Multi-notes printing order/Printing with Page Number

Yilu

Idea

When I select several notes to print, I can't control the printing order. It's meaningless to print multiple notes in random order.... Now, I have to print each note to PDF, and then use adobe to combine them by my preferred order.

I hope Evernote could print multiple notes in flexible order, just like Adobe reader shown below.

image.thumb.png.6e7144b0f4f2eb9b9b7c792ab0fd476a.png

Also, it'll be great if Evernote could add page numbers to the printed version. Probably design some auto-scripts for adding page number after PDF file made.

Thank you!

• Like 1

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Windows selections generally preserve order of selection  -- we can see this in Evernote when you choose notes to merge. So are you saying that the order of selection is not the order of printing?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Notatious D said:

Evernote has some real holes in its functionality.  As far as I can tell, you cannot, as you mention, print with page numbers.  That's crazy.

This 2-year old post has no other comments and 0 votes in support - seems like most users aren't exactly seeing this as a 'must have' feature...

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Notatious D said:

Evernote has some real holes in its functionality.  As far as I can tell, you cannot, as you mention, print with page numbers.  That's crazy.

Yes, one of the holes is that Evernote is not a document page product
This is an html base used in web pages; a continuous multi-line note with no limit for physical page length

That's another thing about Evernote. I've observed several people post valid frustrations about basic functionality missing, and instead of help they get these useless and disparaging comments.  This is actually the main thing that drove me to migrate off of Evernote as much as possible. (Well, that and its unacceptable slowness for quick notes, and its inability to reasonably handle sync conflicts...and its inability to handle large notes... So actually it's hard to choose.)

I had to fax something for medical purposes to a place that only accepts faxes or mail.  Without the proper page order, it's difficult to decipher the document.  What am I supposed to do in that case? Get the patient to switch hospitals? Am I supposed to anticipate any possible time I might need to print something out, and not use EverNote for anything related to that? Does that seem practicable?  What should I use instead?

What does it mean to be a "document page product"? It has information. Sometimes information needs to be printed out. Of all the text-related applications that exist and can print, I question how many can't do basic page numbers.  Remember, it has to format the printout anyway. That's the stage where it could add page numbers! Like any other program. Why does it print at all if printing is so passe?

The question is, are page numbers a reasonable and useful feature?  Not, how many people who could have used it bothered to post on this forum, and then endure these silly comments that belittle totally useful and basic feature requests. Does it really bother you so much when Evernote gets criticized?

If you never need to print, good for you! You're free to focus on something else. Please, never respond to any of my posts or comments again unless you have something constructive to add, per the spirit of this forum.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Notatious D said:

The question is, are page numbers a reasonable and useful feature? 

Yes, page numbers are a reasonable and useful feature     
I use page numbers in many of my documents   
The documents are stored in Evernote as note attachment files

>>What does it mean to be a "document page product"?

One indication is defined pages, with page numbers 🙂
The most well known is MS Word; I use Apple Pages

>>That's another thing about Evernote. I've observed several people post valid frustrations

And they don't even bother to add their vote to feature requests - still at 0 votes    
or followup with work-around suggestions

The reason I keep things like medical info in a notes application instead of separate word processing documents, is so that I can organize and find things. That's the purpose of a notes application such as Evernote.

Maintaining a Word Doc within Evernote for my own data is inflexible and cumbersome. You do that just so you can get page numbers?

23 hours ago, DTLow said:

>>That's another thing about Evernote. I've observed several people post valid frustrations

And they don't even bother to add their vote to feature requests - still at 0 votes    
or followup with work-around suggestions

I don't know what your point is. I don't know how to find or vote for feature requests. This is an extremely basic functional request.

If you are belittling me because I didn't dream up a workaround, please keep it to yourself. Have fun exporting to PDF, going into Acrobat...wait, why doesn't Evernote just do this?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Notatious D said:

I don't know how to find or vote for feature requests.

Vote button is at the top left corner of this discussion

• Level 5*
On 4/8/2020 at 5:02 PM, Notatious D said:

I had to fax something for medical purposes to a place that only accepts faxes or mail.  Without the proper page order, it's difficult to decipher the document.  What am I supposed to do in that case? Get the patient to switch hospitals? Am I supposed to anticipate any possible time I might need to print something out, and not use EverNote for anything related to that? Does that seem practicable?  What should I use instead?

Two step process workaround if you have a PDF editing tool available.  

1. Save/print whatever notes to PDF and combine with the PDF editing tool if need be.
  2. Use the PDF editing tool to add a page number footer to the result.
  3. Fax that.

I have done this using Adobe.  Pretty sure that the footer capability exists in other PDF software tools, don't know for sure though.  FWIW.