Backspace key ignores leading spaces

Windows Evernote 6.14.5.7671 (307671) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483)

Not sure, but I think this could be a recently introduced bug...

On a new line, if I type a SPACE, SPACE, and then BACKSPACE:

Actual result: It deletes the BOTH spaces on that line and  positions the cursor to the end of the previous line.

Expected result: It should delete ONE of the spaces, moving the cursor back one position (ahead of the first space I typed)

This is extremely annoying since I often type code snippets into Evernote, so I often type 4, 8, 12, or 16 leading spaces to indent the code, but if I overshoot by 1 character and press backspace, I have to retype that line.

I looked under Tools -> Options -> Note (Advanced) but could not see any settings to explain this behavior.

Thanks

Jason 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jlfreund said:

This is extremely annoying since I often type code snippets into Evernote, so I often type 4, 8, 12, or 16 leading spaces to indent the code, but if I overshoot by 1 character and press backspace, I have to retype that line.

Sounds like a bug. Note that it appears to behave properly if there's a non-space character following the space you're trying to backspace over, so that might be a workaround until it's fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely a newly introduced bug in the 6.14 update.  It appears that Evernote doesn't handle multiple adjacent spaces well.  Another way to see this bug at work (assuming it is the same broken functionality), is try pasting some text over some existing selected text.  Assuming a typical sentence structure, you will lose the leading space before the selected area.  

Example:
1) Say you have the sentence "This is some text"
2) Copy some text to the clipboard, even from the same note body.  In this example we'll use the word "my".
3) Select the word "some" from the sentence above, and paste the clipboard text over it.
4) Your resultant sentence will be "This ismy text."  Despite the now missing space not having been selected for the paste operation.

I have used this pasting technique regularly in Evernote and v6.14 is the first time I have noticed this behavior.  I would be willing to bet this is related to the same issue the OP is having.

ADDITIONALLY: After writing this post, I went back to the note I was editing and found that in some cases, it seems to remove blank lines from my notes when I leave the note and come back.  This one is harder to reproduce and seems to depend on the formatting and structure of the note.  But this kind of unpredictable and data-destructive bugginess makes Evernote completely unreliable and unusable as a business tool. I no longer feel safe leaving my notes and data at the hands of this product. 

• Level 5*
On 9/3/2018 at 8:57 AM, WeCanLearnAnything said:

while they pour tons of resources into rebranding and logo redesign

Resurrecting a quote from when you could buy Evernote branded socks

"Are you thinking they reassigned developers to knitting socks?"

>>Instead of spending $$$ on ...

That's true, the $ could have been used for other purposes.
I'm assuming there was a direct $ return from selling branded products.  
The return on Marketing/Branding is less tangible, but it's still an important function for a business.

>>This assumption is obviously unreasonable. If they made a lot of money doing it, they would have kept doing it. They stopped.

I don't have any information on how much money was made from this exercise.

>>Is it more important than copy/paste, backspace, enter key, having letters appear on the screen, etc.?

For myself, I have no interest in the Branding stuff.
For the Marketing Department, I'm sure the Branding exercise was more important than ....

>>you sure sound like you've decided to defend anything and everything they do no matter what!

I'm not into "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad"  posts
I'm not interested in the Branding stuff, but I'm not going post "Is it more important than ..." whining

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Resurrecting a quote from when you could buy Evernote branded socks

"Are you thinking they reassigned developers to knitting socks?"

No, of course not. But that's not how resources get allocated. It is not about a manager telling a current software developer to drop what they're doing to knit socks.

Instead of spending $$$ on sock knitters and logo/UI redesigners, Evernote could have spent that same $$$ on improving software quality. Evernote could have fired the knitters and logo/UI redesigners - or even better, not have hired them in the first place - and used the $$$ to decrease the frequency at which data randomly disappears, the enter key goes bonkers, backspace fails, copy/paste fails, etc.

Is there something about this you don't understand or disagree with?

On 9/3/2018 at 9:22 AM, DTLow said:

I'm assuming there was a direct $ return from selling branded products.

This assumption is obviously unreasonable. If they made a lot of money doing it, they would have kept doing it. They stopped.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:22 AM, DTLow said:

The return on Marketing/Branding is less tangible, but it's still an important function for a business.

Is it more important than copy/paste, backspace, enter key, having letters appear on the screen, etc.?

You may not be an employee of Evernote, but you sure sound like you've decided to defend anything and everything they do no matter what!

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't have any information on how much money was made from this exercise.

That's false. You do have some information on how much money was made from that exercise.

Not enough to keep it going.

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

>>Is it more important than copy/paste, backspace, enter key, having letters appear on the screen, etc.?

For the Marketing Department, I'm sure the Branding exercise was more important than ....

>>you sure sound like you've decided to defend anything and everything they do no matter what!

I'm not into "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad"  posts
I'm not interested in the Branding stuff, but I'm not going post "Is it more important than ..." whining

Yes, I'm sure the marketing department wanted more money. I'm not sure if the extra $$$ that went to them is more important than a functioning backspace key.

It's not so much whining as it is, I think, fair criticism of a multi-year and ongoing misallocation of resources. I would also really like anyone - Evernote staff or otherwise - to justify spending money on tasks such as (presumably) professional designers on iterating logos while ultra basic features, such as cursor, backspace, and focus, are so broken.

As soon as someone answers with a clear explanation OR if Evernote stops spending (wasting) $$$ on ultra superficial aspects of the software OR if Evernote makes their software work even 50% as reliably as this forum editor, I'll stop pestering them for an explanation. Until then, curiosity still drives me to post!

image.png.bcc8ad67174ee47c347b3fab7c936143.png

image.png.a80bf1e9198156c1ea90de831f3e7b3c.png

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

It's not so much whining as it is, I think, fair criticism 

You're highjacking this discussion (technical issue with the backspace key)
Please post your "fair criticism" elsewhere, perhaps start a Fair Criticism topic

Archived