Ctrl-Alt-V as Paste and Match style

Don Dz

Idea

Sorry if this has been asked already, but can Ctrl-Alt-V be made to behave as Paste and Match style?

If not, this is a feature request.  ?

Just in case it wasn't clear, I am asking for copy and paste from another program into Evernote as plain text, without opening Evernote, currently this operation is not in plain text (or match style).

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Don Dz said:

copy and paste from another program into Evernote as plain text, without opening Evernote

Hi.  I'm confused by "without opening Evernote ".  How do you paste into Evernote without a note to paste into?  (That sounded more coherent in my head...)

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I'm confused by "without opening Evernote ".  How do you paste into Evernote without a note to paste into?  (That sounded more coherent in my head...)

Ok, currently, in order to Paste and match style, I have to copy a selection, then press Ctrl-Alt-N to open a new note, then press Ctrl-Shift-V.

Ctrl-Alt-V sends the copied selection straight into Evernote without opening a note first or even opening the main program window at all, but it preserves the original formatting, so I am looking for something like Ctrl-Alt-Shift-V, or something like that. 

Maybe I am not grasping what you are asking.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The Evernote shortcut key (i.e global to Windows) for the "Paste clipboard" is by default Ctrl+Alt+V; it copies whatever's on the clipboard into a new note.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, jefito said:

The Evernote shortcut key (i.e global to Windows) for the "Paste clipboard" is by default Ctrl+Alt+V; it copies whatever's on the clipboard into a new note.

Ah.  I knew that.  Usually have Evernote open all the time,  so never needed to use it yet...  ;)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Ah.  I knew that.  Usually have Evernote open all the time,  so never needed to use it yet...  ;)

Right, and if I'm researching something, or collecting bug information/screenshots/whatever I already have a note created for that purpose; I don't need to open a new one. But handy anyways.

12 hours ago, jefito said:

Right, and if I'm researching something, or collecting bug information/screenshots/whatever I already have a note created for that purpose; I don't need to open a new one. But handy anyways.

I find Ctrl-Alt-V much more useful than the web clipper (too many steps), except often I prefer to save information as plain text, which entails more steps than I would prefer.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I find Ctrl-Alt-V much more useful than the web clipper (too many steps), except often I prefer to save information as plain text, which entails more steps than I would prefer.

It's not clear how the web clipper has "too many steps" when it lets me clip to a new note (as a copy of the web content, as simplified content, a screen shot or just a simple bookmarK), assign its notebook and tags (automatically in some cases), not to mention all of the shortcuts available (since I don't use them) all from  one dialog. Ctrl+Alt+ forces me to go to  the note and do more work. I use the web clipper a lot more than Ctrl+Alt+V or even copy/paste from a web page into a note (existing or otherwise). Not sure what I'm missing here; maybe it just depends on what one typically captures?

On 8/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, jefito said:

It's not clear how the web clipper has "too many steps" when it lets me clip to a new note (as a copy of the web content, as simplified content, a screen shot or just a simple bookmarK), assign its notebook and tags (automatically in some cases), not to mention all of the shortcuts available (since I don't use them) all from  one dialog. Ctrl+Alt+ forces me to go to  the note and do more work. I use the web clipper a lot more than Ctrl+Alt+V or even copy/paste from a web page into a note (existing or otherwise). Not sure what I'm missing here; maybe it just depends on what one typically captures?

It's probably just the difference between your familiarity with a habitually used tool vs my occasional use (I don't get good results trying to capture only part of a page with the different options, except the screen shot tool, which is graphical in nature).  Ctrl-Alt-V is less fiddly for quick stuff, for me at least.

Plus in my GTD based work flow, everything captured normally goes into my Inbox Notebook for later processing, and preparing EN in advance to automatically assign a tag and Notebook is easy enough.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Plus in my GTD based work flow, everything captured normally goes into my Inbox Notebook for later processing, and preparing EN in advance to automatically assign a tag and Notebook is easy enough.

Sure, and that's easy to set up with the web clipper as well, but if Ctrl+Alt+V is your tool of choice, then that's fine too. Just no way to do the match-style portion of what you want...

Archived