Add an option to not add a shortcut on Desktop when installing

filoppi

Idea

Especially during an update. I don't want a shortcut on my desktop, and neither in my start menu, as i've got evernote pinned to my taskbar, a shortcut anywhere else is wasted space that makes my pc more messy.
So to recap: An option to decide whether or not to install a shortcut on the desktop and in the start menu. During a program update, do not recreate the shortcuts (because if they are not there, they have been manually deleted).

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, filoppi said:

During a program update, do not recreate the shortcuts (because if they are not there, they have been manually deleted).

Hi.  If Evernote was uninstalled from the system,  a desktop shortcut might have been removed too...

In the grand scheme of things an extra desktop icon is not a major issue - and easily removed.  Given that a LOT of people complained that they weren't seeing a desktop shortcut after updates,  I can imagine Evernote might be a little twitchy about changing the process again,  and personally I like updates to be over as quickly as possible,  without extra random choices like 'create shortcut on desktop'?  (Though I think that is an option on a fresh install.)

If you'd like me to I can move this to a voting forum to see how many others find this an issue?

I don't see why people would complain about not seeing a desktop shortcut after updates. If it was there already, it will stay there, if it wasn't there, it won't be even after.
A desktop shortcut should only be added on first install. What i really dislike is maintenance. Evernote is the only program in my PC that does this, why don't the others do it? It is the only program that after an update requires me additional maintenance to keep my PC tidy.
Yes i would agree to a vote.

• Like 3
On 8/29/2018 at 12:12 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  If Evernote was uninstalled from the system,  a desktop shortcut might have been removed too...

In the grand scheme of things an extra desktop icon is not a major issue - and easily removed.  Given that a LOT of people complained that they weren't seeing a desktop shortcut after updates,  I can imagine Evernote might be a little twitchy about changing the process again,  and personally I like updates to be over as quickly as possible,  without extra random choices like 'create shortcut on desktop'?  (Though I think that is an option on a fresh install.)

If you'd like me to I can move this to a voting forum to see how many others find this an issue?

Any progress on the vote?

On 8/29/2018 at 6:12 AM, gazumped said:

an extra desktop icon is not a major issue - and easily removed. 

"Easy" is of course relative but on my machine the desktop is locked by corporate IT. I have to give a one-time exception to the Evernote exe to update then I have to take many steps to delete the icon it puts on my desktop. (Find cmd.exe, give it a one-time exception to run, navigate to the public desktop, then delete from the command line.) It is not as simple as clicking an icon and hitting delete. I second filoppi's statement - this is just about the ONLY program I have that puts an icon on the desktop without asking me. (The other offender is Adobe.)

• Like 1