Search for a bookmark?

Dear colleagues, 

The search functionality of evernote is rather weak, IMHO. This is example. I bookmarked a page which contains "ohio" and a name in its link. However, when I searched for it, the list didn't contain this link. I just searched "ohio" and the name. Was there anything wrong in my operation or there were better solution, or bookmarked page couldn't be searched for?

Thank.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote's search grammar specifies what will and will not work in certain situations - it's possible forinstance to search for the beginning of a word,  but not embedded or following text.  It's also not possible to search for links or bookmarks within a note,  unless you can create a suitable 'keyword' like X_ohio and add that to the text at a suitable point.  Long notes however display from the start so while searching for X_ohio should highlight any keywords found,  they still may be hidden below the visible area of the note. 

Ctrl-F (Windows) will search within the note and scroll down to each keyword found.

3 hours ago, mcdullhall said:

Dear colleagues, 

The search functionality of evernote is rather weak, IMHO. This is example. I bookmarked a page which contains "ohio" and a name in its link. However, when I searched for it, the list didn't contain this link. I just searched "ohio" and the name. Was there anything wrong in my operation or there were better solution, or bookmarked page couldn't be searched for?

Thank.

Welcome to the forums.

I assume when you say you bookmarked a page, you used the web clipper and clipped a page as bookmark into Evernote. Is that correct?

When you save the bookmark like that, Evernote will list the link as it is in your address bar and search will find it with no issues.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mcdullhall said:

The search functionality of evernote is rather weak, IMHO.

The search feature is documented at  Evernote Search Grammar 970753544_ScreenShot2018-07-24at07_17_35.png.4121af1e17ae6193430f752d35381f6d.png

The screenshot is an example of searching on my Mac.  

If you post your bookmark note we might be able to identify the problem

Dear colleagues,

Thanks for your replies and sorry for my delayed reply. 

"I bookmarked a webpage" means I use "Bookmark" functionality of "Clip to Evernote"  extension of Chrome. The page I bookmarked is 

http://web.cse.ohio-state.edu/~dey.8/papers.html

When I searched for "ohio dey", the search results didn't include the note. When I searched for "ohio-state dey", the results looked similar. It seems that Evernote didn't index the source URL.

PS. 

I have several recommendation for Webpage Evernote.

1. list the clip date in main text (I mean the right part the the page), along with source URL

2. distinguish bookmarks from common clips, otherwise there is meaningless to have a bookmark functionality in the "Clip to Evernote" extension.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  After a quick test on my database,  it appears that Evernote doesn't index the URL unless it appears in the body or title of a note (or an attachment) - ie if the URL is in the note metadata - it's not included.  Also if you searched for "ohio dey" including the quotes,  that searched for the exact phrase.  Trying without quotes should get you the same result - .ohio and ~dey being words preceded by a space as far as Evernote is concerned - full stops and tildes aren't indexed.

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I had the same need of filter notes by "kind", specifically to see only notes added as bookmarks using the web clipper tool.

In the Grammar page (included in previous answers) I found that by typing "source:web.clip" in the search field I got what I wanted.

There is also options for filter notes added by mail, etc..

source:[string] - matches notes that came from an application or data source that matches the argument string. Not all notes will have a "source" attribute. Standard source attributes queries include:

source:web.clip

Matches notes that were clipped from a web page using an Evernote Web Clipper

source:mail.clip

Matches notes that were clipped from a local mail client

source:mail.smtp

Matches notes that were delivered to the service via the email gateway.

source:mobile.ios

Matches notes that were created on an iOS client of some form.

source:mobile.android

Matches notes that were created on an Android client of some form.

source:mobile.*

Matches notes that were created on a mobile client of some form.

Hope this help you. Have a nice day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

I found this thread as I was trying to solve the same problem. I too have concluded that there is no complete solution but I would offer the following suggestions which helped me. The main feature that a bookmark has that an article etc may not have is the URL in the text of the note. A clipped article will only have a URL in the body of the note if there was one there in the original website text. Secondly bookmarks are small. While i cannot find a way of searching  by size you can sort in order of size and save this view for the saved search (on Windows anyway). In addition a bookmark will not contain a pdf or a jpeg image (if an image is included it is in png format). So:

source:web.clip* -resource:image/jpeg -resource:application/pdf http   

and then sorting by size will at least help. For me it went from 1094 notes just searching on source:web.clip to 234 of which about 90% were genuine bookmark notes; at the top of the list they all were. Once you've used the saved search you can then add additional search criteria (e.g. tags, text etc) in the search box to find what it is that you are looking for. 

The best solution is probably to remember to add a tag (e.g "bookmark") when you clip, but for going back over existing notes or as a check that you've remembered to tag, this search might be useful.

Edit: My more recent notes seem to have the source web.clip7 instead of web.clip. I have therefore amended the search to include source:web.clip*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...
On 7/31/2018 at 4:52 AM, mcdullhall said:

I have several recommendation for Webpage Evernote.

1. list the clip date in main text (I mean the right part the the page), along with source URL

2. distinguish bookmarks from common clips, otherwise there is meaningless to have a bookmark functionality in the "Clip to Evernote" extension.

As to point two - exactly. When I am in research mode on the web, often I will bookmark a page. I recognize useful content and see this as my first pass. Then, later, I will make a second pass and give more attention to the content. However, if I run the web clip search, the results will include clips of sentences, quotes, that are more for reference. I certainly don't want to see them when I revisit my bookmarked pages. Be nice to distinguish as indicated by mcdullhall.