linking Gdocs -- new curse coming up!

kiwiads

linking to Gdocs places a *useless image-view of link, instead of the plain text.
Is there a way to get rid of it, like it was in the other links (maybe older versions?).

Why evernote keeps introducing unnecessary features that take so much UI,
making text-reading so long and difficult? Can these features be reverted?

* useless = is anyone there telling me what additional info I get form the view? is anyone there
understanding I cannot read the link to check it's correct? the right-click is useless, I HAVE TO
CLICK EXACTELY THE GOOGLE IMAGE dots NOW (cannot copy the link like the other familiar
in evernote). ARE YOU GOOGLE OR EVERNOTE? ARE YOU DISAPPEARING EATEN BY GOOGLE
AFTER THIS NEW PARTNERSHIP?

attached
---------------------------------
http://www.evernote.com/l/AIgZWuOZ7XtND6-3s3t-XVtQ-qpW7urytfw/

evlink-curse.jpg

is for that google analytics I'm paying the bill? have you asked me for privacy concern about it? are you all then FOX round to make people the bunch of idiots in the palyground? is google analytics stuff now slowing down the things that I have to expect form the bill? will be happy receiving some answer about all of this terrible stuff coming down the sky.

ev-g-analytics.jpg

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're a (mainly) user-supported forum here,  and apart from the developers and admins who lurk around, you won't (usually) get any 'official' public response to a single user query.  As a subscriber you can raise a support comment or query to get an individual response - though that can take a while...

The Support team is available on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new, or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that link won't work for you. 

Personally I don't see the benefit of the fancy feature either - I can jump directly into my linked Google Docs account through the app icons,  but I can do that with Google - and any other cloud storage option - just by adding the URL of the file to a note.  No special feature required.  There may be some better payoff down the line,  but if it exists,  that's not been shared with us yet...

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, kiwiads said:

linking to Gdocs places a *useless image-view of link, instead of the plain text.
Is there a way to get rid of it, like it was in the other links (maybe older versions?).

It's my choice

I'm not seeing the problem here.1987996052_ScreenShot2018-09-03at07_48_47.png.5503b7d980288af101cc8b3cf227fb4d.png
I can use the Google Drive integration, or link to file like other links

thank you all for suggestions and hints. Indeed I came here after the support better redirected me - here :-)

@dtlow I'm wondering why there is not the problem with your version. maybe it's not the same ver.
should you have any detail pls help.

I have the 6.14.5.7671 (307671) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483)

it's sad evernote team became so disregarding of users, only thinking to make deal with eat-me-co
like google. very risky to go on with notes thinking google can delete-read all of you stuff. I did not like
the google analytics registry settling, they don't even asked for privacy.

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not seeing the problem here.1987996052_ScreenShot2018-09-03at07_48_47.png.5503b7d980288af101cc8b3cf227fb4d.png
I can use the Google Drive integration, or link to file the like other links

very lucky you. Once I paste the link it turns into the image-view outright. don't know how to change the behaviour.
should you have any suggetion will be grateful. thanks!

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Try logging out of Google Docs?  The fancy link should disappear - until you log back in...

thank you for suggestion. it works! still I cannot afford it , since I work with both Gdocs and evernote

at the same time. The only way doing it would be taking notes in notepad, logging out and pasting in evernote,

does it make sense paying evernote for pasting notepad?

True is - thanks to theese business people - now it's impossible to write your own notes, you have to ask google doing for you,

and google changes your notes the way he likes. you are the paying-idiot. Not to mention the compulsory G-analytics they're going to push in without notice. Will search some privacy guy for details about....

• Level 5*

I'm getting confused I think.  You work with Google Docs,  but you object to Evernote showing a 'prettier' link with their Google feature because it might mean your data is being sniffed by Google?  If there's any security implication with Google your best bet would be to quit using Google and save documents in DropBox or one of the other zillion cloud alternatives.  Evernote have already said on this forum somewhere that their analytics are about how users interact with the UI and web services - ie what they use and how - but they will not sell or otherwise share or disclose information about individuals unless they're ordered to do so by a court.  And you don't need anyone's permission to create a note - you can draft it in a Local Notebook which is unsynced,  offline and as secure as your computer is.  What you do with it after that is up to you... 

