SYNC just stopped working

jimbee

I make an edit on my computer e.g. then sync all devices but the updated information does not appear on any of the other devices (phone/tablet). Worked fine until lately now it's something of a mess with unsynced data. Any ideas where to start looking?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, AndreasM said:

This is not an explanation, Gazumped

? Was trying to find the reason for the failed sync,  not 'explain' anything. 

On one of the (many) other threads about the security issue another user confirmed that applying the patch seemed to work,  so Evernote seem to have fixed that security.

I second AndreasM.

Cutting off data sync for paying customers is a really bad, bad idea. Even if it's for security reasons.

I don't want a version update.

I hate the newer versions of EN, and even more that space-wasting big left side margin of the notes in the desktop client.
Evernote's quality and release process is frustrating, time-consuming and nerve-wracking, and this makes me stay with an older EN version.

So, like AndreasM, I'd be happy with a security patch for my old EN version.

I was also surprised and disappointed that the Evernote team would cut off sync support for paying members (such as myself) who prefer to use older versions.

If they want to force us to use the newer version, they should at least give users the option to get rid of the huge WASTE-OF-SPACE SIDE MARGINS. It's an appalling design flaw that needs to be fixed once and for all for us to buy into any further updates.

• Level 5*

Are you trying to say that 6.7.6 is NOT the best option?  Which version are you currently using?  And I got my opinion from views expressed by @TK0047 and @Krunoslav in a different thread.  I do not work for,  receive funds from or otherwise owe allegiance to Evernote.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, AndreasM said:

that's not true, not everybody seems to agree, that version 6.7.6 is the best option

Most seem to agree it's the best option before the PDF change and the bug onslaught of 6.8 and forward....  Best being a relative term.

I'm using beta 6.14 and other than the PDF viewer and some DnD issues, seems okay for my use case.  It's a definite improvement over 6.13.  

IOS on the other hand has search issues.... which can't be worked around.

16 hours ago, gazumped said:

Everyone seems to agree that if you hate the current version,  6.7.6 (+hotfix) is the best option: 

I hope Evernote are paying you well Gazumped as is seems you do more than anybody at evernote at smoothing over their F**kups and keeping people from jumping ship.

It sounds like customers need to push Evernote for a hotfix option for the other older versions as well. I understand that Evernote does not want to keep up with the older versions and dedicated manpower to it but the newer versions are really not working out for many with all the bugs. I think we all can agree on that there are a lot of bugs and concerns with the releases after 6.8 (inclusive).

I was already on 6.7 and with the hotfix, I am ok but if I was using 6.4 and it worked for me, being pushed to upgrade would piss me off too. I get that.

One last option, Evernote releases 7.0 and it is super amazing with no major bugs and it just works! :) 

Ok, finally getting back to looking into this problem...

Thanks much for all the input with regard to what the cause might be and possible solution for my syncing issues. 

It seems EN has upset a number of users with it's "forced" upgrade policy. I can well understand and relate to the reaction. In my case I only use EN at a very basic level. Pretty much as a random note taker where I store things like www addresses, logins, etc.  Nonetheless a very important tool I pay for.

I've gone ahead and updated EN on my PC but it's still not working. I'm finding that I can open/edit/create notes on my phone, tablet or in www view and the sync works exactly as it should. However nothing I do on my desktop version syncs to any of my other devices. In face, any edits I've made on the phone/tablet/www site overwrite any edits I make on the desktop version. It's as if the desktop version can read but not write anything. 

I've looked at all the settings and can't find anything that could be the cause. Admittedly far from a power user so perhaps I'm just missing something obvious?

• Level 5*

this is going to sound like a stupid question - it's not intended to be.

Are you signed into the same account on your PC? Sometimes people have more than one account and are signed into something different than they think they are.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, jimbee said:

It's as if the desktop version can read but not write anything. 

Sync is supposed to be two way.

Can you test a single update on your pc and trigger a manual sync..
Does the PC indicate the note is sync'd?
Can you verify the update on the server using the web platform (www.evernote.com)?

6 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

this is going to sound like a stupid question - it's not intended to be.

Are you signed into the same account on your PC? Sometimes people have more than one account and are signed into something different than they think they are.

Hardly a stupid question as that's not beyond the realm of possibility when it comes to something I might do. But in this case, I have only ever had this one EN account.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sync is supposed to be two way.

Can you test a single update on your pc and trigger a manual sync..
Does the PC indicate the note is sync'd?
Can you verify the update on the server using the web platform (www.evernote.com)?

Yeah, I've done numerous tests with all devices. All works as expected with respect to all devices except when making any edits on the desktop. Those edits don't appear on any devices when I manually sync but it will update any info created on the other devices and overwrite what I did on the desktop.

But to you point "Does the PC indicate the note is sync'd" there is a red exclamation point when I manually sync from the PC. If I close/reopen EN it goes away. I had not given that much thought as I asked about that previously and seem to remember it wasn't necessarily a problem. But looking at it again in light of my current situation  perhaps this red exclamation point is indeed significant and indicative of an issue?

Archived