shows "1MP". The problem is, there is no menu available when taking a picture with evernote so I can change the size, somehow the menus are disabled.

Please fix this.

Yep, it's not just the file size. The image is tiny (something like 800x 600) when you see it in evernote (using the desktop client).

When I open the camera normally, it says "5MP" on the left-hand side status bar. When I use the photo note in Evernote, the camera status bar shows "1MP". The problem is, there is no menu available when taking a picture with evernote so I can change the size, somehow the menus are disabled.

On mine, I only get the option of "Small", which is 640x416 - hardly usable for me.

Can I install this on a G1 with Android 1.6 ?

During installation I get the error "Evernote could not be installed on this phone"

Does it require a more recent version of Android ?

thanks

Rand

Please fix this.

On mine, I only get the option of "Small", which is 640x416 - hardly usable for me.

I had the same problem (using a HTC Desire) - whenever I would try to take a photo through Evernote, it would only give me the option of small resolution. Taking a photo just normally with the camera I could take images upto 5MP.

However last weekend HTC upgraded my Desire to Froyo, Android 2.2 (Yay!), and since then the problem has been resolved. Also upgraded to latest Evernote app, but I think it was the Froyo update that resolved it for me.

So it could be bug that is resolved by 2.2??? Anyway, working fine for me now. Which is excellent and hope that info helps someone else.

@brip thanks for the solution.

@other

I re-open the 5MP photo defect. For another workaround, you may use "upload file" to upload the photo again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't think that upgrading to Froyo is a solution. I've used many document scanner apps that take photo's at full resolution and then bring them into the application at full resolution. I think there's a problem with evernote communicating with the camera app data.

@brip thanks for the solution.

@other

I re-open the 5MP photo defect. For another workaround, you may use "upload file" to upload the photo again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Just to be clear, there is a longstanding camera issue. ex; viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15703&p=68775&hilit=camera+resolution#p68775

On my droid Incredible, I do not have the option of choosing a custom resolution. I cannot change the resolution from 640 X 480.

All in all this is a really good update. However, there's one change I really don't like. I don't like that you made the note-previews smaller in the list of notes.

4375773612_8da06e8a2e_d.jpg

(A photo of how it used to look)

I really liked how it used to look. Large previews to help you find the note you were looking for. They're way to small now.

G2 Touch (HTC Hero) , android 1.5:

1. still I don't see all tags in "select tags" ? I've tried that workaround with deletion of evernote folder from /sdcard but didn't work for me.

2. don't display all tags for notes i.e. on PC a have Note1 with tag1, tag2, .... but on android I have Note1 with only tag1 ?!

Does anyone else has these problems ??

p.s.

1. If I don't have some tag on android, and I have "tag1" on server/desktop, then if I manually enter on android "tag1" , then next time it is available

@ thehemicharot

it doesn't happen to me.

Let make a new note with a couple of tags from other client, then login to your android client.

Can you check

1. after open the note, click on menu\refresh (check those tags if they are there)

2. click menu\note info, to see if the tag(s) show up there.

3. finally, check the error log (from main screen, click menu\pending notes, menu\error log).

If all fail, let log a technical support ticket:

http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/

Two things:

• [*:ybt0q3qh]Can a moderator start "sticky"-ing these beta threads when they are started? As it is, they can be hard to find.
    [*:ybt0q3qh]Will we get the option to join a "beta release channel", similar to the desktop versions? Right now, when there is a stable release in the market, we beta users aren't notified of the update, and there is no clear upgrade path.

@Ah_Fan

Let make a new note with a couple of tags from other client, then login to your android client.

Can you check

1. after open the note, click on menu\refresh (check those tags if they are there)

2. click menu\note info, to see if the tag(s) show up there.

3. finally, check the error log (from main screen, click menu\pending notes, menu\error log).

Thank you for reply. 1-3 didn't do, but what solved the problem was sign out/sign in on android client. I haven't sing out since first version I've installed.

Regards

All in all this is a really good update. However, there's one change I really don't like. I don't like that you made the note-previews smaller in the list of notes.

4375773612_8da06e8a2e_d.jpg

(A photo of how it used to look)

I really liked how it used to look. Large previews to help you find the note you were looking for. They're way to small now.

I log an enhancement request to make it bigger.

Archived