Jump to content

Sync problem after updating ver.8.15.1


Recommended Posts

I just updated Evernote to 8.15.1 version. However, it does not synchronize with my last data that I made in past....

I tried to sync access my last data by re-log into my account several times, but still does not work!!

I don't know why this happen;; The only thing to changed is that Evernote application update!

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
On 8/17/2018 at 5:03 PM, Stephen J said:

However, it does not synchronize with my last data that I made in past....

Are you seeing no data? The common cause of this is that you're logging in with the wrong userid/password.

Link to comment

I just upgraded and see no data either.

 

I signed out and signed in again and it is certainly the correct account - all my other devices are showing up in My Account - Devices.

 

Really annoying timing - we're about to leave for a four-day trip and it normally takes around a day to re-sync all my note metadata and a few offline notebooks

Link to comment

I'm forcing a deep sync (tap with two fingers on the Sync button).

So far it seems to be doing something but, unlike older versions, doesn't show anything in the All Notes whilst it is in the middle of Deep Sync.

Will have to wait until tomorrow to see if my Evernote resurfaces....

Nope, sync just failed - support Ticket# 2633216

Deleted app and re-installed - after logging in it seems to be downloading notes and is showing them as it goes in All Notes so hope is now OK.

One interesting data point - when I logged in previously I used my username which is not an email address.

The reinstalled app asked for an email address so I used my address associated with the account - that may be the difference - someone might have screwed up for older users who have non-email usernames.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, AndyDent said:

I'm forcing a deep sync (tap with two fingers on the Sync button).

I'm not sure how that works.
Actually IOS maintains little data on the device and retrieves note content via the internet (exception for offline notebooks)
For a "deep sync", I delete the app and reinstall.

Edit; I tested the 2 finger deep sync.  It ran for about 5 minutes (12k notes) and did not cause my offline notes to need reloading.

Link to comment

iOS maintains metadata - I have 37,000 + notes so that alone is substantial (it includes the thumbnails and several other fields - as a developer who was at one point working on an app for Evernote I spent quite a bit of time looking at the API).

I also often have a couple of GB of offline notebooks but experience indicates the metadata sync is the slow bit - I'm pretty sure it's rate-limited

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, AndyDent said:

I just upgraded and see no data either.

 

I signed out and signed in again and it is certainly the correct account - all my other devices are showing up in My Account - Devices.

 

Really annoying timing - we're about to leave for a four-day trip and it normally takes around a day to re-sync all my note metadata and a few offline notebooks

Same thing happened to me on my iPad.  Upgraded and nothing there, well actually note counts were there but no notes visible.  Ended up deleting and reinstalling the app.  After the sync things seem to be okay.  Did not have the same issue on the iPhone, it seemed to update okay.  Still a PITA overall, sync time and resetting preferences.  Filed a bug report.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, AndyDent said:

I also often have a couple of GB of offline notebooks but experience indicates the metadata sync is the slow bit - I'm pretty sure it's rate-limited

I found the reverse; the metadata sync is fast; the offline download is painfully slow - my 10GB takes about a week to download.

Link to comment

Thanks @Shane D. I have submitted a response to the ticket, some unhappy further details below.

I doubt whether anyone is interested in disclosing an answer to this question but I would love to know if anyone on the dev or executive team is using devices with say 40 or 50 thousand notes? If not, you should have at least some people "dogfooding" at that level.

Notes from my support ticket response, of use to others experiencing this bug.

Once re-installed, I was able to login and start reloading notes.

but

Unlike previous versions, it keeps crashing during the sync.
 
It takes many hours to re-sync my notes, apart from having several GB of offline notebooks, the fact that I have about 37,000 notes means the metadata alone takes a long time. I am on a fairly fast wifi connection 50Mb/s to my 100Mb/s broadband - it is not connection speed or quality.
 
In the past, when I have had to do a deep sync, I have been able to turn off screen lock and leave my device on the charger with Evernote frontmost - I think last time took about 17 hours to finish a reload.
 
Right now, if Evernote is running, within 10 minutes or less, the screen goes black and Evernote has gone into the background, or the phone goes back to the home screen.
 
Even if Evernote is running in the background it still does this - I have had the Settings app in the foreground and been interacting only a few seconds before the screen went black.
 
