Does backup (export) remove notes from notebook?

I did one back up years ago and when I checked on it I did see that the notes were taken out of notebooks and everything was in one folder. If I am remembering right, it was a long time ago. Then I read about this on Simplify Days blog. (this is a great blog!)  Barbara wrote something like "notes will not be saved in their notebook so if you do this you will have to move each note into it's original notebook". I can't give the exact quote because her blog is transitioning to a new platform and I couldn't find the page. But I think Barbara back's up what I am saying.

Then I went to test it but I could not figure out how to just select 2 notebooks to run a test, and this is my work computer and I have deadlines, I can't tie up my computer to run a test back up today or really for a couple weeks. So, I hope, someone here will be able to answer my questions.

1. Does backing up (export) remove notes from their notebook so that if you do have to recover your entire Evernote you would need to put each notebook back into its original folder?

2. How do you select only 2 notebooks to backup? (I tried shift, ctrl, and alt on a Windows desktop)?

3. Could someone fix this sentence in Evernote help on the backup page "Drag any notes you'd like to recover into whichever notebooks you'd them to live."? 

• Level 5*

An export to .enex format includes note metadata with the exception of notebook and note-Id.
Some users do separate exports for each notebook so the notebook information is retained.

>>3. Could someone fix this sentence in Evernote help on the backup page "Drag any notes you'd like to recover into whichever notebooks you'd them to live."? 

It seems an accurate instruction - what would you prefer?
When you import the .enex file, the notes are loaded into a temporary notebook.

You select the specific notes you wish to recover and move them to the permanent notebook.

edit: got it, it could say "whichever notebooks where you'd want them to live"
I'm not happy with the "to live" terminology, but it seems conventional.

• Level 5*

Evernote don't (usually) respond directly to posts in this forum,  though comments are read for possible future action...  where exactly are you seeing this broken English text? 

I'm not sure how I could explain it more coherently - as I understand it notes are restored to a 'local notebook' - an unsynced destination on a local hard drive.  Notes can then be dragged and dropped into whatever notebook you might prefer.  If that's the process you're looking to clarify,  can you suggest a better wording?

Here is the official "How to Back Up" page of Evernote's Help & Learning section. It doesn't really say that your notes will be taken out of their notebook. It says  (about exporting) "Note that this will, in effect, compile all of your notes (including images, attached files, etc.) into one big file..." I don't think a lot of people understand that means your note loses any information about the notebook it was in. That's why I asked here - I asked the question at the Evernote Genealogy Facebook group (4,890 members) and no one knew.

DTLow clarified this for me, thanks. Exporting does remove notes from their notebook.

At the end of the "How to back up" page is the sentence "Drag any notes you'd like to recover into whichever notebooks you'd them to live." I don't think that the help & learning section should be written in broken English. I am hoping someone will read this and care about that and fix it. The whole sentence should be re-written but at least they can change it to "you'd like them to live".

• Level 5*
On 7/14/2018 at 8:22 PM, Catherine dee Auvil said:

DTLow clarified this for me, thanks. Exporting does remove notes from their notebook.

Just to be clear in case someone reads this and takes it out of context: exporting does *not* remove notes from their notebook. Your notes remain in their original notebooks after export.

However, since notebook name is not retained in the exported version (to this day, I'm not sure why), you should export on a notebook-by-notebook basis if you want to  be able to restore them to their original notebooks.

Archived