Jump to content

Evernote for Mac 7.3 Beta 2


Chantal Leonard

Recommended Posts

  • Evernote Staff

Hi Folks - 

We've made our second beta of version 7.3 available. Please download it here, or check for updates. 

This beta continues our focus on quality - we've called out notable bug fixes in the release notes below.  We've also addressed the Beta 1 issue where note list columns was not saving its width adjustment after the app is restarted or the Evernote account is changed. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team

-----------------------

Version 7.3 Beta 2

Fixed:

  • All Notes is highlighted until a notebook is selected from the sidebar
  • Spotlight Search not Working
  • Searching stop words returns results for notes with attachments
  • Annotating PDFs: PDF indexing failed error
  • Clicking the arrow in breadcrumbs for a space takes you to the backing notebook
  • Certain cases where items in sidebar were unable to expand/collapse due to an exception
  • A crash when interacting with the Formatting preferences pane and the Font selection panel
  • Preferences: Incorrect web link opens after clinking on "Go To Mac Forum…" in Software Update pane
  • Client becomes unresponsive if searching for a term with no results while an image is viewed in full screen
  • Fix crash with saved search
  • macOS 10.14 Mojave: Fix crash with image scaling
  • Dragging image to desktop creates Text Clipping file
  • Dragging and dropping a notebook sometimes leads a crash
  • Tags not displaying in side list View
  • Can't create lowercase tag from note screen if similar uppercase tag already exists
  • Annotating image will scale it back to original size
  • Highlight: editor search highlight is misplaced when searching in zoom-scaled note
  • Annotation window inner shadow misplaced when switched to full screen
  • Can't use forward slash key when renaming attachment
  • Note title and note body are out of alignment
  • Sidebar: Can't collapse / open stacks in the popover (mini sidebar)
  • Notes and notebooks cannot be dragged to the bottom of shortcuts list

Improved:

  • New sidebar highlighting behavior when opening a notebook from the notebook kingdom
  • Search results by relevance have been improved - please let us know what you think. Results can be sorted by relevance by changing the sort options for the results.
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

We've also addressed the Beta 1 issue where note list columns was not saving its width adjustment after the app is restarted or the Evernote account is changed. 

Excellent. Will test this tonight!

Link to post
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

This beta continues our focus on quality - we've called out notable bug fixes in the release notes below. 

Thanks, Chantal.  I love that long list of bug fixes. ?

  • Like 2
Link to post

I'd like to report a bug in 7.3 beta 2:

If I switch to Expanded Card View, close the window, then click on the Evernote icon in the Dock, Evernote switches to the regular Card View on its own.

always use Evernote in Expanded Card View, so this is a bit bothersome ?

Link to post

I love EVERNOTE.  I use it for my everything.

I upgraded to Mojave and then Evernote quit working - I thought I was going to have to back out...unhappy hour.  Then I found the Beta.  Saved!!  So Thank you so very much for having the Mojave fix in.  That literally made my week....

Now, I've got a display issue on my preferred way of showing my notes.  The sidelists view (and top list view for that matter) has a new (?) format with alternating dark/light in the list (like that old printer sheet that alternates column colors)...the alternating dark/light is cool, though not necessary...however the note being used gets highlighted in near black, but keeps the font text color dark, which means I cannot read the note name without hovering on it....and the highlight line is not stable on just the note, it can be 'stretched' and sometimes sticks over more than the highlighted note.

2 thoughts.  

1.  Side list formats should be configurable, at least in the greater format.  So, option one, clean single color and opaque, high contrast highlight color.  I may actually prefer the original formatting, so unless I'm missing where I can configure this, I'm not truly excited about this change...

2. Side list format option 2 should be the alternating list colors, and also retain a highlight that is opaque and if there is a light/dark color contrast, the highlight should include a change in the underlying font color so that the note name can be read.  ie, light line, dark text, opaque light highlight.  Dark line, White text, dark highlight)  Not being prescriptive.  The key is that the underlying text should ALWAYS be clearly visible.

Is this already a request?

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 11.33.51 AM.png

Link to post
  • Level 5

I upgraded 2 machines to this Beta today. So far no major issues, but one bug that has been lingering since 7.x or maybe even earlier, is that EN always slightly downsizes its Window size every time the main window is closed and then re-opened from the Dock.

