New Windows Tray Icon

sl1200mk2

Idea

Hi, 

I'm usually very accepting of when applications update UI / UX. Things change and I get that not everyone will like it, however I'm hoping compromises and options can be made.  I personally have issue with the redesigned tray icon.  IMO, it's no longer easily identifiable given that most of the Windows native icons in the task bar are monochromatic as well.  I'm constantly clicking on the icon throughout the day and now it just blends in with everything else making it much more difficult (for me anyway) to use.  

May we have different options for this icon?  A green variant again?  Maybe one with a green outline?  Just something to provide additional options with more contrast that better stand out.

Regards -

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Agreed. Monochrome to me is the default windows stuff like battery level and wifi. All of my other apps, including MS apps (Outlook, Teams, OneNote, OneDrive) are not monochrome and are easily identifiable and associated with their parent app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

The OneDrive icon in the notification area on my machine is monochrome, as is Dropbox. There are no rules for taskbar icon color schemes; green, white, plaid, it's all pretty much the same to me, once I've adjusted (note: I'm using the 6.15.1 beta). That being said, it does seem a little weird that the taskbar icon  is green and the icon in the notification area is white -- they should probably both be the same color scheme.

I have OneDrive for Business on this machine, and it is blue. OneDrive (consumer) itself is a black/white icon, so while that is techincally monochrome, that is the product's branding and is consistent with the app, folder icons, and the system tray app.

At least on my machine, Evernote is the only app that has a system icon tray icon that isn't a mini-me version of the taskbar icon.

If you don't have a 20-year-old's eyes, the colour of the icon is a critical part of identifying it. At my normal viewing distance I cannot make out all the detail on the elephant such as the eye, the ear. Please consider the wide range of all your users and not just base it on the particular features of your UI designer. Please add an option for a green elephant or a green background to him.

Many thanks, David

• Like 1

Evernote:  Have you heard of the term "Brand Equity".  Please do us a favor and look it up.

For years, Evernote has been identified by its green elephant.  That IS the Evernote brand identifier. It's used on the main website, this discussion forum, the Android app, the iOS app, the browser extensions, the Windows client & desktop icons, the Macintosh client and icons, and probably a dozen other places.  One of Evernote's prime advantages over its rival (ahem) is its cross-platform ease of use.  Just look for that green elephant.

Well, now they've blown it and made it a colorless white meatball that lurks among the other colorless blobs in the Windows tray.  It's hard to spot quickly (even after weeks of use.. I thought I would get used to it.. nope) and just generally makes things harder for users, not easier.

Bring back the green icon.  Soon.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

That being said, it does seem a little weird that the taskbar icon  is green and the icon in the notification area is white -- they should probably both be the same color scheme.

And desktop links, that is ENEX files, are green on white, just to round out the options.

ScreenClip.png.bc714b9b5e8ae9d3e3ae8c6e1a1e7897.png

I listen to the podcast episode regarding the rebranding. Funny how they mention that the elephant and the green are part of the brand and they said they didn't plan on changing that. First we got this hideously bland white icon. Next the elephant will disappear. In addition to all the other bad, very bad '''improvements''' that started in version 6 I think it won't be long until I move to the better alternatives.

Thanks for listening to your users' feedback, Evernote Team! /s

• Like 2
On 10/22/2018 at 7:57 PM, DuvidJay said:

Well, from all the "informative messages" I have received from Evernote, plus this silly change of the colour of the icon, I now definitely have noted in my Google Calendar that Evernote's renewal must be cancelled. I've been with Evernote almost from the beginning as a personal user. I use it only for myself; I use it as an aide-memoire to enter reminders of time and date when I have taken certain medications which must not be repeated withing a certain timespell.

I have paid for Evernote Premium since one month after trying the free edition and being more than satisfied with all it could give me.

*NOW* - it is Evernote, bye-bye. Thanks for all of your [paid-for] help over the years but you no longer meet the needs of a "Personal" customer, despite your claims.

Did Evernote *ever* take note of the multiple complaints re the change of icon colour? If so, I have never seen an answer.

"You are old, Father DuvidJay," the young Evernote Man said

And your eyes are exceedingly poor!

Do NOT bother us with such petty complaints [about Green Elephants]

For we look for the subs from the ...

... Massive company sign-ups which we now wish to handle as against your own, singular, whining, whingeing complaints about the *colour* of the Elephant in your task-tray!

Your Tasktray is of no interest to us! For *WE* are the future! Evernote will one day RULE THE WORLD ...

