Email forward goes only to defaut notebook

I have EN paid version.  I am trying desperately to get my Gmail to forward properly into specified notebooks with tags, with absolutely no luck

After searching I don't see any recent posts about this; most go back several years.

I am using existing notebook names and existing tags, in the format

Subject @Notebookname #tagname

I've tried it with one space after the email's existing subject, I've tried adding a few words to the subject; no luck

Please advise.  This feature is why I used paid version.  I am beyond frustrated.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dtmfcc said:

I have EN paid version.  I am trying desperately to get my Gmail to forward properly into specified notebooks with tags, with absolutely no luck

After searching I don't see any recent posts about this; most go back several years.

I am using existing notebook names and existing tags, in the format

Subject @Notebookname #tagname

I've tried it with one space after the email's existing subject, I've tried adding a few words to the subject; no luck

Please advise.  This feature is why I used paid version.  I am beyond frustrated.

What you show above should work, does for me anyway.  A couple of thoughts.

1. Do you have any spaces in the notebook names?  Notebook names with spaces won't work.  You can either run the name together or use a . instead of the space. 
  2. Are you trying to send to a local notebook?  Only synced notebooks will work in the mail forward.

Thanks for your reply.  When I got it, I was on my Android, and everything worked perfectly there.  Seems that my problem occurs when working from my EN desktop version, which of course is where I really need it.  I've now verified that this is the issue.

Your reply did cause me to change my notebook names to one word, but that still isn't helping on desktop

In fact, a test of attaching only a notebook name, or only a tag, also failed.  So forward is not working from the desktop version, on 2 different computers

Any help appreciated.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, dtmfcc said:

my problem occurs when working from my EN desktop version

The mail service is a cloud function - it runs on the servers

You might check your mail app on the desktop.  Is it messing up the note title.

• Level 5*

Just tried this, sending a note from GMail to my Evernote account using the Windows 6..14.1 beta; the notebook and tag names were both simple ("Development", "OpenGL").. The note was appropriately tagged and stored in the correct notebook. Not sure what's happening to the OP's case...

Troubleshooting

Sent a test forward from another email client (RedHorse, similar to Outlook) to @Action #blogging -- worked fine

Sent myself a fresh email to my Gmail account, forwarded to EN to @Action #blogging -- failed

So my EN works on my Android phone, my Outlook type email, but not on Gmail desktop version, 2 separate computers, one with Windows 10 and the other Windows 7.  Any ideas?  Should I start a new thread?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dtmfcc said:

Sent myself a fresh email to my Gmail account, forwarded to EN to @Action #blogging -- failed

Can you send a brand new email from GMail to your Evernote email address, with appropriate notebook and tag specifiers, and have it work? That's what I tried, and it worked fine. Maybe it's something to do with forwarding that's the problem.

Aha.  That did work.  So it is forward, from the Gmail desktop client, that doesn't work.  

So then I tried editing a couple of subject lines, removing the subject completely, changing it , and adding my notebook and tag info.  ***The subject line edit didn't work***  Gmail is still keeping the original subject line somewhere that I can't see, and so it's not even adding my notebook/tag info.

Apparently this is **not** a new issue, and is well known to EN

But it works for some people on this thread; why, I wonder

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dtmfcc said:

But it works for some people on this thread; why, I wonder

To be clear, my Windows desktop email client is eM Client, using the Gmail service.  It would appear different client different result.

You could try forwarding an email to yourself and see if @notebook and #tags make the journey.

Good suggestion.  In desktop client, forwarded email from me to me, and yes, the edited subject heading travelled.  So seems as if Gmail desktop client is allowing the edit, but Evernote isn't reading it correctly.  In fact, Evernote is reading something in the email that I can't see, so that the EN title matches the original subject, but the Evernote isn't reading the tags

Subject: No follow @Reference #blogging

This is what my EN note says, but the title for the note is "Fwd: No follow"

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, dtmfcc said:

Good suggestion.  In desktop client, forwarded email from me to me, and yes, the edited subject heading travelled.  So seems as if Gmail desktop client is allowing the edit, but Evernote isn't reading it correctly.  In fact, Evernote is reading something in the email that I can't see, so that the EN title matches the original subject, but the Evernote isn't reading the tags

Subject: No follow @Reference #blogging

This is what my EN note says, but the title for the note is "Fwd: No follow"

That would be the title I would expect.  Maybe I'm not following, but if the subject of the forwarded email is Fwd: No Follow @Reference #Blogging then you should end up with a note with a title of Fwd: No Follow in the Reference notebook with a tag of Blogging.  Provided of course that the notebook and tag already exist, EN won't create notebooks or tags from an email.  Does the subject have Fwd: in it n your sent folder?

