Offloading old notebooks

First post!

I would like to get any tips and opinions on deleting or, preferrably, offloading old notebooks that have large content. My concern is that whenever I might migrate to new laptops, Evernote will eat up my disk space because of its "container" data, which I routinely find when I run omnidisksweeper. 

It's basically old college notebooks that have a ton of blackboard photos, plates and whatnot.

• Level 5*

Windows does not have Selective notebook sync, however there is a Demand sync feature that reduces the space used on your device.

Another suggestion is to offload your notebooks to an archive account.  
This could be a free basic account, however there are upload and note size limits.

• Level 5*

Sounds like a case for 'on demand' sync.  In Windows there's a "Purge rarely viewed note content" option with timings from 1- 999 days for the 'last viewed' time (default 30).  Purge doesn't mean delete in this case - just that rarely viewed notes are left on the server.  Note that means you will not have access to the notes to backup the content unless you use something like CloudHQ to backup from the server.  The notes are still indexed for searches,  but just take a little longer to download the content on demand when you wish to edit or view.

• Level 5*
On 6/25/2018 at 11:45 PM, madridryan said:

First post!

I would like to get any tips and opinions on deleting or, preferrably, offloading old notebooks that have large content. My concern is that whenever I might migrate to new laptops, Evernote will eat up my disk space because of its "container" data, which I routinely find when I run omnidisksweeper. 

It's basically old college notebooks that have a ton of blackboard photos, plates and whatnot.

You can create an Archive account but you would have to access it via the web interface if you don't want the notes to eat up disk space.  (You could by Premium for a month, move everything, and then delete the local EXB for the archive).  However, this becomes problematic should you want to add more notes to the archive.  I don't know how/if you can do that via the web interface. 

On Demand Sync is good for reducing disk storage but has it's own set of issues relative to backup and search lags.  So some options, but none perfect.  FWIW.

Not available, but perfect combo would be if EN added On Demand sync by account to the desktop software.  That would solve the problem for you (and me, I have a 6 GB archive account that I'd just as soon not have on my SSD).  Or let EN DBs be in different folders, one on C one wherever else.

Archived