I have 2 screens, positioned one on top of the other (vertical orientation)

 ___________
|           |
|     2     |
|___________|

 ___________
|           |
|     1     |
|___________|

I always keep EN on monitor #2, stretched to fill the screen.

When the window is closed and then re-opened, the height shrinks by about 40 pixels leaving a blank space at the bottom of the screen. It's annoying as I always want the window to fill the screen. It's like EN is mis-calculating my resolution or leaving space for a dock (which doesn't exist) or something. By the way, this also happens if I position the EN window on monitor#1 and close / reopen it.  Same 40 pixels are shaved off.

Can this be fixed?

Link to post
  • Evernote Staff*
On 7/12/2018 at 3:56 AM, Vincent Noel said:

I'd like to report a bug in 7.3 beta 2:

If I switch to Expanded Card View, close the window, then click on the Evernote icon in the Dock, Evernote switches to the regular Card View on its own.

always use Evernote in Expanded Card View, so this is a bit bothersome ?

Thanks for reporting this! I filed a bug with the devs for a fix. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Evernote Staff*
15 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Can this be fixed?

Hey there, 

Thanks for reporting this. I also reproduced it in our internal build and filed a ticket with our developers. 

Link to post
  • Evernote Staff*
20 hours ago, CamBee said:

I love EVERNOTE.  I use it for my everything.

I upgraded to Mojave and then Evernote quit working - I thought I was going to have to back out...unhappy hour.  Then I found the Beta.  Saved!!  So Thank you so very much for having the Mojave fix in.  That literally made my week....

Now, I've got a display issue on my preferred way of showing my notes.  The sidelists view (and top list view for that matter) has a new (?) format with alternating dark/light in the list (like that old printer sheet that alternates column colors)...the alternating dark/light is cool, though not necessary...however the note being used gets highlighted in near black, but keeps the font text color dark, which means I cannot read the note name without hovering on it....and the highlight line is not stable on just the note, it can be 'stretched' and sometimes sticks over more than the highlighted note.

2 thoughts.  

1.  Side list formats should be configurable, at least in the greater format.  So, option one, clean single color and opaque, high contrast highlight color.  I may actually prefer the original formatting, so unless I'm missing where I can configure this, I'm not truly excited about this change...

2. Side list format option 2 should be the alternating list colors, and also retain a highlight that is opaque and if there is a light/dark color contrast, the highlight should include a change in the underlying font color so that the note name can be read.  ie, light line, dark text, opaque light highlight.  Dark line, White text, dark highlight)  Not being prescriptive.  The key is that the underlying text should ALWAYS be clearly visible.

Is this already a request?

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 11.33.51 AM.png

Hey there! thanks for taking the time to submit your feedback. I can reproduce this issue as well and will file a bug with our developers for a fix. I'll also pass along your feedback around formatting options for the note list. 

Thanks again! 

Link to post
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, nicolml said:

Hey there, 

Thanks for reporting this. I also reproduced it in our internal build and filed a ticket with our developers. 

Great, with the bug fixing sprint that's going on, I hope it somehow gets fixed before 7.3 goes final!

Link to post
  • Evernote Staff*

Hey folks we did a hotfix for Evernote last night with version 7.2.3. You'll be promoted to install it if you're on 7.3 Beta 2, but I'd suggest not installing it as it will give you a "version too old" message. We're pushing out an update to the beta version so none is prompted with this. If you do install 7.2.3 and run into this error, a clean install of Evernote will fix it. 

Sorry for the inconvenience at this time. 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post

 Hello,

Now on ver 7.2.3 after several experiencing the "Version Too Old" error, and spending half a day researching, trying to fix, researching, trying various things, and finally wiping all evernote and components and doing a new install. Naturally all my local notebooks were gone, along with everything that had to be gone to satisfy wiping out version 7.2.2.

Hours spent trying to find out where Evernote stores its local notebooks were a waste of time.  Restore from backup had to be done in order to get the local notebooks back.

All this effort times 2 because I  naively upgraded Evernote on two Macs simultaneously.

