Checkboxes in Evernote Android app

The Evernote Android app has a toolbar button to insert an empty checkbox, but I can't find how to tick the box or insert a ticked box. You can do it from the touch keyboard, but the sequence is long and tedious to insert [x] because of the need to switch the keyboard to enter the square bracket, then back to normal for the x, then the square bracket again. Is there a single key work-around?

• Level 5

Hi, Mike, and welcome to the forums! I used my "Guru" superpowers :D to move your post to the Android help forum, where it may get more focused attention. Which version of the app are you using? Can you post a screenshot of the toolbar button for a checkbox that is not working?

Sorry, Guru, but I can't find an easy way to take a screenshot on the phone and then save it to Drive and thence to my PC to send to you. The checkbox button appears on the toolbar in Evernote for Android, in the line of icons, just to the right of Bold, Italic and Underline. It does work, in that it places an empty checkbox into the text. But you cannot do anything with that checkbox, and you can't 'tick' it (e.g. by typing a space, as on a PC). As far as I can tell, it is simply a checkbox symbol character with no functionality. I would be happy with that if there were a simpler way of inserting a ticked checkbox.

The App is version 8.3 and I am running Android 7.0.

Cheers, Mike

• Level 5*
On 8/26/2018 at 4:05 AM, Mike Gatehouse said:

The Evernote Android app has a toolbar button to insert an empty checkbox, but I can't find how to tick the box or insert a ticked box.

I just tap on the checkbox in the note to toggle them on or off. As far as I know, there's no way to insert a checked box in any Evernote client; you insert a unchecked box, and check it by tapping on it.

• Level 5

Mike, my experience is the same as @jefito's. I'm still on v. 8.1 of the app. I hope this hasn't been dis-improved in the newer versions!

BTW & FWIW, these forums slap a "guru" label on you when you reach a certain number of posts. I use the title only with deep irony. As in: "guru" :blink:

4 hours ago, Mike Gatehouse said:

Sorry, Guru, but I can't find an easy way to take a screenshot on the phone and then save it to Drive and thence to my PC to send to you. The checkbox button appears on the toolbar in Evernote for Android, in the line of icons, just to the right of Bold, Italic and Underline. It does work, in that it places an empty checkbox into the text. But you cannot do anything with that checkbox, and you can't 'tick' it (e.g. by typing a space, as on a PC). As far as I can tell, it is simply a checkbox symbol character with no functionality. I would be happy with that if there were a simpler way of inserting a ticked checkbox.

The App is version 8.3 and I am running Android 7.0.

Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike! On Android expected functionality is that tapping directly on the checkbox after you insert it into the note should toggle the checkmark on or off. If this isn't working, it may be a bug we haven't found yet, in which case it would be helpful if you contacted support with details about which device you are using, which will help is track down whats causing the issue. Hope that it gets resolved soon!

Archived