Evernote for Mac 7.5 Beta 1

Chantal Leonard

Hi Folks - 

Evernote for Mac 7.5 Beta 1 is now available. It has many bug fixes we've been queuing up after our re-brand. You can download the version here or check for updates (make sure you're opted into Betas.) 

Let us know if you have any feedback on this version or questions on the brand updates from 7.4. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team 

Version 7.5 Beta 1

Fixed:

• Note snippet doesn't show when note is dirty or fails to sync.
  • Link > Remove removes all links from note when more than one line is selected.
  • An intermittent crash when loading web views.
  • App crash dragging note from Space to Trash.
  • Intermittent app crash when checking for updates.
  • The column widths on "Share with me" were not remembered if close then re-launching app.
  • Pasting into numbered/bullet list removes list text between images.
  • Inputting Japanese characters: Unexpected converting/determining when user inputs Japanese characters on bullet point list.
  • Lists: Triple click of one line copy pasted in front of text on another line breaks list.
  • With 2byte characters in a table, table is broken after adding a bullet point within cell.
  • Underlined text formatting cannot be removed in table.
  • Bold turning back on with paste after being turned off in list.
  • Bullet lists separated by paragraphs in Word are grouped together after pasted into Evernote.
  • Turning off bold after pressing spacebar - then paste and match style - turns bold back on.
  • Pasting from Excel into Evernote, requires table upgrade but UI is missing.
  • Pasted text in Evernote from external coding text editor alters formatting.

Updated:

• Cleaned up the Note header UI by consolidating actions in the ... menu.
  • Updated the upgrade placement on Mac. You can remove it by customizing the top toolbar if you wish.
  • Updated the background of the Note List to align with our new brand colors.

Could someone explain the reason for the "..." on a desktop version? I doubt that there are computer screens so small that having quick and easy access functionality would have been an issue.

Since there is no shortcuts for adding reminders (keyboard shortcut, any other shortcut or batch processing) that means one extra click for every note that needs to get a reminder - in my use case for almost every note I create. Is this really intended?

So ... why? Are you planning to get rid of reminders completely and try to get users used to it?

• Level 5*
On 8/17/2018 at 2:08 PM, MissArdbeg said:

Could someone explain the reason for the "..." on a desktop version?

As per the notes in the first post
.    Cleaned up the Note header UI by consolidating actions in the ... menu.73769550_ScreenShot2018-08-18at21_03_30.png.512ecf40afe138a6638b8cae21c72a64.png

For some unknown reason, Share wasn't included in the consolidation.
The reminder icon only shows if active for a note.

>>reminder - in my use case for almost every note I create

You could use scripting to assist with this
set reminder time of theNote to
(text returned of (display dialog "Reminder Date" default answer (theSubjectDate & " 08:00 AM")))

On 8/17/2018 at 4:08 PM, MissArdbeg said:

Could someone explain the reason for the "..." on a desktop version? I doubt that there are computer screens so small that having quick and easy access functionality would have been an issue.

Since there is no shortcuts for adding reminders (keyboard shortcut, any other shortcut or batch processing) that means one extra click for every note that needs to get a reminder - in my use case for almost every note I create. Is this really intended?

So ... why? Are you planning to get rid of reminders completely and try to get users used to it?

Thanks for the feedback. I filed a ticket with our engineers to consider implementing keyboard shortcuts for the items in the overflow menu in the future. 

I appreciate some of the clean-up that you’ve done in this release. But I take issue with the upgrade button for two reasons:

1. With a yellow background color, bold text, plus an icon, it’s the loudest element on the screen that constantly screams at me when I need to focus. And remember, "helping you focus on what matters most" is one of the design principles of the new design.
  2. Yes, I can remove the button by customizing the toolbar. But, opening a new window instantly brings the button back. Somehow all other customizations are remembered but not the removal of the "Upgrade" button. Could be an honest mistake, could be an evil decision.

Kapture 2018-08-21 at 10.50.51.gif

10 hours ago, benjamin.wiederkehr said:

I appreciate some of the clean-up that you’ve done in this release. But I take issue with the upgrade button for two reasons:

1. With a yellow background color, bold text, plus an icon, it’s the loudest element on the screen that constantly screams at me when I need to focus. And remember, "helping you focus on what matters most" is one of the design principles of the new design.
  2. Yes, I can remove the button by customizing the toolbar. But, opening a new window instantly brings the button back. Somehow all other customizations are remembered but not the removal of the "Upgrade" button. Could be an honest mistake, could be an evil decision.

Kapture 2018-08-21 at 10.50.51.gif

This is great feedback. I passed that along to our design folks. Thanks again!

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, elviscai said:

How to "Save as Template..." ????