... "Well, maybe, son" as my Daddy used to say, "But do be careful when you're ditchin' all that bathwater."

"Make sure you keep a hold of them babies who first paid their nickels and got you started ... "

• Like 1

They still haven't given us the option to change the icon?  I can't ever find the thing so I always end up using the actual icon for the program.  It's too hard to look for the white icon when a green one would be easy to see!

Are folks still expecting this to change? It should be very clear by now... Evernote doesn't care about what their paying users (you know -- the ones that actually use the app daily) really want. Instead, they want to focus things that will make it more friendly for your Nana to store her recipes in.  Just look at the abomination (at least is was the last time I looked) that is the beta of what the 'new' app is supposed to be. I've given up asking about improvements, because suggestions go without even being acknowledged. 

If you really want to change the icon it can be done if you're willing to put a little effort in and learn a couple of tools. The problem then becomes you have to repeat the process every time the app is updated as your changes will revert back.  I did it for a while, then gave up, because it became a hassle I didn't feel like dealing with.  Which is what Evernote wants you to do... just give up and succumb to whatever they want you to use.  

After almost 10 years of paying for "Premium" and almost 4K notes (probably a lightweight compared to some) this will likely be my last year. Apparently, I won't be the only one with users leaving in droves along with much of Evernote's executive team.  This will be another silicon valley fairy tale of how to spectacularly drive a company into the ground by not listening to your core audience.  Kudos!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

The OneDrive icon in the notification area on my machine is monochrome, as is Dropbox. There are no rules for taskbar icon color schemes; green, white, plaid, it's all pretty much the same to me, once I've adjusted (note: I'm using the 6.15.1 beta). That being said, it does seem a little weird that the taskbar icon  is green and the icon in the notification area is white -- they should probably both be the same color scheme.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I'll need to check my work machine, where we have GSuite. But yeah, the fact that it's white doesn't bother me, it's the fact that it's different that seems a little strange, particularly since it appears to be a static icon, i.e., one that's not used to indicate status (guidelines here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/uxguide/winenv-notification, not that I'm a UX expert, mind).

• Level 5*
On 8/21/2018 at 4:10 PM, EdH said:

At least on my machine, Evernote is the only app that has a system icon tray icon that isn't a mini-me version of the taskbar icon.

One more data point, for what it's worth: Dropbox's branding (and its standard icon) is blue boxes on a white background. In the notification area, it's monochrome: white boxes on a black background. It's the Wild West out there! No rules!

• Like 1

Well, from all the "informative messages" I have received from Evernote, plus this silly change of the colour of the icon, I now definitely have noted in my Google Calendar that Evernote's renewal must be cancelled. I've been with Evernote almost from the beginning as a personal user. I use it only for myself; I use it as an aide-memoire to enter reminders of time and date when I have taken certain medications which must not be repeated withing a certain timespell.

I have paid for Evernote Premium since one month after trying the free edition and being more than satisfied with all it could give me.

*NOW* - it is Evernote, bye-bye. Thanks for all of your [paid-for] help over the years but you no longer meet the needs of a "Personal" customer, despite your claims.

• Like 1

Dear Evernote:

There are MANY requests to give us (especially the paying customers) the options to choose the icon, especially the favorite icon being the 'Green' one as before.  But, I do not see any responses on this request.  Some companies at least indicate to the users that they will consider the request and put it on their 'feature list' or something.  Has any users here heard back from the product group regarding any possibilities on this feature request?  If not, I am pretty shocked on your lack of communications to your paying customers.

Dear fellow-frustrated-users:

Is there a way to set up the 'one' request, maybe the top of this thread, and tell people to upvote THIS one?  Perhaps, when they see the upvote goes to 1,000+ votes, then they will say at least something about this feature request for the future updates?  What do you think?

maybe most people just refused - but i'm annoyed everytime i want to lookup something in evernote.

searching the tray icon - in my tray there are a lot of icons - each of them can get identified easily, just evernote uses a light-gray circle with a white elephant in it.

why not switching to a white circle and a white elephant? 🙂 SNCR

maybe, the time of evernote is over - the features 2 years ago available where perfect - when there is no room for improvement, designers start to change already good things making things worse.

On my new laptop I didn't install dropbox, it's obsolete.

Everytim i have to search for the evernote-tray-icon i think about replacing evernote, too.

- the "white/gray" icon is a real "killer feature" 🙂

• Level 5

The thread is still about deprecated software. This means it is out of service, not taken care of any more, orphaned, whatever you want.

Nobody will do a damn about it. And nobody cares if you accept this fact or not.

• Sad 1