Evernote, is it for me?

• Level 5*
On 7/12/2018 at 8:55 PM, Evernote, is it for me? said:

Is Evernote good for me?

The best way to see the Evernote features in action is open a free account and try it out.

>>an app with group and subgroup featur

Evernote has two note organization features: Notebooks and Tags
- Notebooks can be organized into Stacks; i.e. two levels
- Tags can be organized into unlimited hierarchy; i.e. many levels
A note is assigned a single notebook; multiple tags

>>ability to attach the patients medical image

Images can be attached to notes; actually any format files can be attached
Evernote is excellent for attaching images.

>>reminder feature for the future appointments

A single reminder can be set for a note.  You could use a separate note for each appointment.
What "features" were you looking for?  Evernote can produce a list of reminder notes for a specified day, or specified patient.

• Level 5
16 hours ago, Evernote, is it for me? said:

Hello everyone. I'm an eye care physician need an app with group and subgroup feature to write my patients’ dossiers and reminder feature for the future appointments and ability to attach the patients medical images to the dossier . Is Evernote good for me?

I would agree with @DTLow that the best way would probably be to try out a free account and see whether it works for you. I certainly wouldn't convert my whole business or practice to Evernote without a test drive. Taking notes and attaching images generally works well, and Evernote's strength is its ability to function across platforms (Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and in a browser). As DT also said, Evernote doesn't really do "group and subgroup," but notebooks (which can be collected into "stacks") and tags (which are attached to notebooks). Many users find Evernote's reminder features rather weak--only one date/time can be set, and there is no "snoozing." They issue an alert on an Android device, but on a Windows computer, they only pop up a small notification feature in the bottom right corner of the screen for a few seconds. Hope this is some help!

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Evernote, is it for me? said:

Is Evernote good for me?

I'll start off by saying I know nothing about this but I'll throw this out anyway ... if you will be collecting patient data does the software need to be HIPAA compliant?  I wouldn't think Evernote to be the best place for patient medical data.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Evernote, is it for me? said:

Hello everyone. I'm an eye care physician need an app with group and subgroup feature to write my patients’ dossiers and reminder feature for the future appointments and ability to attach the patients medical images to the dossier . Is Evernote good for me?

Evernote is NOT HIPAA compliant, so if any of those records fall under HIPAA, that is a no. 

Search for HIPAA on this page. https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005527-Evernote-Business-FAQ

I know OneNote from Microsoft can be made to be HIPAA compliant, but it isn't out of the box. You'd probably need to hire a certified Microsoft Partner that is learned in getting Office 365 environments HIPAA compliant. It isn't just a checkbox in options.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Evernote, is it for me? said:

I'm an eye care physician need an app with group and subgroup feature to write my patients’ dossiers and reminder feature for the future appointments and ability to attach the patients medical images to the dossier . Is Evernote good for me?

In a word:  No.

As @EdH as already told you, Evernote is NOT HIPAA compliant.

But even if it were, it would be a poor choice, for these reasons:
Evernote does not have:

• the ability to send out notifications to others at some future date.
  • the proper structure.  All Notes are equal.  There are no contact/patient "records" to which you can attach activity and info records.  There are no parent-child records.  Yes, they can be linked with tags, but it is a lot of work.
  • a good change tracking system.  If a change is made to a Note, you have no idea who made it.

As a physician, I would imagine that you have access to apps dedicated to, or focused on, your type of practice.  Yes, you will have to pay for these apps, but, as they say, "you get what you pay for".  There are also a number of professional CRM and contact management systems, that you could probably adapt to your use.

I would also imagine that you have a professional association that you could ask for this type of app.

There are some who will tell you that you could make Evernote work (aside from the HIPAA issue).  And, to a degree, that is true.  But you, and your staff, would be spending a lot of time (not required for pro apps) to keep your data organized in Evernote.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Level 5*

I would recommend against using Evernote (or any other un-encrypted cloud solution) if you are keeping sensitive data in it. What is sensitive data? It’s stuff you wouldn’t care (or be liable for) if it was hacked and everyone (parents, children, spouse, co-workers) could see it. Of course, the same rule of thumb applies to emails (essentially, the same or similar level of security), but people regularly share extremely sensitive data that way (a certain country’s political system was thrown into disarray due in part to a hacking incident). 

I like Evernote, I use it every day, and I often recommend it to people. But, if my doctor was using it to hold my health data, I’d find another doctor.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

I would recommend against using Evernote (or any other un-encrypted cloud solution) if you are keeping sensitive data in it.

I encrypt my sensitive data, but it's one-off; pdfs, office/iwork documents ...
Does anyone have a bulk encryption solution?

I'm confident my local data is secure; I use FileVault on my Mac.

• Level 5*

I don’t know of a bulk encryption solution, I’m afraid. I generally work outside of Evernote with that kind of stuff (DEVONthink synced through Dropbox with an encrypted database, SpiderOak, Apple Notes using encrypted notes, and so forth). For occasional things, encrypting individually is fine, but for regular encryption (a doctor would need it constantly), the current options in Evernote are insufficient.

• Level 5*
On 7/12/2018 at 10:55 PM, Evernote, is it for me? said:

There isn't a physicians office system that supports eye care?  Not sure it is good to roll your own.

Archived