Evernote for Windows 6.15 Beta 2

Nick Nassiri

• Evernote Expert

@Nick Nassiri Can you kindly let me know, if the templates feature is working in the latest beta? I am able to create a new note, and save it as a template. This part is fine. I then run a sync too. Now, i create a new note, and choose 'Import from Template' feature, and my previously created template does not show up. Can you please help? 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

let me know, if the templates feature is working in the latest beta

Hi.  If you start a new note in 6.15.2 you'll see an invitation to write or paste content,  or to open a template.  Click the Template option and you'll see a thumbnail display of available templates,  plus a 'browse sample templates' option which -for the moment- just leads to a blank web page.  I assume it will have content when that version is released,  and possibly users will be able to leave their own templates there to help others...

• Ex Employees
On 9/15/2018 at 9:30 AM, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

@Nick Nassiri Can you kindly let me know, if the templates feature is working in the latest beta? I am able to create a new note, and save it as a template. This part is fine. I then run a sync too. Now, i create a new note, and choose 'Import from Template' feature, and my previously created template does not show up. Can you please help? 

Thanks for the report. If you save the note as a template again does it work?

You should first see this screen to save and title the template:image.thumb.png.ae37826c802acb7d4a8a04de52936e03.png

After the template is saved you should see this confirmation at the bottom of the note: image.png.c3a7fc67db55db90e95078b1c500b4af.png

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Stefano Bonnini said:

I found that shortcut CTRL+ENTER don't run. 

What is Ctrl+Enter supposed to do?

Edit: Ctrl+Enter is supposed to open a note in a new Window, but I think it only works focus is in  your note list, not when focus is inside a note. I don't know whether that's changed behavior or not.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Stefano Bonnini said:

As wrote in "Note menu", CTRL+Enter open note in a new window.

S.

Just checking - that's exactly what happens for me.  Double-clicking the title in List view has the same effect.  I'm also on 6.15.2

4 minutes ago, jefito said:

What is Ctrl+Enter supposed to do?

Edit: Ctrl+Enter is supposed to open a note in a new Window, but I think it only works focus is in  your note list, not when focus is inside a note. I don't know whether that's changed behavior or not.

Yes, I confirm that if focus is on note in notelist the shortcut run. Thanks for all.

I remember that in some previous version with ESC button it was possibile to "move" the focus from note editor to note list, keeping the focus on the current note.

In this version ESC button is ignored. Why?

• Level 5*

Hmmn. 

Clarification on my note above - I mean Ctrl+Enter does open the note in a new window.  I do notice that when I open a note containing a PDF file in its own window,  the PDF shows as a single dark line even when it shows normally in the original note...  tried several notes, including recent ones. 

ScreenClip2.jpg.a930fc79d95b4c41117f4a296535bae2.jpg

I have a note that will not save as a template.  I thought it was because there was an empty line at the very top, so I removed the line, didn't help, then I noted that it is mostly tables, so I tried another note heavy with tables.  No problem with the other note.

I tried the Ctrl-Help menu: Fix selected Note.  Didn't help.

Then I tried to duplicate the note.  The duplicate also will not save as a template. 

I also deleted the edited title to allow the first line to become the title.  Didn't help.

The only issue with the note is that it will not save as a template, otherwise it will sync, etc, doesn't misbehave in any other way that I can see.

It doesn't contain personal information, so I would be willing to email it to support or even paste it here,  if that would help (it was a template I created in the first place).

3 hours ago, CalS said:

Any chance another template exists with that name?  Copy/paste into a new note?  Rebuild from scratch?

Found the problem, templates will not tolerate an apostrophe character (') anywhere in the title or first line, like in the phrase Today's Date.

I would like to suggest that "Save as template" be moved from the three dot menu to the File menu, as a more intuitive place to look for any item called "Save as".  

I hear this is already the case on the Mac, if so this small change would contribute towards the policy of making the user interface more uniform across platforms. 

I installed 6.15 beta 2 because support said a problem where content was being overwritten by other note content was fixed in this release.  I was running 6.14 beta (something).  Two issues:

1) Seems to have more performance issues than 6.14

2) It's crashing all the time.  Unfortunately, after crashing, it will not restart.  I have to log out, switch user, or restart to be able to launch again.  Huge time waster.  If it does it again I'm going back to 6.14.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, eafpres said:

I installed 6.15 beta 2 because support said a problem where content was being overwritten by other note content was fixed in this release.  I was running 6.14 beta (something).  Two issues:

1) Seems to have more performance issues than 6.14

2) It's crashing all the time.  Unfortunately, after crashing, it will not restart.  I have to log out, switch user, or restart to be able to launch again.  Huge time waster.  If it does it again I'm going back to 6.14.

You can use task manager to shut down the EN process and then restart.  PITA, but quicker than logging out.  

12 minutes ago, CalS said:

You can use task manager to shut down the EN process and then restart.  PITA, but quicker than logging out.  