Here's the summary.  From other email clients, and from my phone Gmail, things work as you would expect.  

Mail forwarded to my EN email address from my desktop Gmail client go only to the default notebook.

For all of the above, the subject line in my EN note ends up

You're not doing it all wrong @Reference #blogging

The title ends up 

Fwd:  You're not doing it all wrong

• Level 5*

Not sure this helps, particularly since things are fine with some clients.  The web settings and this may just ***** up those that are working okay.

Image.png.7f7755602a357737785007474886226f.png

EDIT:  the *'s above are for that thing you use to hold wood together, nothing more serious than that...

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, CalS said:

Not sure this helps, particularly since things are fine with some clients.  The web settings and this may just ***** up those that are working okay.

Image.png.7f7755602a357737785007474886226f.png

EDIT:  the *'s above are for that thing you use to hold wood together, nothing more serious than that...

Aren't these options for the Evernote screen clipper? Do they pertain to emails as well? Emails go into the Evernote service, and not straight into a local account...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dtmfcc said:

Here's the summary.  From other email clients, and from my phone Gmail, things work as you would expect.  

Mail forwarded to my EN email address from my desktop Gmail client go only to the default notebook.

For all of the above, the subject line in my EN note ends up

You're not doing it all wrong @Reference #blogging

The title ends up 

Fwd:  You're not doing it all wrong

Then something is weird.

I tested sending from GMail in Chrome a note with the title "Testing @Test #MyTag" to my Evernote account, and it wound up in the correct notebook with the correct tag, with note title "Testing", as expected. I also sent this to myself on GMail, and so I forwarded this in turn to my Evernote account,, and again, it was filed correctly into the correct notebook, with the correct tag, but this time with the title "Re: Testing"

In addition, I tested sending from GMail a note with the title "Fwd: Testing @Test #MyTag" to my Evernote account, and it also wound up in the correct notebook with the correct tag, with note title "Fwd: Testing", as expected.. 

My default notebook in the Windows client is not "Test", btw, and I'm using "Smart filing" in the web clipper options, not that I believe that either of these settings pertains to the email scenario.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, jefito said:

Aren't these options for the Evernote screen clipper? Do they pertain to emails as well? Emails go into the Evernote service, and not straight into a local account...

Fine questions.  I think @dtmfcc says that they are using a Gmail desktop client, not browser based Gmail, though I could be wrong.  If right, why changing the clipper settings as above impacted filing is a mystery as well.  Plus I thought these options were for capture, not clipper.  Lobbed then out there just in case.  

I may be using the wrong term, then.  I am using browser based Gmail, using Chrome, on my 2 difference desktop computers.  It is the newer Gmail, and I'm going to try switching back to see if that makes a difference.

Update:  it did not make a difference.  I can't imagine what is causing this.  Does EN on the web update itself to the latest version?

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, CalS said:

I think @dtmfcc says that they are using a Gmail desktop client, not browser based Gmail

No such thing. GMail is a browser thing in Windows, unless there's a store application (and I can't seem to find one).

• Level 5*
On 7/30/2018 at 4:52 PM, dtmfcc said:

Apparently this is **not** a new issue, and is well known to EN

BTW, the topic you've referenced here appears to be about the ability of the web clipper to be able to clip from the browser-based Inbox GMail interface. It's not related to sending emails into your Evernote account.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, jefito said:

No such thing. GMail is a browser thing in Windows, unless there's a store application (and I can't seem to find one).

As they said post my post. 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

As they said post my post. 

Just wanted to clarify that there's no such thing as a desktop GMail for Windows; there seemed to be some confusion around that, and I checked the Store as well...

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, jefito said:

Just wanted to clarify that there's no such thing as a desktop GMail for Windows; there seemed to be some confusion around that, and I checked the Store as well...

Ditto on the search, hence the “ I think ...” post.  A continuation of my obtuse style and approach, I suppose.  May be time for a change.  ?

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, CalS said:

A continuation of my obtuse style and approach, I suppose.  May be time for a change.  ?

Old dog (unicorn?), new tricks? Think that's really gonna happen??? :) 

(unlikely in my case, that's for sure)

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, jefito said:

Old dog (unicorn?), new tricks? Think that's really gonna happen??? :) 

(unlikely in my case, that's for sure)

Gotta have dreams.  

Archived