Is there a way to find duplicate titles?

I'm trying to find duplicates. It turns out that my duplicates would have the same title and the same creation date.

Anyway to search for duplicates?  I am using a workaround right now, but I'd sure prefer to have Evernote list them all for me. 

• Level 5

There is no built-in Evernote feature to find duplicates. Are you talking about hundreds of duplicates or just a handful?

I'd sort through recent notes (sorted by created date). Perhaps the most recent 30 days or so. If I couldn't find any, then I would not worry about it. A few duplicate notes won't adversely affect Evernote. If there are some, eventually I would stumble across them. Then I'd have a better clue where the other duplicates are located.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, lisec said:

Anyway to search for duplicates?  I am using a workaround right now, but I'd sure prefer to have Evernote list them all for me. 

There's no "duplicates" feature in Evernote but there's a feature in Excel.
This would require getting your data to a spreadsheet which is another challenge.

Any chance of you converting to a Mac?  We have scripting tools to take care of this.

• Like 1

jbenson2, I made the mistake of copying 3 private folders from my main laptop into my tablet/laptop, and then ended up updating both of them with different info over a 2 year period, so I had to find the extra notes in both notebooks.

If this ever happens to anyone else, here's what I did: I exported the local notebook from one laptop and imported it into the other. I put them both under a stack so that I could see all the notes in both notebooks by selecting the stack. Then I sorted by name. I was seeing duplicates everywhere, and when there was a single I moved it somewhere else.  It would have been much simpler with a 'find duplicate' tool within Evernote though, that's for sure. At one point I swore I was going blind...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, lisec said:

It would have been much simpler with a 'find duplicate' tool within Evernote though

Totally agree.  Like JB2 I know I have dups,  but unless they annoy me by popping up in a list or a search I don't think its worth the effort of finding and killing them.  In Windows I have been able to Ctrl+A Copy in List view and Paste to Excel* so that I have active links to all notes,  then used spreadsheet features to find and extract them. 

Then it was a s-l-o-w process of opening two notes to compare,  deleting one,  then moving to the next.  I gave up pretty quickly.  Now I think I'd do this in two stages - set up an autotext option to tag a note with 'duplicate',  then open each note and tag / then go back to Evernote and search the tag / sort by title.

A utility would be SO much easier...

* this would be created date,  name (link),  and size.  I have notes with the same name and different contents which all concern a single something - meeting / event / purchase etc.,  so duplicate searches are.. interesting.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, lisec said:

I'm trying to find duplicates. It turns out that my duplicates would have the same title and the same creation date.

My method to find outliers has been to do a Ctrl-C on the note list (side list view) and paste in Excel.  Followed by some Excel compares and the like.  Would help zero in on duplicates but not help at all in removing them, unless there is something systemic about how the dups were created at which point some manipulating in EN might be possible.  Depending upon the number of notes sometimes brute force is quicker IAC.

All that being said, a utility to remove dups sounds like a good idea to me.

• Like 2

Like everyone else I know I have duplicates in there somewhere and I just remove them when I come across them. This particular situation was a stupid mistake on my part. The excel thing (I would have used google sheets) would probably have been simpler with a query to just display non-duplicates. I'll remember that next time.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
On 9/2/2018 at 7:27 PM, DTLow said:

This would require getting your data to a spreadsheet which is another challenge.

Any chance of you converting to a Mac?  We have scripting tools to take care of this.

scripting tools for Mac? Please tell me where to find them! Duplicates are for me a nightmare! Thanks.

• 3 years later...
On 3/9/2018 at 4:27, DTLow dijo:

Some years have passed, is there any method to search for duplicates. I haven't tried your script as I don't have access to it.

Thanks