3 years and I can't still trust Evernote for basic searches!!! shame on you

mostidiotever

Hi,

just performed a simple search today for the key word "this".

Went for the option "searching in your notebooks" in Evernote Web (I don't have an offline client on Linux, thanks).

Result = 0!

But I have a note called "fix this" in one of my notebooks.

Totally unacceptable.. and pretty embarassing

Now go on fan boy, give yourself an argument for spending sooo much money in a """"""premium""""" product

• Level 5*

I think @mostidiotever is referring to Evernote's search feature ignoring stop words like "this".
I haven't seen the complete list but have encountered the same issue with other words.
The search feature is documented at Evernote Search Grammar 

edited: I found this sample list https://www.ranks.nl/stopwords

• Level 5*

Yup.  "This" is one of the 100 most commonly used words in english  - https://www.ef.co.uk/english-resources/english-vocabulary/top-100-words/

"fix" is less frequent,  although I found 3,066 notes in my database just searching for that one word.  A test note with "fix this" was found when I searched for the phrase,  but because 'this' is a stop word Evernote only found the same 3,066 notes by seeing the first word.  Stop words are ignored on global searches..

If you can find a few notes as possible targets,  the separate Ctrl+F 'find within note' search will find the phrase,  or 'this' on its own.

Better overall not to search for everyday terms like 'fix this' with or without quotes - pick some less common descriptors or qualify a search with dates or more terms via tags and titles.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, mostidiotever said:

Hi,

just performed a simple search today for the key word "this".

Went for the option "searching in your notebooks" in Evernote Web (I don't have an offline client on Linux, thanks).

Result = 0!

But I have a note called "fix this" in one of my notebooks.

Totally unacceptable.. and pretty embarassing

Now go on fan boy, give yourself an argument for spending sooo much money in a """"""premium""""" product

This without quotes is like a non search, all notes, returned, in my case anyway.  However, "this" or "this in quotes or without the ending quotes will find occurrences of the word this.  Interestingly, "this fix without ending quotes found notes with those two words together, 16 in my case. 

Windows anyway, though not exactly intuitive..  So "this fix should find the note, if Windows.

What platform have you been trying the search?

Archived