I just did a test of having quit Evernote and leaving my phone on for a couple of hours - it’s nothing else causing this just Evernote.
 
So far I have only got my notes back on the phone up until 2015 - I have to keep it on my desk and check every few minutes to see if Evernote is still running.
 
With that awkward workaround, it does seem to be downloading the notes at a steady pace but it is a very disappointing thing to cope with.
Link to comment

I think the crashes occur if you have a Notes list view active - realised that a little while ago and it seems to have got through most of the rest with the settings/Account view frontmost without crashing. It's certainly a lot slower than an hour to get just the metadata for my notes down, wonder if that's because it now seems to be doing more image displaying in the list views and it was also trying to pull images. 

Ohhh, duh, possibly my fault - needed to change it to show small previews and turn off images in previews. Dunno if that was a side-effect of completely deleting and installing the app from the store. If it is a default setting, it needs to be more conservative for very large collections of notes.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, AndyDent said:

I think the crashes occur if you have a Notes list view active - realised that a little while ago and it seems to have got through most of the rest with the settings/Account view frontmost without crashing. It's certainly a lot slower than an hour to get just the metadata for my notes down, wonder if that's because it now seems to be doing more image displaying in the list views and it was also trying to pull images. 

Ohhh, duh, possibly my fault - needed to change it to show small previews and turn off images in previews. Dunno if that was a side-effect of completely deleting and installing the app from the store. If it is a default setting, it needs to be more conservative for very large collections of notes.

Yeah, it's a bit of a craps shoot for me as well.  I only have two small offline notebooks so I don't set them up until all the meta data is down.  One thing I've noticed is that when the sync starts its clipping at about 90 notes every re-display (every couple of seconds?).  Then after the first crash it goes to 25-50 notes, then after another crash to 10-15 notes.  Don't know what it means but it is repeatable.  ?

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
On 8/24/2018 at 8:34 AM, CalS said:

Yeah, it's a bit of a craps shoot for me as well.  I only have two small offline notebooks so I don't set them up until all the meta data is down.  One thing I've noticed is that when the sync starts its clipping at about 90 notes every re-display (every couple of seconds?).  Then after the first crash it goes to 25-50 notes, then after another crash to 10-15 notes.  Don't know what it means but it is repeatable?

My full offline download finally completed, so I'm rerunning the test on my iPad Pro

Deleted and reinstalled the app

Metadata sync completed in 5 minutes (12k notes)
Small Offline notebooks completed in 15 minutes
Full offline download; I'll report back next week  edit 5 days for 11GB

No crashes
 

Link to comment

I'm watching my phone downloading offline content now, at least I assume that is what it is doing.

In the settings dialog, the Sync Now button is green indicating it is not syncing but the little network activity spinner up the top flickers on and off every few seconds.

Something I utterly hate about the iOS client is the lack of transparency about its download state. There is no way to know how far through download it has gotten (correction - this is now visible in the main notebooks list, not the offline notebooks list), which is a cause of stress when you are going to be travelling. I often want reference content in Evernote for work during flight. It used to be that at least you had tiny bar charts for each offline notebook - they seem to have been cleaned up.

I have learned the hard way to not consider Evernote a reliable repository of travel documents - I always make sure I have other apps contain anything I may need without network access. That's sad.

Edited by AndyDent
corrected accusation
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, AndyDent said:

There is no way to know how far through download it has gotten, which is a cause of stress when you are going to be travelling. I often want reference content in Evernote for work during flight. It used to be that at least you had tiny bar charts for each offline notebook - they seem to have been cleaned up.

I'm still seeing indicator and bar charts for each notebookIMG_2512.thumb.jpg.04d97305bdfac3d4f51d10131e37fe53.jpg
This is dynamic as new content becomes available

 

>>I have learned the hard way to not consider Evernote a reliable repository of travel documents - I always make sure I have other apps contain anything I may need without network access. That's sad.

I load critical documents into dedicated offline notebooks and download them first

I also manually verify them before leaving.

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm still seeing indicator and bar charts for each notebook

This used to be in the "offline notebooks" view - I see it's now in the main notebooks list, which is probably more useful - thanks for the heads-up. Apologies in that this is an unfair criticism.

I won't rely on Evernote because I got caught once on travel, despite my attempt to have notes in an offline notebook and verified before travelling. I think this may have been a purge bug. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...