Paste plane text (Ctrl-Shift-V) does not retain hotlinks (URLs) like in older versions

Before some versions (6.7?), EN retained URL hotlinks in text pasted from other locations (browser, ...) even if I use Ctrl-Shift-V (to paste without formatting information). I liked this functionality because it's really intelligent (putting URLs behind simple text is not a formatting feature ;-).

Over the time (maybe together with the ugly new PDFdisplay?) this functionality was lost for any reason :-(

Questions:

• @EN-Community: Are there some other users that liked (or would like) this feature?
  • @EN-Developers: Can we get back the functionality?

I'm still running 6.7.5.5825 and it has hyperlink pasting when using Ctrl-Shift-V.  To my mind we need at least three options:

1. full formatting
  2. URLs retained
  3. just plain text

There are many times where I've simply wanted plain text, and/or Evernote is stripping useful line breaks, and I need to use Notepad as an intermediary.  There are also times where full formatting or URL pasting are useful.  Not sure what the solution is apart from more paste options.

OK, so keep with this version as long as possible ;-).
In later versions, this nice feature has been dropped silently :-(((

To paste really plane text (without URLs) I use a AutoHotkey which allows to have this functionality not only in EN but also in all other programs (paste text from browser to Word or from Word to a real HTML editor, ...). So I do NOT need option 3. (past just plan text).

Option 2 (URLs retained) got lost because it cannot be re-implemented easily with AutoHotkey. Up to version 6.7 I used EN to remove formatting information (while retaining URLs) and THEN cut&paste it from EN to the final destination...

But as a part of a EN Business user group, I have to use a newer version (6.11 or so) without URL retaining possibilities.

• Level 5*

As far as I recall, this issue was discussed publicly in the forums, and the discussion included Evernote staff. I participated to some degree. I'd need to do some digging to find the exact forum post(s), but I think it would have been in one of the beta announcements. All of the above options mentioned by @PsiScream were discussed/debated, again, if I recall correctly.

Note from a spelling nerd: the term is "plain text" (as in simple or unadorned), not "plane text" (as in flat??) :) 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, jefito said:

Note from a spelling nerd: the term is "plain text" (as in simple or unadorned), not "plane text" (as in flat??) :) 

download.jpg.8ab2d8ec3ea8971507ec3ea94f55cc05.jpg

OK, ok - please apologize my poor English - hope it got understood though. So here's another try because the second part of my question is still open:

@EN-Team: Can we get back the functionality?
Hint: I've asked this question in support ticket #2482292 together with some other complains but got no answer because I ignored the boring question about recording screen actions and|or activity logs. Now I placed a new ticket #2585407 (in German language to avoid any doubts ;-) that contains only this question. Hope I'll get an official answer soon...

• Level 5*

Yeah, since about version 6.5 or 6.7, I don't remember exactly, the functionality for text pasting has been a bit of a moving target.  I have never seen a statement from EN as to what to specifically expect from Ctrl-V or Shift-Ctrl-V.  Hopefully someone will respond to your ticket with the answer.

This again? Why does Evernote remove the URL? Well, it's because you asked for "plain" text. If you want formatted, don't ask for plain. It's like Evernote also stripping bold and underline. These are text attributes and "plain" does not have attributes. It's, well, plain. When I ask for a plain doughnut, that means I don't want any sprinkles on it. Nor do I want powdered sugar. It doesn't mean take off the sprinkles but leave the powdered sugar. It means I want nothing but the doughnut.

OK, you should have your really plain text. But what's  the reason for investing in a new (nice, intelligent, helpful, ...) feature and then silently removing it later? Did you complain on it?

Within our teams, a Product Owner would argue as following:

• @OrbWeavergot some followers
  • @Eldoradogot some followers
  • We want to catch them all
  • We have already found solutions for both
  • ... so we should have an option like 
            [_] Retain hotlinks while Paste and Match Style

I got an answer to my support request: polite but not satisfying because they told me about the workaround to use a normal Ctrl-V and then remove the formatting by highlighting text and run "Remove Formatting". I knew this - but it's only a workaround and needs many many klicks... Not a good option to me.

And they told me about some folks on the forums that did not like this feature in 6.7.5 (you?). So they decided to change it back to the very old behaviour :-(

But they are watching us and promised that upcoming "changes will be made by the community's helpful input". So keep our fingers crossed to get the option ;-)

• Level 5*

If I remember correctly, it seems though all of this there was a request for a third layer of paste. 

1. plain paste
  2. plain match style with hyperlink (and maybe bullets and numbered lists and line spacing)
  3. match style (which is plain)

Don't pay enough attention to know if there is an industry standard for paste/paste match style but wonder what it says if there is one.  IAC, I'd vote for adding 2 above with all the ands if anyone is watching.

(Relative to match style I've always wondered why this isn't called keep style, but that's another story.)

EDIT:  Some adjustments so as to un-confuse myself ?

• Ex Employees

Hi all,

Up through version 6.5.4  on Windows, paste and match style pasted as plain text, without headers and without links.

For a period of time between versions 6.6 and 6.8 headers and links were retained when applying paste and match style.

From the helpful and majority feedback you provided on the forums during that time, the paste and match style behavior was changed back to the prior behavior of pasting as plain text and has stayed that way since.

If you'd like to keep the links on paste but without the source formatting, first paste normally, then apply "Remove Formatting"  to the selection and it will return to the default font, but retain the links.

As always, please keep the feedback coming here on the forums!

Archived