Looking for Evernote documentation: "Diagnosing and fixing Evernote performance problems"?

I,  like a number of commenters in these forums, frequently encounter Evernote performance problems.  Insofar as I can determine, a document/checklist/bibliography on "Diagnosing and repairing Evernote performance problems" does not exist; one must deal with performance problems on a ad-hoc basis, searching Evernote discussion forums and then stumbling through the reports and resolution of the performance problems de jour. 

Or does this document, or pieces thereof, exist and I'm just too dim to find it?
  • Level 5*

With the app constantly being updated and developed across multiple devices and operating systems it would be impossible for anyone to maintain an up to date list.  Best approach would be to raise issues here and on on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new if you're a subscriber or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that link won't work for you. 

Edit:  Oh and browsable help is also here.. https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

This is actually a pretty good idea for an article (or articles) so I'm going to look into getting it created and added to the help center! Feel free to post suggestions and possible FAQ questions in this thread and I will take them into consideration when drafting it.

to kick things off here a few things to try:

1. disable context:  

1. Select Tools > Options > Note
  2. Scroll down and select Show Advanced Options
  3. Uncheck Show Context

2. rebuild the database:

To rebuild your Evernote for Windows database, follow these steps:

If you don't have any unsynchronized notes, and you do not have Local notebooks, please skip to "Move your existing Evernote database." If you do have unsynchronized notes or local notebooks, follow these steps to export that content:

1. Select all unsynced notes, or each local notebook, then right-click and select Export Notes…
  2. Choose 'Export as a file in ENEX format (.enex)', then click Export
    • Detailed instructions here

Move your existing Evernote database:

1. Open Evernote for Windows
  2. Select File > Sign out… from the menu bar
  3. Select Evernote > Options > General > Open Database folder
  4. Move the [username].exb file to your desktop

You can now open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account, at which point Evernote will download all of your synced notes from the servers and create a new database on your computer. You can then import any exported notes by selecting File > Import from the menu bar and choosing the .enex file you exported earlier.

if searching your notes is slow:

Recreate the Full Text Search Index:

1. Press and hold Ctrl and click on Help at the top of the screen.
  2. Select Recreate Full Text Search Index > Reindex

To recreate Type Ahead Search Index, please take the steps above, but select Type Ahead Search Index instead. This process should start automatically.

Since you are a premium subscriber you also can contact support anytime to receive help via live chat or email: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new 

Ron Bauerle :Per your "This is actually a pretty good idea for an article (or articles) so I'm going to look into getting it created and added to the help center! Feel free to post suggestions and possible FAQ questions in this thread and I will take them into consideration when drafting it" ...

When I think about Evernote performance problem diagnosis and repair I imagine a diagnostic decision tree/network.  See examples[1].

One would 'enter' the decision tree at different SYMPTOM nodes, e.g.:
'Slow at "Search notes"'
'Slow at "New Note"'
'Slow at clipping in browser'

... the decision tree would lead you through DIAGNOSTICS and INTERVENTIONS.

A DIAGNOSTIC might be 'Check computer for available CPU and memory <... with a URL with how-to on performing the check>'.
[digression: my not-young Windows 7 PC will show Evernote performance problems before any other software shows performance problems.]

A INTERVENTION might be "Run 'Optimize Database' and 'Fix All Notes'" or "Close browser windows and open applications"

Traversal of the diagnostic tree might look like: 
'Slow at clipping in browser' -> 
'Check computer for available CPU and memory' ->
'NOT OK' ->
'Close browser windows and open applications' -> 
'Check computer for available CPU and memory' ->
'OK' ->
'Retest clipping in browser' -> 

[Digression: I need to find a piece of software that facilitates drawing the kind of diagnostic tree to which I elude, above.]

Archived