Tags Will Not Appear in Print-Outs

Each of my individual notes have multiple tags associated with them.   When I print a note, it will not print all the tags.  I.e. if I have up to 15 tags associated with the note, the print out will only show a single line of tags, up to 5 or 6!  As a writer this makes my work very difficult so much so that I may have to choose another note taking solution.

Does anyone have the same problem and a solution?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Since I started using Evernote 10 years ago,  the only items I print locally tend to be outgoing snail mail and the occasional briefing sheet.  I've never had the need to print the accompanying tags.  Is there a reason for sharing so many?  Other than using keyword in the body of your note that wil print out with the text,  I can't suggest any options...

Hi and thank you for getting back to me.

The nature of my work/writings requires that I establish analogies on a number of different "meta-ideas".  As it stands I m working with at least 60 tags.  So a single note may incorporate several recurrent ideas expressed differently, say one note could be defined under 2 tags and another under 20 tags.  I ve got 500 notes/pgs.  To help me flesh out the structure of the book, I have to print the notes and spread them out them out on a big table for review and "ordering - physical interfaces can t be beat under certain circumstances. 

But okay sounds like basically Evernote hasn't thought of authors much.  By using keyword - I just looked at my Evernote to see if such a function exists - you mean I should write the keywords physically at the top, i.e. write down the tags I ve spent so much time editing for each note?

Ken 

• Level 5
16 minutes ago, KLdH said:

Hi and thank you for getting back to me.

The nature of my work/writings requires that I establish analogies on a number of different "meta-ideas".  As it stands I m working with at least 60 tags.  So a single note may incorporate several recurrent ideas expressed differently, say one note could be defined under 2 tags and another under 20 tags.  I ve got 500 notes/pgs.  To help me flesh out the structure of the book, I have to print the notes and spread them out them out on a big table for review and "ordering - physical interfaces can t be beat under certain circumstances. 

But okay sounds like basically Evernote hasn't thought of authors much.  By using keyword - I just looked at my Evernote to see if such a function exists - you mean I should write the keywords physically at the top, i.e. write down the tags I ve spent so much time editing for each note?

Ken 

Hi, Ken. I think you're right, Evernote is really not set up to do this kind of task. I wonder whether you've looked into Scrivener. It is built specifically for writers, and has some features that might work well for you (and hopefully might allow you to firm up the structure without printing everything out). Scrivener currently can synch among Mac, Windows, and iOS (but not Android, and there's no Web interface). But of course it would be a pretty appalling export task to get all your work from Evernote over into Scrivener. Might be worth a glance, though.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, KLdH said:

you mean I should write the keywords physically at the top, i.e. write down the tags I ve spent so much time editing for each note?

Hi - there is a way to copy the tags from your note,  but I'n not sure whether it would be better or worse than just retyping - in Windows,  just select the note in List view and Ctrl+C copy,  then move to the body of the note and Ctrl+V paste.  The whole list view line for that note,  including any hidden tags,  would be copied across to the note body.  (You might be able to edit the visible columns down to note name and tags to make that tidier...)

If it's mainly important to you to be able to see all the tags,  then that paste should be enough to give you something to highlight in a printed copy.

Alternatively you could use the same view and process to copy a list of note names / tags and paste into your own version of a table of contents

The note names would be active links to the full note,  and the presence of tags would allow you to cut/ copy and paste that list into any order,  and split it into sub-lists if necessary. You could re-order your thoughts without having to use a physical tabletop to do it - although I do understand the need occasionally to be handling 'proper' paper instead of doing everything on screen.

Good luck anyway - when you do figure out your solution - even if it is another application - please let us know which way you went!

• Level 5

I prefer to stick with older versions of Evernote until the bugs on the current version are resolved. The Windows version I am using is 6.6.4

In my version, there is an option to include tags in the header section of your printed copy.

>Tools >Options >Printing

Evernote Print Tags.png

Archived