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm getting confused I think.  You work with Google Docs,  but you object to Evernote showing a 'prettier' link with their Google feature because it might mean your data is being sniffed by Google?  If there's any security implication with Google your best bet would be to quit using Google and save documents in DropBox or one of the other zillion cloud alternatives.  Evernote have already said on this forum somewhere that their analytics are about how users interact with the UI and web services - ie what they use and how - but they will not sell or otherwise share or disclose information about individuals unless they're ordered to do so by a court.  And you don't need anyone's permission to create a note - you can draft it in a Local Notebook which is unsynced,  offline and as secure as your computer is.  What you do with it after that is up to you... 

thank you for clarification - I'm not very keen to evernote policy, now I got it better. Indeed I rely on evernote for security, this is why seeing my links are disregarded and substituted with useless Google served stuffs eemed me very intrusive. because my text is taken by your server and the MS-application, than changed into G-garbage flipped into a note, just treating me like an idiot trying writing his own notes. Plus, the image makes the link unusable for reading and formatting. It seems I I have no right to format my own written links. I'm just the stupid paying user.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kiwiads said:

my text is taken by your server

Not mine - apologies if it wasn't already clear, but this is a -mainly- user supported forum and almost all the comments you see are from other individual users.

7 minutes ago, kiwiads said:

changed into G-garbage flipped into a note

AFAIK the actual link is the same,  Evernote just show it in a fancy icon.  Nothing is changed.

9 minutes ago, kiwiads said:

It seems I I have no right to format my own written links.

Actually that's the internet.  Normally we get the choice between a text link like this https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/115950-linking-gdocs-new-curse-coming-up/?tab=comments#comment-515832 or link text as here (same link) or an image.  There aren't,  as far as I know,  any other user-choosable options.  This forum (also not Evernote) prefers to show you a snippet of the actual post as here -

(Still using the same link...)

Now that I mention it,  I have gotten around the forum by using a Bitly link shortcut.  If you prefer a link and have to stay logged into Google,  this might be the way to go... https://www.lifewire.com/shortening-long-links-3486603

Here's the bitly example of this link shortened:  http://bit.ly/2wE8GDx

20 minutes ago, kiwiads said:

I'm just the stupid paying user.

As are we all - if you check around the forums,  there's lots of Evernote app behaviour that various people strongly disapprove of,  paying or not.  Like it or not,  it's Evernote's product.  We can only register opinions - they get to decide whether or not to listen...

11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Not mine - apologies if it wasn't already clear, but this is a -mainly- user supported forum and almost all the comments you see are from other individual users.

AFAIK the actual link is the same,  Evernote just show it in a fancy icon.  Nothing is changed.

Actually that's the internet.  Normally we get the choice between a text link like this https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/115950-linking-gdocs-new-curse-coming-up/?tab=comments#comment-515832 or link text as here (same link) or an image.  There aren't,  as far as I know,  any other user-choosable options.  This forum (also not Evernote) prefers to show you a snippet of the actual post as here -

(Still using the same link...)

Now that I mention it,  I have gotten around the forum by using a Bitly link shortcut.  If you prefer a link and have to stay logged into Google,  this might be the way to go... https://www.lifewire.com/shortening-long-links-3486603

Here's the bitly example of this link shortened:  http://bit.ly/2wE8GDx

As are we all - if you check around the forums,  there's lots of Evernote app behaviour that various people strongly disapprove of,  paying or not.  Like it or not,  it's Evernote's product.  We can only register opinions - they get to decide whether or not to listen...

I understand...... there is no option there.....
I write some notes and evernote will change it making a mess... so I cannot read it back.

• Level 5*

Now I'm even more confused.  If you want to see the content of your note 'inline' - ie as part of the note and not as an icon,  then you have two choices:  either type directly into an Evernote note and save it to Evernote,  or use a file type that can be 'read' by Evernote and shown as part of the note even though it is an attached file. (That would be PDF or -on some systems- MSOffice file formats.) 

None of this works - ever - if you save your work in a file on an external drive.

If you're talking about saving a text link as above,  because your file name has some special significance,  then grabbing the Google Docs link,  highlighting your preferred text and using Ctrl+K to create an 'active' link on that text should do the job.

Looking back on your original post,  you seemed to be saying that the file URL which occupies 5 lines of complicated text is better than a simple icon pointing to the file.  You could add your file name to the link if the content is important,  just add text without the 'http://' as the main link,  or somewhere close to it.

Archived