Increased Space Between Lines When Pasting into Evernote

organizing

Idea

Hi.  When I paste text into EN, with Ctrl-V, often the space between lines is greatly increased.
Sometimes, if I paste the text with Ctrl-Shift-V, the white space between lines is decreased--sometimes too much.
How can I paste text into EN and keep the original line spacing?

Thanks, 
Doug

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote is not a word-processor and does not support line spacing as such.  Pasting from another app will often bring hidden style codes that display a particular spacing,  but if you remove the formatting from the note it will often revert back to standard single spacing.  The only way to preserve layout would be to attach the original app output file - a DOCX or PDF file - so you can edit as necessary.  If you don't see the content of the document as part of your note,  you could copy and paste the 'de-styled' text into the note purely for reference and (maybe) search index purposes...

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Evernote is not a word-processor and does not support line spacing as such.  Pasting from another app will often bring hidden style codes that display a particular spacing,  but if you remove the formatting from the note it will often revert back to standard single spacing.  The only way to preserve layout would be to attach the original app output file - a DOCX or PDF file - so you can edit as necessary.  If you don't see the content of the document as part of your note,  you could copy and paste the 'de-styled' text into the note purely for reference and (maybe) search index purposes...

Thanks Gazumped.  EN could do a better job of preserving original line-spacing/formatting.  They might start with a new, very targeted, format-preserving preference enhancement:  Preserve Original Line Spacing. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, organizing said:

By the way, this failure to maintain line-spacing sometimes happens when I paste text from one EN to another EN.
You'd think that EN would be able to preserve line-spacing in EN-to-EN copy / paste situations.

If you are talking across platforms, PC to IOS for example, yes there are some inconsistencies.  Font size changes and tables lacking perspective for two.

7 hours ago, CalS said:

If you are talking across platforms, PC to IOS for example, yes there are some inconsistencies.  Font size changes and tables lacking perspective for two.

No, not cross platform, just web EN to local installed EN...  on the same machine.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, organizing said:

No, not cross platform, just web EN to local installed EN...  on the same machine.

That is cross-platform. Notes always sync up to the Evernote servers from one client and down to another, even on the same machine. And the web is a different platform than the Windows client.

Yes, this is a real pain.  My workaround, which irritates me but works, it to first paste into Word, the select all copy and paste into Evernote.

Its awful but it works.  Pasting from the same text copied from Word yields the correct spacing in Evernote.  Seems like Evernote is not translating line breaks in HTML to maintain correct formatting.

BTW, Apple Notes has the same problem.  

Easy to reproduce: On MacOS, Copy from any Google Doc, Paste into the Mac Evernote App. Every line has an extra spacing.  Cross Platform has nothing to do with it.

Archived