suddenly .msi missing for no reason!

Have used Evernote for years (currently using v. 6.11.2). Just tried to open on desktop (Windows 10) and got error messages re. " Installation package cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package Evernote.msi"

I was not trying to upgrade, have not updated anything (Evernote or otherwise) recently. It was working fine on desktop the other day. Also, Evernote currently working fine on mobile device.

Evernote Error Msg 1.jpg

• Level 5*

Hi.  Don't know of any reason why Evernote would try to reinstall itself unless your current version still has 'auto update' set and was trying to update itself to 6.14 (which is the current version).  The app on your Windows device is,  of course,  nothing to do with the apps on other devices,  though they do share data between them.

I'd suggest you restart your computer and try starting Evernote again.  If you have the same error you may need to install 6.11 again to refresh the files on your hard drive.  You would be able to download that install file from here:  Evernote 6.11.2.7027 (Released: 03 Apr 2018)

Thank you! Reboot had no effect, so downloaded and re-installed 6.11.2.7027 from your link. All looks good and seems to be working fine. Much appreciated.  Do you think it's worth updating to 6.14?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, KateAA said:

Thank you! Reboot had no effect, so downloaded and re-installed 6.11.2.7027 from your link. All looks good and seems to be working fine. Much appreciated.  Do you think it's worth updating to 6.14?

No problem.  If you're happy with 6.11 I'd suggest you stay there for a while.  Check out the 6.13 release thread for comments and to make your own judgement on whether to update. 

- There is no 6.14 official thread at the moment,  but an internet search for "Evernote Windows 6.14" -without the quotes- will get you some more links.

6.15 is out in beta and it seems pretty good,  but again I'd suggest you check the general release thread when it appears pinned in the Forum home page for comments.  Leave it a month before updating.

First rule of computing - never be first to try something out!  ?

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Don't know of any reason why Evernote would try to reinstall itself

This can happen when Windows thinks a file has been modified (or deleted) from what was originally installed. MSI automatically attempts to fix it. But fails.

Archived