Evernote closes few seconds after launching

Hello,

since some time Evernote on Windows 8.1 closes itself after few seconds after lunching. I have no idea why it happens. It closes the app a task bar, but the program icon still appears in icon tray. I have tried to reinstall the app at first uninstalling Evernote using Revo Uninstaller (deleting each part of Evernote from the system) and installing the newest version but the problem still occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas where the problem is?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If the app icon still shows in the task bar,  I don't think it's actually closed down.  What happens if you right-click the icon - is there a menu pop-up with 'Open Evernote' as an option?  Does that work?

I'm sorry for being not precise, the desktop application windows dissapears, like I'd just minimized the window, but I didn't even move my mouse or press any key on the keyboard. 

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, nicr said:

I'm sorry for being not precise, the desktop application windows dissapears, like I'd just minimized the window, but I didn't even move my mouse or press any key on the keyboard. 

I wasn't thinking that you had caused the shut down,  but you did say

On 7/1/2018 at 6:36 PM, nicr said:

the program icon still appears in icon tray

Is that at the bottom right of the screen?  Here's what I see on my system if I right click that icon.

ScreenClip.png.e3d06ec83b383b690cf8a70433d9c8cc.png

I'm thinking that your version of Evernote is set up to start with only the system tray icon showing,  but maybe if you open it again with a right click and 'open Evernote' (or just click on the icon) so the main window reopens,  then File > Exit Evernote with that window showing,  you'll get back to seeing the big window on start-up.

At first I launch Evernote and my screen looks like that:

image.thumb.png.85bb368da602eb96bf9093edce62c82d.png

Then after few seconds the windows disappears (I just have clicked notebook tab and syncing automatically has started), but the Evernote tray icon still appears and it looks like that:

image.thumb.png.3b236f8fb7d5d1f18d23c97c25118058.png

I suspect that syncing can cause that problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 7/18/2018 at 4:31 PM, nicr said:

@MikeRM Hi, I confirm that bug, the same situation is happening with my evernote.

What can I do with that?

Hi.  As a premium member you'll have access to email and chat support.  We're a (mainly) user-supported forum,  so we have no access to server logs or account details,  and it sounds as though you may need some under-the-hood support in this case.  The Support team is available on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new, or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that link won't work for you. 

Solved in my case. Steps done in order:

1. Disabled sync - evernote stops closing. So there is an error while syncing.
  2. Dowgraded to Evernote 6.5.4.4720. Didn't help.
  3. Disabled AdGuard proxy, disabled AdGuard components: antifisher, antibanner, general protection. Evernote started to sync.
  4. Upraded Evernote to latest version, still works.
  5. Enabled all components of AdGuard, still works.

Conclusion: Bug appears as a result of interference in traffic from some "cleaning" software, but has random effect and vanished suddenly.

Hey,

I was waiting to write this post. The problem doesn't occur anymore. Actually I didn't do anything and it just disappeared on it's own about one week ago. My actual settings differ from the default one just with one difference, I have check just 2 options in the synchronisation tab:

- Synchronize changes on exit

- Synchronize shortcuts

What's concerning is that, I had those setting applied even while the Evernote was closing itself. Before I have applied those setting I had noticed the synchronization syncs my notes and then the Evernote closes itself, so I decided to sync manually at that point.

Thank you guy for the help, I wish I won't bother myself any more with the closing Evernote.

Best regards,

nicr

Archived