Jump to content
  • 0

Copy link to another Note, but with a route back


S1lv3rBull1t

Idea

I am more and more using the linked note feature. But i always have to put a link back to my so to speak "table of contents". 

This will make it easier to navigate back and fort in linked notes. So make it possible to auto add the link to the "Index" note.

Link to post

18 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hmm, interesting idea, though I do that by having two windows opened, the index and the new note.

The problem with auto add would be that I have multiple index notes, not sure how that would work in that case, I usually have to determine the index before creating the note. (Edit: I meant before linking the note).

I assume you are already aware of the create table of content feature.

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, S1lv3rBull1t said:

I am more and more using the linked note feature. But i always have to put a link back to my so to speak "table of contents". 

This will make it easier to navigate back and fort in linked notes. So make it possible to auto add the link to the "Index" note.

You can also use the browsing navigational arrows, if you add it to the top toolbar by customizing it. (That won't help you if you don't start in the table of contents note though)

Link to post
  • 0

Hi Don Dz

I am aware of the Table of Contents feature, but sometimes i am lost when navigating solely using my notes. I still need the Notebook or Index Note available, to be able to have an overview of all note. With my idea, you have a link to the index with every seperate note. So no double index as you mentioned.

See explanation in image.

 

 

Notes.jpg

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*

Not sure how the UI will look for this.  

In the meantime, on my Mac, I have multiple notes open, as per your diagram; Note List, Note 1, Note 2
I can create links by simple drag and drop from the Note List; into Note 2 then into Note 1

edited: drag and drop is from the note list into a note

Link to post
  • 0

I think that 

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I can create links by simple drag and drop; Note 1 into Note 2 then Note 2 into Note 1

Interesting, it even works in Windows, one learns something new everyday.  ?   

Though it only works by dragging from the note list into a separate open window, at least in Windows.

Link to post
  • 0
40 minutes ago, S1lv3rBull1t said:

I am aware of the Table of Contents feature, but sometimes i am lost when navigating solely using my notes. I still need the Notebook or Index Note available, to be able to have an overview of all note. With my idea, you have a link to the index with every seperate note. So no double index as you mentioned.

I have thousands of notes, so a single index would not work for me. 

As far as navigation with links, I do often reach a note that has no link back and I am not on the main window where I could use arrow navigation. 

For that I created an Autohotkey script: shift left click takes me back, shift right click takes me forwards (other combinations could be used).  If you find this suggestion helpful, I can share the script.

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

I am not on the main window where I could use arrow navigation. 

Arrow navigation, by which I think you mean back/forward in note history or Alt+ArrowLeft and Alt+ArrowRight, does work in separate Evernote windows, at least in the 6.14.1 beta that I'm using currently.

Link to post
  • 0
50 minutes ago, jefito said:

Arrow navigation, by which I think you mean back/forward in note history or Alt+ArrowLeft and Alt+ArrowRight, does work in separate Evernote windows, at least in the 6.14.1 beta that I'm using currently.

I am hoping I missed something because that would be great news, but as far as I can tell,  arrow navigation does not cause the note on the separate window to go to another note, as it does on the main window, at least not on the 6.14.3 beta I have, on either Win10 or Win7 (I created an Autohotkey script because of this problem).

Plus since 6.13 GA, separate window navigation has gotten quite buggy, at least for me, which I reported before, no one commented on my reports.

 

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*

What can I say? It works for me; I certainly tried it before I posted, both the Alt+Arrow keys and the back/forward history tools in the toolbar on the right-hand side of the toolbar above the editing toolbar. I believe that separate windows maintain their own note histories, but if I open up a note in a separate window, click on a note link, then the back arrow takes me back, and the forward arrow takes me forward. I didn't notice that it was broken in earlier versions.

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*

Forward/backward arrows work for notes viewed in whichever window.  Back arrow in the separate window won't take you back to the main window.  Not sure if there is confusion about this in the above...

Link to post
  • 0
6 minutes ago, CalS said:

Forward/backward arrows work for notes viewed in whichever window.  Back arrow in the separate window won't take you back to the main window.  Not sure if there is confusion about this in the above...

Two people claiming the same thing.  I am going to have to try a complete reinstall plus wiping the Evernote directory to see if I get anywhere with this. 

Though I have two computers (Win10 & Win7) showing the same behavior, not sure if it would be data related.

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Two people claiming the same thing.  I am going to have to try a complete reinstall plus wiping the Evernote directory to see if I get anywhere with this.

First you have to click on a link in the separate window and then you should get something that looks like this.

ScreenClip.png.81f51702ee396c6667841b13f53268df.png

Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, CalS said:

First you have to click on a link in the separate window and then you should get something that looks like this.

I understand how it works, doesn't show on mine, plus I have this bug since 6.13 GA I reported before, which now it is beginning to look like it maybe just my computer, albeit two of them:

 

Link to post
  • 0
  • Evernote Employee
2 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I understand how it works, doesn't show on mine,

You have to customize the toolbar. The "<>" arrows are not on by default. (The current default is only the Sync button)

Link to post
  • 0
48 minutes ago, dconnet said:

You have to customize the toolbar. The "<>" arrows are not on by default. (The current default is only the Sync button)

I was referring to additional windows.  I always have  the arrows on in the toolbar, at least on the main window, is there a separate setting for the 2nd window? 

 

EDIT: for a brief moment I got the second window with links to show the arrow, then it went back to the behavior described below :

EDIT2: I got it to work on a 3RD window once (based on what I described below) sometimes the arrows show on the 3rd windows, sometimes they don't (navigation is by note links):

 

Link to post
  • 0
  • Evernote Employee
43 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

is there a separate setting for the 2nd window? 

Oh, I see. The single note view does not have the same (main) toolbar as the main window. But the forward/back arrows do (at least on my machine) appear magically once you follow a link in that window. It doesn't appear this is something that can be customized.

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I understand how it works, doesn't show on mine, plus I have this bug since 6.13 GA I reported before, which now it is beginning to look like it maybe just my computer, albeit two of them:

Not suggesting any lack of knowledge on your part, just trying to cover the all the bases.  ?

Agree, if you don't see the arrows in the separate window a revo uninstall and then install would be next step.

I have my own anomaly with back/forward in the main window.  Whenever I press the Back arrow it always acts as a long press,  I get the list and not moving back one note.  Separate window works fine.

Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, dconnet said:

Oh, I see. The single note view does not have the same (main) toolbar as the main window. But the forward/back arrows do (at least on my machine) appear magically once you follow a link in that window. It doesn't appear this is something that can be customized.

After much fooling around with notes, I got the arrows on the second window to appear sometimes, but always having the anomaly I described in the link (jumping windows, going back to the main screen, 3rd & 4th windows, etc, all in connection with links).

The one interesting thing I found today was that one particular note link was very consistently producing new windows, so I recreated the note link, and the jumping and arrow misbehaviors for that link window disappeared (when using the recreated link only, not the old ones). 

This is part of the reason I requested a support ticket, I have hundreds, maybe thousands of links, replacing them all to see if the jumping and arrow misbehaviors disappear is a bit more than I can handle at this time.

I have previously used the Ctrl-Help menu to have all my notes repaired, a very long process I don't mind trying again, but I suspect may not help.

UPDATE:  I replaced ALL the note links in one of my TWO most frequent Home(table of contents) reference notes (and many links in the other one), and the reported misbehaviors seem to have gone.  But only for those two notes. ?

Just a few hundred more notes  with note links to go (not really sure how many  . . . ?  (unless support can offer a better solution).

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...