Security Upgrade and lose Spellchecking... and more

So, the leader of  Evernote's security team has instructed us to upgrade from Evernote for Windows versions 6.4–6.7 to protect ourselves from a vulnerability; very laudable.

Unfortunately, more recent versions are missing a spellchecker (in the sense of an F7 with/without custom dictionary).

I had previously upgraded and rolled back to maintain the spellchecker but now...

to protect customers, [Evernote] have blocked access from older versions of Evernote for Windows and have done the same for a small number of third party applications. [Evernote] have also revoked the authentication session tokens for anyone currently running a vulnerable version of our app'

So now, if you use Evernote, all you get is a red squiggly line under a typo which you have to manually correct/add to dictionary.

... and a dictionary can no longer be shared across devices so, all custom spellings have to be duplicated/triplicated....

... and (quite unbelievable this) 'Evernote' is not in the dictionary.

Thanks for that Dave but, that version (6.7) will no longer allow you to sync notes (as per the leader of  Evernote's security team)... so whereas before one could stick at 6.7 and have a decent spell checker but no other improvements, now even that option has disappeared (apparently).

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, munificus said:

Thanks for that Dave but, that version (6.7) will no longer allow you to sync notes (as per the leader of  Evernote's security team)... so whereas before one could stick at 6.7 and have a decent spell checker but no other improvements, now even that option has disappeared (apparently).

You can still sync with 6.7.6.

Thank you CalS... I wouldn't be so bold as to disagree with you but, yesterday, two separate Windows PCs of mine running 6.7.6 could not sync... I will roll back to 6.7.6 from 6.13.14.7474 (307474) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483) and post back here. In either event, thank you for your help.

However, if you and Dave are correct (which I accept is very likely to be the case), the email and posting from ' the leader of Evernote's security team ' is highly misleading.

Will roll back and repost ASAP.

Capture.JPG

Thanks CalS; have uninstalled 6.7.6 and am in the process of installing latest version (currently syncing with my files)...

Just a thought but did you log out of Evernote on 6.7.6... that's when my problems started.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, munificus said:

Thanks CalS; have uninstalled 6.7.6 and am in the process of installing latest version (currently syncing with my files)...

Just a thought but did you log out of Evernote on 6.7.6... that's when my problems started.

You are welcome.  I hadn't before, but I just did and syncing is still working as expected.

Update... contrary to previous post (must be getting brain fade), what I have done is:

Uninstalled 6.13.14 through control panel (as requested when downgrading)
Installed 6.7.6 and allowed synchronisation to complete (obviously, many files)
Created a new Note
Synchronised
So far so good, except that my local articles file had disappeared
Signed out of account
The 'Local Articles Archive' reappeared (that was easy)
Signed into account... the 'Local Articles Archive' disappeared again
Spell Checker F7 works (yipeee!)

I'll work on the 'missing' local notes folder

Thanks for all your help

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, munificus said:

I'll work on the 'missing' local notes folder

If you are referring to a local notebook, you have to save those prior to a full refresh of a data base from the server.  Did you do a full refresh, that is remove the old EXB file and build a new one from the EN server?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, munificus said:

Nope... I just uninstalled 6.13.14 and then installed 6.7.6... currently hunting for the folder/files!

Okay.  Hope you find them soon.

Archived