An Evergreen Issue with Evernote

Etonreve

Idea

The Desktop version isn't working.

I never could get it to work on my old laptop. I wondered if it was because it was three or four years old and loaded with a lot of resource-gobbling programs. I contacted Customer Support many times and one person told me it was an Evernote problem.

Fast forward to three weeks ago. I have a brand new laptop, very powerful and with as much space as Montana. The Desktop version still doesn't work. I went to the Troubleshooting page, but the suggestions didn't help. I'm talking to Customer Service again, which is looking into it.

At least the Web version works.

6 replies to this idea

Recent versions of EN for Windows sometimes freeze and become unresponsive for no apparent reason, to the point I have to reboot, but I cannot easily reproduce when/how it happens, so I have not reported it, and it seems to happen less often with the most recent update of Windows 10. 

Not sure if this is what you are seeing, I am hoping it is a beta issue, since I follow betas. 

Most of the time it works ok for me.

20 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Recent versions of EN for Windows sometimes freeze and become unresponsive for no apparent reason, to the point I have to reboot, but I cannot easily reproduce when/how it happens, so I have not reported it, and it seems to happen less often with the most recent update of Windows 10. 

Not sure if this is what you are seeing, I am hoping it is a beta issue, since I follow betas. 

Most of the time it works ok for me.

EN for Windows always froze (the techs use the term "hang up") and I could never use it. I had to open the web version. Now that I have a new computer I thought the Desktop version would finally work. But it hangs up, and a lot of the time I can't open it at all.  It also has synced less than 1/3 of my notes in three or four weeks.

The Customer Service person I spoke to was pleasant (they always are); maybe this time they'll come with a solution but I'm wary.

• Level 5*

Though many have had performance issues with EN, for whatever reason I have not. 

• Could very well be a use case thing.
    • My use case is primarily paperless, documentation, projects, and GTD.
    • I use a 5 year old Lenovo X230 laptop with an SSD and 8GB of memory.  So not the quickest machine on planet earth.
    • Windows 10 Pro.
    • 19GB data base with 39k notes.
    • I don't have a lot of long notes.
    • I do have a lot of PDFs, a little over half of the total notes, 20,323.
  • I do remove any of the MS stuff that runs and eats cycles.  I have found that Windows search is a particular offender.
  • Other than that standard stuff.

Not clear to me what the secret sauce is that enables my EN to run fast.  I can't quite tell, but I think certain aspects of the current GA are faster yet.  Any saved search presents the results instantaneously, like the PDF count above. 

Not nay-saying that issues exist, just saying I am having a different experience, for whatever reason(s).

Archived