Can the notes be identified as numbers and not as per date and hour of creation?

Dear all,

I am thinking of using Evernote as a repository for my office´s outgoing correspondences. However, it would be ideal to have the numbering of our correspondences created automatically when we enter a new note. Evernote indentifies the notes by the creation date. Can we modify that?

Thank you for helping.

• Level 5

Automatic numbering would require a separate program. Can't be done with Evernote. I doubt there is sufficient user demand to warrant this type of coding change.

Manually - You could use the number code as a prefix in your title and then sort by title.

• Level 5*

Creation date is filled in for you automatically by Evernote. You can modify it, though, but it is still a date. If you want to identify notes using a number, I think that your best bet would be to put it into the note title.

Edit: beat me to it, JB... :) 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Sandrafaria said:

I am thinking of using Evernote as a repository for my office´s outgoing correspondences. However, it would be ideal to have the numbering of our correspondences created automatically when we enter a new note. Evernote indentifies the notes by the creation date. Can we modify that?

As others pointed out, you have control of the note title and can insert numbering.

I'm curious about your use "as a repository for my office´s outgoing correspondences".
What process would you be using to transfer correspondence to Evernote?
This may be the point where numbering can be inserted.

Personally, I prefix the note title with the subject date (yyyy/mm/dd).  I find it to be a useful number.

We are going to save the correspondences in Evernote and attach them as a file. Each correspondence is one note. We will have  two notebooks. One for incoming correspondences and another one for outgoing correspondences.

However, a colleague of mine just pointed out that we can do this with MS OneNote for which we already have licences and one drive.  So, I will check One Note.

Thanks a lot.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Sandrafaria said:

We are going to save the correspondences in Evernote and attach them as a file. Each correspondence is one note. We will have  two notebooks. One for incoming correspondences and another one for outgoing correspondences.

Likewise, I save my correspondence as a pdf tile attached to a note.  791788352_ScreenShot2018-07-05at09_11_04.png.eb664afc25a143093b26a2f4af86aa63.png
For  email, I also include a .eml file export

For email, I use a script running on a Mac.  
It assigns the title, tags and attachments.

I merge the notes if there's a thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Evernote isn’t so great, necessarily, as a repository for email. Neither is OneNote, though :) Email apps tend to be the best for handling emails (unfortunately, it is really quite a pain to get emails archived outside of email apps — not impossible, but irritating).

However, applications like IFTT (basically a “rules” app like Automator or Hazel on the Mac) can do some pretty amazing things, and you could easily set up a system (I guess) to automate the entire process of archiving, even into Evernote (have certain types of emails automatically forwarded to the email address associated with your account). I suppose a number or something could be appended via the app. 

• Level 5*
On 7/14/2018 at 9:01 PM, GrumpyMonkey said:

Evernote isn’t so great, necessarily, as a repository for email.

Maybe not a great email repository, but I use Evernote for all my data storage.
I was wondering if anyone has ideas to improve this as an email repository

My current process is to

• Create a note which has the date, title/subject, mail link
  • Attach the raw .eml file, and a pdf export
  • Create/assign a tag for the sender/receiver
  • sample posted above

>>automate the entire process of archiving

I use scripting on my Mac.  There's also third party Mail Butler.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I was wondering if anyone has ideas to improve this as a repository

Don't know if this is an improvement.  I simply forward emails of note to EN and add reminder/notebook/tag to the subjects as needed.  I have a few PhraseExpress hotkeys that clean up the forward gibberish one gets with forwarding in the title and the body of the email.  I purge sent mails out of my mail client every year or so, so if something comes up I can get back to the originals from the last year or so.  And the search term source:mail.smtp finds all notes that are emails.  FWIW.

Archived