When it crashes, the process disappears from the Task Manager and clicking on the taskbar icon, or choosing from start will not relaunch it. ?

2 minutes ago, eafpres said:

When it crashes, the process disappears from the Task Manager and clicking on the taskbar icon, or choosing from start will not relaunch it. ?

You should still see evernote processes under Background Processes  in the task manager.  For me, it disappears off the application list in task manager, but has always been there in background processes.   Kill all the processes (2-3 of them) and it should restart.

Not sure where I should be posting this in all honestly - I've been playing with Web version, Windows version, and iOS version tonight.. but for anyone from Evernote here, one of those platforms stripped one of my notes of my emojis.    The title was left alone, but every emoji in the note itself is gone.    Now, some readers will say sure it's emoji's - who cares - but we have them, I figure might as well use them - they actually make my "start note" (a table of contents essentially) quick and easy to reference from.  

Anyway, Evernote should NOT be altering a users data in this way, so please do some research into finding the problem and get it corrected.  I'll try to play around a bit more and see if I can narrow down what OS altered the note.

There is an issue when applying the bold style to Notebook or Tag names followed by syncing between two Windows computers (or maybe between a Win7 and a Win10,  which is what I have, I don't have access to another Win10 to test).

Applying the bold style to Notebook or Tag names may result in rendering them invisible (white on white) when changing the Left panel theme to light.  This can be remedied by reapplying the bold style to the names. 

The problem is that whichever EN installation gets fixed in this manner, when syncing, it will cause the problem to appear on the other computer.  If I fix the problem on the other computer then sync, the problem will return to the first computer.

Is this a Win7 vs Win10 issue?  Either way, I have reported it, I find I can reproduce it reliably as described above. 

It has been around through several version already, but I did not get around to testing how it happens reliably till today.

5 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

There is an issue when syncing between two Windows computers (or maybe between a Win7 and a Win10,  which is what I have, I don't have access to another Win10 to test).

Applying the bold style to either Notebooks or tags names may result in rendering them invisible (white on white) when changing the Left panel theme to light.  This can be remedied by reapplying the bold style to the names.  The problem is that whichever computer gets fixed like this, when syncing, it will cause the problem to appear on the other computer.  If I fix the problem on the other computer then sync, the problem will return to the first computer.

Is this a Win7 vs Win10 issue?  Either way, I have reported it, I find I can reproduce it reliably as described above. 

It has been around through several version already, but I did not get around to testing how it happens reliably till today.

Tags view does this too.. I reported it back in March. This bug seems to fall on deaf ears everytime I bring it up though. 

12 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Tags view does this too.. I reported it back in March. This bug seems to fall on deaf ears everytime I bring it up though. 

Yes, Tags view looks really messed up when this happens. Is your case also a Win7 and a Win10 computer?  That would help explain what is happening. 

And maybe why it isn't getting fixed.  Perhaps fixing a display problem in a dying Windows version is not exactly a top priority, except that it affects Win10 when synced.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, eafpres said:

Sort by process and stop everything but clipper.  It’s what I see anyway. 

8 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Yes, Tags view looks really messed up when this happens. Is your case also a Win7 and a Win10 computer?  That would help explain what is happening. 

And maybe why it isn't getting fixed.  Perhaps fixing a display problem in a dying Windows version is not exactly a top priority, except that it affects Win10 when synced.

I am using on multiple Windows 10 systems - none are Win7 machines,  it definitely isn't triggered within Windows 7 at all.

3 hours ago, ej8899 said:

I am using on multiple Windows 10 systems - none are Win7 machines,  it definitely isn't triggered within Windows 7 at all.

That would make it a serious enough problem.  Maybe tech support cannot reproduce it?  I have not seen this mentioned before, so it might be something not everyone is seeing.  I only know I can reproduce it reliably.

6 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

That would make it a serious enough problem.  Maybe tech support cannot reproduce it?  I have not seen this mentioned before, so it might be something not everyone is seeing.  I only know I can reproduce it reliably.

Going back to my notes (in evernote of course, lol), I see I made a note that they did acknowledge it...  March 23 2018.  I just didn't note who acknowledged it, or anything further on the response.  I figured it would have been a quick fix for them.. but here we are 6 months later and clearly the same bug affecting other areas of EN as well. 

http://www.evernote.com/l/AJDRYO7yD5pNGqe8lTVHvR9A-JyKoYf4NZA/

• Level 5*

OK I'm now on 6.15 GA and as someone else noted - there are no templates.  The feature seems to have been completely removed.  There's no problem with keeping your own Template library and copying those notes to create a new one from template,  but the embedded app process is no more.  ?

38 minutes ago, gazumped said:

OK I'm now on 6.15 GA and as someone else noted - there are no templates. 

It's currently enabled (by the server) only for betas. I can't speak about timelines for GA... (besides, I actually don't know them!)

Archived