SQLite use by Evernote

Guest Kamala

Guest Kamala

Hi,

I understand Evernote uses SQLite.  Please could you share in what capacity it uses SQLite technology?  Are the notes store in SQLite databases?  Is it used for other reasons as well?  Please could you share further information on that?  Thanks.

Kamala

• Level 5*

I'm using a Mac; Windows is a different setup.940537164_ScreenShot2018-06-08at14_46_26.png.a5ef65dc4972a094b87487f7f91aa6e1.png

The master version of our data is stored on the Evernote servers; a full copy is maintained on our device

• The metadata is stored in database  LocalNoteStore.sqlite
  • The note content is stored externally; a separate folder for each note

These screenshots are from accessing the database

2127745809_ScreenShot2018-06-08at14_47_27.png.7ca6585420c18192990de19a12f37e3f.png

746019202_ScreenShot2018-06-08at14_53_31.thumb.png.6c9e5105c2f9c918b661e23467ffff3f.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Guest Kamala said:

Are the notes store in SQLite databases?  Is it used for other reasons as well?

In the Windows Evernote application, your notes and content like attachments are indeed stored in the SQLite database (or rather cached; your notes also live in Evernote's servers, which would be the master copy), as well as notebook, tags, and other information. You can spelunk it yourself using a third-party tool: DB Browser for SQLlite.

What other reasons would you expect?

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm using a Mac; Windows is a different setup.940537164_ScreenShot2018-06-08at14_46_26.png.a5ef65dc4972a094b87487f7f91aa6e1.png

The master version of our data is stored on the Evernote servers; a full copy is maintained on our device

• The metadata is stored in database  LocalNoteStore.sqlite
  • The note content is stored externally; a separate folder for each note

These screenshots are from accessing the database

2127745809_ScreenShot2018-06-08at14_47_27.png.7ca6585420c18192990de19a12f37e3f.png

746019202_ScreenShot2018-06-08at14_53_31.thumb.png.6c9e5105c2f9c918b661e23467ffff3f.png

Thanks!  This is useful.

18 hours ago, jefito said:

In the Windows Evernote application, your notes and content like attachments are indeed stored in the SQLite database (or rather cached; your notes also live in Evernote's servers, which would be the master copy), as well as notebook, tags, and other information. You can spelunk it yourself using a third-party tool: DB Browser for SQLlite.

Please could I ask where in the local filesystem I would find those [cached] database(s)?  Checking the obvious places didn't help.

What other reasons would you expect?

I hope to learn with no expectations other than the obvious!

Kamala

• Level 5*
On 6/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, Kamala said:

Please could I ask where in the local filesystem I would find those [cached] database(s)?  Checking the obvious places didn't help.

The actual location would be revealed by using Tools / Options / General / "Open Database Folder"

On 6/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, Kamala said:

I hope to learn with no expectations other than the obvious!

What's obvious to you may not be obvious to others.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, jefito said:

The actual location would be revealed by using Tools / Options / General / "Open Database Folder"

Thanks this is very helpful!

It appears Evernote uses LibSQLite.dll library to create and operate on the SQLite database(s) it creates.  Is Evernote's flavor of SQLite built based off of SQLite source by https://sqlite.org?  If so, does Evernote publish the changes/additions it made to the SQLite source to build LibSQLite?

Kamala

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Kamala said:

If so, does Evernote publish the changes/additions it made to the SQLite source to build LibSQLite?

Doubt it; if they do, it's nowhere that I've ever seen.. I'd guess that the distributed DLL is for use only by the Evernote client, and not for use by 3rd parties. It is very likely that they build off the sqlite code base (why would they reinvent that wheel)? It does look like they did add several functions, but it just seems unlikely that they'd make any breaking changes to the DB handling code.

10 hours ago, jefito said:

> Doubt it; if they do, it's nowhere that I've ever seen.. I'd guess that the distributed DLL is for use only by the Evernote client, and not for use by 3rd parties. 

I understand it is for use by Evernote client only and I have no plans to use that DLL is any other environment.  But, I was wondering if Evernote would be willing to make that a pluggable module or provide APIs (or consider providing APIs, if I explain the use case) to extend that module for use within Evernote client environment.  Do you know who at Evernote might be the right person to talk to regarding this?

> It is very likely that they build off the sqlite code base (why would they reinvent that wheel)? It does look like they did add several functions, but it just seems unlikely that they'd make any breaking changes to the DB handling code.

I agree.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Kamala said:

I understand it is for use by Evernote client only and I have no plans to use that DLL is any other environment.  But, I was wondering if Evernote would be willing to make that a pluggable module or provide APIs (or consider providing APIs, if I explain the use case) to extend that module for use within Evernote client environment.  Do you know who at Evernote might be the right person to talk to regarding this?

No idea who you might talk to on this; you might start here: https://dev.evernote.com/support/, I suppose.. At a guess, I'd doubt that they'd want to productize the WIndows DLLs (see an old  forum post here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/17412-working-directly-with-the-evernote-database-sqlite3-access-to-evernotesql/). They already have an SDK, though it's built to talk to the Evernote service, and not local note stores. I know that the Evernote Windows client has a COM API, but it's never been made public.

Archived