security settings Windows 10 app

I noticed that my Evernote application would start without the need for a password/PIN or fingerprint scan or anytjhing... I figured that this was not such a great idea.  After all, anyone could walk up to my laptop and look at my Evernote content.

So I figured that all I needed to do was to go to the Tools/Options tab and simply change how the application opens and select the level and type of security I would like...  I was expecting to see all manner of options like "auto closing" after a predetermined time of no activity etc.  Like LastPass and other security conscious programs...

I looked up and down the settings options and failed to find the required settings.  I even clicked the "Show advanced options" box..  Nothing doing..

I then started to hunt through the various menu items. Nothing.

Now I am starting to get a bit nervous..  I think that I will go for a walk and find a tree to bang my head against.

Why is it that after 10 years that Evernote still feels half finished..?  Things like image re-sizing is still missing..  And when I share a note with an email address it never arrives etc etc.. All sorts of little annoying things that crop up every time you use the program.

Anyway, it would be great if the missing security feature could be taken care of.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  It has been mentioned before,  but Evernote is under two levels of security;  your device,  which can be locked and passworded to prevent anyone sitting down in your absence,  and File > Exit in Evernote which requires that the username and password be used to reopen it.  Two-factor security is also available so that you can ensure that only you can log into Evernote.  There's even an additional level in that individual notes can contain encrypted text,  or have encrypted files attached.

As I leave my laptop it's a habit to hit Ctrl+L to lock it with my password,  and my power options will do that anyway after an optional period.

Hallo gazumped... 

File>Exit shuts down the program (which I guess is logical)..  It does not prevent anyone from starting the it  again without using user name or password.  It just opens.

So you are saying that the only security is to lock your laptop (either CTR L, sleep mode, close lid etc).  Evernote as such has no security features built in.

My email client does.

Not good.  Actually pretty terrible.  It is not unusual that other people have to use my laptop for short periods such as using it to make presentations, fix missing printer drivers, edit a spreadsheet I am working on, answer my soft phone, synchronize email folders, update MS Access files and 100 other reasons..

I have to accept that my Evernote files are not protected from prying eyes..

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, thethomasdahl said:

Evernote as such has no security features built in.

Evernote has account/password security.  Of course this is completely useless if you leave the account logged in and the computer unlocked.

On other platforms (IOS), the Evernote app has to be unlocked with Touch ID (fingerprint).  It's a great feature; I'd like to see it expanded to all devices.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, thethomasdahl said:

File>Exit shuts down the program (which I guess is logical)..  It does not prevent anyone from starting the it  again without using user name or password.  It just opens.

So you are saying that the only security is to lock your laptop (either CTR L, sleep mode, close lid etc).  Evernote as such has no security features built in.

Evernote has plenty of security features built in. For the scenario you mention, use: File / SIgn out  <your user name>. Anyone running Evernote will need to log in.

1 hour ago, thethomasdahl said:

I have to accept that my Evernote files are not protected from prying eyes..

Or learn to use the security features that your operating system and Evernote already have built in.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, thethomasdahl said:

File>Exit shuts down the program (which I guess is logical). It does not prevent anyone from starting the it  again

You're right,  and I apologise for engaging fingers without starting the brain.  As @jefito pointed out it's sign out that you need to use - for one, or for all current databases in use.

jefito

Thank you for taking the trouble to get back to me.. I like your File/sign out solution.  It actually works  well. I need to check if it works from a cold boot as well as a warm boot.

It would be cool if some more security options like automatic time-out and finger scanner  or windows hallo could also be used.

Cheers!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I apologise for engaging fingers without starting the brain.

Ha-ha, that's a nice line. I may need to use that some time. Maybe daily... :) 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

You're right,  and I apologise for engaging fingers without starting the brain.

Same part of the brain must control the mouth, in my case.

• Level 5*
On 8/17/2018 at 9:51 AM, thethomasdahl said:

Thank you for taking the trouble to get back to me.. I like your File/sign out solution.  It actually works  well. I need to check if it works from a cold boot as well as a warm boot.

I would expect that it would work from any type of reboot, or sleep/wake, whatever.

It's nice to have the option to stay logged in, as I don't share my home computer with anyone who shouldn't be able to see any of my notes (well, except for Christmas/birthday present lists). At work, again, I'm the sole user of my account, and I just lock Windows (Win+L) when I'm not around.  I basically leave Evernote sunning all the time, at home or at work. Not everyone has that luxury (or level of laziness)...

Archived