And so, the question becomes,

"Will upgrading ver 7.2.3 to anything higher, return the "Version too old" error (or any other fatal error) and require all the same effort it took to go from 7.2.2?"

Warnings, in the future, will be most appreciated.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, adonsa said:

Warnings, in the future, will be most appreciated.

Version checking in the future will be appreciated so a newer version doesn’t try to “upgrade” to an old version. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Evernote Staff*
1 hour ago, falsek1ng said:

Hi all-

I received the mismatched database error on update, therefore had to do a clean install. Now the app is crashing consistently on startup with the following error (attached).

 

evernote_mac_beta_error.txt

Hi,

This crash isn't symbolicated. Can you submit the crash to us via the app? After the crash, restart Evernote and you will receive a screen asking to enter your name and email and your observations. Please use this method to send us the crash and I'll look it up on our end. If you use a different email address used in the forum, please DM me the email address you used. Thank you!

Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, vandevyver said:

come one evernote, you are still promoting this erroneous beta version !!!
Just ran into trouble.
No more beta's for me.
Debug it yourself !

It's not clear what your issue is.  I'm a beta tester and I know the risks before I install beta versions.

To disable beta versions, use the setting in preferences.547051411_ScreenShot2018-07-16at12_14_15.png.e2a710e8973ce9cc20a1a79b3960524e.png

Link to post

I am now stuck between versions on MacOS Mojave Public Beta Public 2.  7.2.3 crashes and 7.3 Beta 2 gets the "Version Too Old" error.  Any news on when an updated 7.3 Beta or a 7.2.x version that doesn't crash will be available for download?  I can access my notes in the browser, but no apps currently work for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, vandevyver said:

come one evernote, you are still promoting this erroneous beta version !!!

Just ran into trouble.

No more beta's for me.
Debug it yourself !

Interesting. I checked on my mac this morning and it no longer asked me to downgrade. It did on Friday or Saturday, but I declined having had seen the post above. Normally I'd have clicked ok without manually comparing versions. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Evernote Staff*

Hi there,

For the folks who were on 7.3 Beta 2 and were asked to upgrade to 7.2.3 and are now seeing the "version too old" issue.

First things first, we're really sorry this happened. We're working on a fix for it. As I mentioned earlier, we did a hot fix that caused this issue for our beta community. Aside from my first suggestion for fixing, you can also take another less destructive approach to get back on the beta. 

  1. Open Finder. Go to Go > Go to Folder
  2. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/ and press Go
  3. Delete the "version" file
  4. Re-download and install Evernote for Mac 7.3 beta 2 from this link.

Our sincere apologies.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
On 7/16/2018 at 5:17 PM, nicolml said:

Hi there,

For the folks who were on 7.3 Beta 2 and were asked to upgrade to 7.2.3 and are now seeing the "version too old" issue.

First things first, we're really sorry this happened. We're working on a fix for it. As I mentioned earlier, we did a hot fix that caused this issue for our beta community. Aside from my first suggestion for fixing, you can also take another less destructive approach to get back on the beta. 

  1. Open Finder. Go to Go > Go to Folder
  2. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/ and press Go
  3. Delete the "version" file
  4. Re-download and install Evernote for Mac 7.3 beta 2 from this link.

Our sincere apologies.

Thank you.  This resolved the issue for me.

Link to post

I am not sure when this showed up but I am having two problems with the Side List that I never had before (I am running 7.3 b2). One is that the "Relevance" column seems to be a permanent fixture -- I don't want it but there is no way to turn it off. And second, when I am in Trash, there used to a column for Date Deleted that isn't there any more.

Link to post
  • Evernote Staff*
On 7/16/2018 at 2:04 PM, vandevyver said:

come one evernote, you are still promoting this erroneous beta version !!!

Just ran into trouble.

No more beta's for me.
Debug it yourself !

Hey there, 

Can you elaborate on the troubles you're having so we can help you out? 

 

Link to post
  • Evernote Staff*
On 7/21/2018 at 10:14 AM, sergei2018 said:

spotlight does not index the notes, and does not show them in search results. macos mojave. evernote 7.3 beta 2. spotlight reindexing and moving evernote to apps did not help. 

Thanks, I reproduced this and filed a ticket with engineering. 

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...