Referencing & Bibliographies

janetmsewell

Idea

Evernote is an amazing program that I've been using for years, and I love it! Thank you for creating such an amazing product! 

One major drawback is its lack of creating academic referencing and bibliographies. The technology is already a feature within Evernote; the "note info" pane. You could add a "more" or "advance" option within that to allow for a more robust input for academic purposes. Then add a drop down menu where people could select their preferred style of export (this could also be placed in Evernote settings, as an overarching setting). The major headache I think is the integration with Word. Unfortunately most universities require their students to hand in their assignments using Word. The best program I've found that does this is Zotero. It has a tab at the top of Word, which takes us back to Zotero and allows us to add a reference directly from there. It's brilliant! Then at the press of a button, we can build a bibliography. I don't think this would be too complicated for the Evernote team! 

Enabling something like this within Evernote would add incredible power to your program. And I think you'd see an influx of students using your services. Evernote is touted as our second brain and the place you need a second brain the most is in academia and research! Please add this feature! I'm sure you all remember your university days, help us make the most of ours! :) 

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

7 hours ago, janetmsewell said:

The major headache I think is the integration with Word. Unfortunately most universities require their students to hand in their assignments using Word.

My office also requires work in Word/Excel
I'm not seeing this as a problem.  I create Word documents and Excel spreadsheets and store thm in Evernote as attachments to a note.
This gives me attachments to many features, including "referencing and bibliographies"

Dear All, 

Does Evernote has incitation and bibliographic possibilities? Otherwise I don't know how I can write in Evernote my thesis without having the possibility of incitation and producing references/bibliography at the end. Please help. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bidel said:

Does Evernote has incitation and bibliographic possibilities? ... I don't know how I can write in Evernote my thesis

No   
I recommend you not use a note editor to write your thesis    
Use a word processing editor, for example MS Word  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-bibliography-citations-and-references

The Evernote service is useful for storing your thesis documents

• Like 1
On 4/19/2020 at 7:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

For a larger writing project like a thesis I would take a look at the Scrivener software.

Thank you both! Can you write your thesis in Scrivener using incitations and bibliography?

• Level 5

Probably yes - you should do a bit of research to see whether it fits your factual and formal needs.

Basically the idea behind Scrivener is to collect sources and write in parallel, reorganizing stuff as you go and the project develops. So I think that organizing sources is one of the strong features behind Scrivener. Probably it rests with your own thoroughness to document each source in the moment you clip it, to have a valid reference when writing it up.

• Like 1