Report for all tags used within a multiple note selection

bradkrause67

Idea

When assigning tags to a selected group of notes, the Tag... (CTRL + ALT +T) dialog window indicates all the tags used within the selected group. Shading the checkboxes, within the scrolling tag listing of all tags, to complete form entry.

This listing should be excavated from the nested scroll and made a simple deliverable to the end user. i.e.Click here for a new note listing all tags assigned to notes within the selection.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, bradkrause67 said:

When assigning tags to a selected group of notes, the Tag... (CTRL + ALT +T) dialog window indicates all the tags used within the selected group. Shading the checkboxes, within the scrolling tag listing of all tags, to complete form entry.

This listing should be excavated from the nested scroll and made a simple deliverable to the end user. i.e.Click here for a new note listing all tags assigned to notes within the selection.

Not sure it is exactly what you are looking for, but if you highlight all the notes in the selection and check Hide unassigned tags in the tag selection dialog, you will only see tags used in the highlighted notes.

An index note would be the example, it is a new note that links and directs to selected notes.

In my use case, I may "see" 200 tags indicated out of my list of 700+. I'd rather have a text file of that information than have it cryptically indicated by shadow checkbox that I need click on...200 times for a new note that isn't associated with the note structure modeled without me typing an additional text block into the new note to explain what is going on.

Is that more clear? The nested scroll traps the information from copy paste text activities. I should be able to easily audit all tags used in a group selection and have it presented as a report...as per new index notes currently.

I'm currently paying for the Filterize service for simple tag listings.  So this isn't a small issue.

• Level 5*

Well, if you are trying to add the same 100 tags to new notes the typical workaround is copy/paste a text string that contains tag1, tag2, tag3, ...tag100 into the tag field.

I may not be getting it, I typically have 1 to 3 tags on a note.  So can't wrap my head around a use case that needs 100.  

I'm adding one tag at a time. For the last five years, as they became topical to the research.

The list of all tags used in a multiple note selection is calculated and displayed as shadow checkboxes in the scrolling tag list. I just want that information without re-keying it or paying another service. Isn't the same process and making the Index page for group notes, only "Tag list for selection" not based on the assumption that only the shared tags will be important at first glance.

Here is a wordcloud prototype of some of the topic tags, excluding contacts, events etc. that can accumulate in any single note. (say one that contains the .pdf of a legal textbook, as an extreme case)ExampleWordCloud.thumb.png.c84a94884f56d2a8f3d9b533b66a9d64.png

The resulting tags form almost an executive summary, invaluable to navigating the issues involved.

So once again, even being able to print the display screen of all Tags would save me dumping html captures of the same tag list off of Filterize. But why not just make a button report like the Index? Please?

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, bradkrause67 said:

Here is a wordcloud prototype of some of the topic tags

Thanks for the image; it makes the wordcloud purpose much clearer

As per @CalS, my 1-5 tags per note won't make much of a presentation.
I could expand this with sets of wordcloud tags

Unfortunately Evernote/Windows gives little flexibility in extracting this information.
I could do this easily with scripting on my Mac

That's the big payoff, you can cover so much ground on a topic with a detailed word cloud based on a targeted glossary.

The formula is "text" and "number" for weighted tag text size; so "tag" and "number of times used" will give a word cloud.

The exact information in the left sidebar, that I can't copy paste, either.

Oh I could mess around with AutoKey scripts too. I'm frustrated I can SEE both lists; I just can't copy them to clipboard.

I have a workaround with Filterize, so I'm not hamstrung, just making a feature request.?

And I'm in editorial mode now, so tag count is actually down about 20%, so there's that?

Please look at my other posts about using this tag structure for dynamic visualization, I'm open to suggestions for clever presentation.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bradkrause67 said:

So once again, even being able to print the display screen of all Tags would save me dumping html captures of the same tag list off of Filterize.

Not sure when/if EN would implement something like this.  In the meantime I sometimes use a utility called SysExporter from Nirsoft to capture lists to text.  A bit neanderthalic but it gets the job done.  I think it would work in this situation but it may not be any better than Filterize.

ScreenClip.png.96d620e315e04aea7eace4c56ec67552.png

Oh, I played with that from lurking in the forums in the past. Works as advertised too. Should anyone want the free to play solution, it worked on Windows 7 before I upgraded to Windows 10.

But I think I'll still expect EN to consider adding at least a view to the tags that can be selected and copied?

Archived