Is this a v7.5 question?1843667678_ScreenShot2018-08-22at09_39_42.png.fb147c027a577192937be72985f4edac.png

Evernote doesn't have defined templates but I have a set of notes I use as templates.  
They are identified by tag:!Type-Templates, and title:Template-aaaaa

Before this release, I would create a code block in a note and copy the code from my code editor into the code block, and it would keep the formatting from my code editor.

Now it removes the formatting, I guess this behaviour comes from the item in the fixed list - "Pasted text in Evernote from external coding text editor alters formatting." 

Would it be possible to have an option to keep the syntax highlighting from the code editor?

• Level 5*
On 8/16/2018 at 5:00 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Cleaned up the Note header UI by consolidating actions in the ... menu.

Hate hate hate this. I have a 27" monitor and have no need for this. Please let this work like the Windows client, where you can choose what sits inside of the ... option and what sits outside in the header. Every single one of these actions now takes an extra click. Ouch!

• Level 5*

Overall I really like the colors in the client. They feel warmer than before, and are easier on the eyes. However, the note count and notebook names blend together too much in the sidebar, in my opinion. I find it interferes in my readability when I'm trying to find a notebook. Is there a way the numbers can be darker? Like how the "Notebooks" text and the icons are slightly less opaque than the rest of the text? Or maybe a different color, like a pale green or grey? Some way to make the notebook names themselves easier to read would be great. In the hierarchy of info in the sidebar, the notebook name and note count aren't at the same level of importance.

Thanks!

(please don't judge my notebook disorganization; I'm reorganizing and most of these are temporary :unsure: )

screenshot.png

Did something weird happen with checkbox formatting on the OS X application?

I have notes with lots of checkbox items, one under the other (like a To Do list). In the previous version of Evernote, they were nice and compact (like single-line spacing in a word processor). After upgrading, the lines are spaced apart more (like 1.5-line spacing in a word processor). It seems the checkbox size is independent of the font size, and so is forcing the spacing to be wider.

It's really annoying, as all my lists now stretch down the screen more, so I fit less on the screen at once. It also looks ugly, especially if a checkboxed item wraps across a couple lines (example below). The problem gets worse as the text font size is reduced.

Evernote checkbox spacing bug.png

On 8/20/2018 at 12:29 PM, nicolml said:

Thanks for the feedback. I filed a ticket with our engineers to consider implementing keyboard shortcuts for the items in the overflow menu in the future. 

That would be excellent and long overdue. In the meantime, I agree with @MissArdbeg. This feels very much like a core workflow feature was complicated rather than improved.

I'm actually not sure if this was present before 7.5 Beta 1, but by accident I discovered that if you copy a note's shared public link, there is no visible indicator on the note itself that the note is now public. The only cue to me was that in the context menu, the "Stop sharing link" option was now selectable, where it is grayed out for non-shared notes. This seems like a privacy and security concern. If it happens like it did to me on accident, and you miss the notification, you wouldn't know you had made a note public. And even if done intentionally, it's almost certain that some users will forget and lose track of at least some of the notes they've shared.

No indicator on the note header:

366385940_ScreenShot2018-08-22at8_14_13PM.png.f3f8c63b91593b2026f1484792bfe9e6.png

Only indication is the "stop sharing" option now available in the context menu:

277471014_ScreenShot2018-08-22at8_14_23PM.png.67cc4afa2fa19918fd9a63e76a9af741.png

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, frankreporting said:

some users will forget and lose track of at least some of the notes they've shared.

We can search   sharedate:*

An indicator on the header is a good idea.  You should  post this as a feature request.

14 hours ago, frankreporting said:

I'm actually not sure if this was present before 7.5 Beta 1, but by accident I discovered that if you copy a note's shared public link, there is no visible indicator on the note itself that the note is now public. The only cue to me was that in the context menu, the "Stop sharing link" option was now selectable, where it is grayed out for non-shared notes. This seems like a privacy and security concern. If it happens like it did to me on accident, and you miss the notification, you wouldn't know you had made a note public. And even if done intentionally, it's almost certain that some users will forget and lose track of at least some of the notes they've shared.

No indicator on the note header:

366385940_ScreenShot2018-08-22at8_14_13PM.png.f3f8c63b91593b2026f1484792bfe9e6.png

Only indication is the "stop sharing" option now available in the context menu:

277471014_ScreenShot2018-08-22at8_14_23PM.png.67cc4afa2fa19918fd9a63e76a9af741.png

There were no visual indicator in the previous version (7.3) either. Back in the days (before version 6.0, I believe) you had a visual indicator if you had made a public link, but you no longer do. However, there is a blurb of texts in notes you've shared via e-mail (Work Chat).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, macfixer said:

Also, please take it easy on the "Business Upgrade" push. 

Agreed. Frustrating as a premium user I am still being heavily advertised to. 

Archived