I have the most recent version of Evernote and am using Windows 10. The old simple print preview now shows in the default PDF program (with me is MSWord). It appears that the Page setup in Evernote does not work. This is a major problem for me. Also if I try to print multiple notes I get a line in the PDF Viewer between each note. What a pain? Used to be so simple! I am about to pull the plug on Evernote. If I wanted to print a PDF, I would just use Word. I suppose all are having this problem as I got a totally unacceptable response from Tech Support. That means iit is now part of the program.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, robertsjr49@gmail.com said:

I have the most recent version of Evernote and am using Windows 10. The old simple print preview now shows in the default PDF program (with me is MSWord). It appears that the Page setup in Evernote does not work. This is a major problem for me. Also if I try to print multiple notes I get a line in the PDF Viewer between each note. What a pain? Used to be so simple! I am about to pull the plug on Evernote. If I wanted to print a PDF, I would just use Word. I suppose all are having this problem as I got a totally unacceptable response from Tech Support. That means iit is now part of the program.

Yeah this has been reported before as a bug.  Makes no sense that print preview opens a reader of some sort, Adobe in my case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 10:39 AM, CalS said:

Yeah this has been reported before as a bug.  Makes no sense that print preview opens a reader of some sort, Adobe in my case.

I do not think Evernote will fix these issues until they see users leaving. OneNote has never looked so inviting. I have migrated most of my notes. I have move control over printing there. For those of us who still like paper this is important.

• Level 5*

Clueless as to EN's intentions to fix this, though I hope they do for those that print.  Not in my use case, I started using EN to get away from paper. 

Hope ON works well for you, I tried it once and ON didn't fare well based upon how I use EN, lots of attachments and tags with minimal notebooks.  It was like taking four decks of cards and throwing them in the air in a wind.  A bit of a cluster, not well organized in the end, for me anyway.

• Level 5*
On 6/6/2018 at 10:39 AM, CalS said:

Well, they're obviously using PDF as their print support mechanism, probably because it it's well supported around the industry and they can already export Evernote notes to PDF format. Getting crossword puzzles from, say, the NY Times or other online publications works in a similar roundabout way). They'd probably use the term "leveraging existing technology" to describe it. Even if they were somehow able to simplify the process by behind-the-scenes loading the PDF file into their own print preview dialog, they'd still be incorporating a PDF reader of some kind. But this way, you get to use your favorite PDF file reader to field the preview task.

In my case, I see it in Chrome (as that's my default reader). It's a one-shot application of the print settings in Evernote (Tools / Options / Settings / Printing) into a PDF file as far as I can tell, whence the normal print preview pagination settings take place.

Don't know whether I'd describe this as a bug, perhaps a design decision that needs some refinement...

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, robertsjr49@gmail.com said:

I do not think Evernote will fix these issues until they see users leaving.

Sure, maybe. People leave (or threaten to) Evernote all the time. This particular issue is unlikely to be a show-stopper, unlike something like a huge security breach, massive data loss, etc. If OneNote works better for you, then you should use it. It's not so great for others. Vive la difference...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, jefito said:

Don't know whether I'd describe this as a bug, perhaps a design decision that needs some refinement...

You are so kind, or a design decision not fully designed.  For sure not the biggest error in the world, but I guess I'm old school relative to things should be what they say, otherwise you get folks confused and/or sideways.   

1. Print brings up a standard Windows print dialogue, no preview available
  2. Print to PDF brings up a standard Windows Save as dialogue.+
  3. Print Preview brings up your default PDF viewer, kind of like Print to PDF but with more options.

End of the day it is just sloppy, IMHO.  

Image.png.1fc930da0a4da3ae82b8c0eb86b21ccc.png

• Level 5*
On 6/18/2018 at 11:26 AM, CalS said:

You are so kind, or a design decision not fully designed.  For sure not the biggest error in the world, but I guess I'm old school relative to things should be what they say, otherwise you get folks confused and/or sideways.   

1. Print brings up a standard Windows print dialogue, no preview available
  2. Print to PDF brings up a standard Windows Save as dialogue.+
  3. Print Preview brings up your default PDF viewer, kind of like Print to PDF but with more options.

End of the day it is just sloppy, IMHO.  

Well, there are pretty much three separate functions going on here, though there is some overlap, and maybe some less-than-perfectly chosen naming going on. Oh, and would that printing functionality in Windows applications were standardized, but it's not, even among Microsoft applications. Anyways...

The Print... item does what it says; it's a simple print function via dialog. Honors Page settings.

The Print to PDF... item might have been better named "Export to PDF" (but then it should go into the File / Export... dialog, perhaps) or "Save to PDF", because that's what it does, but on the other hand, it also does seem to honor the current Page Setup settings, so it's also a form of printing, I suppose. I rate it a "yes" on does what it says.

Print Preview certainly does give you a print preview, but in a pretty roundabout way. It generates a PDF that honors the page setup options, and then hands it off to your favorite PDF reader (probably defaults to Edge on Win 10 machines, but I use Chrome, you use Adobe, etc.). From there you can actually print: Chrome has a Print button, and from the ensuing dialog, you get the real print preview (i.e., in B&W if that's your chosen printer, etc.), or you can choose to use the system print dialog. Maybe a better name for this (to address your "things should be what they say" point,  as "Print Preview" doesn't quite seem to cut it) but I could't think of a better one off the top of my head...

So while I don't disagree on the point that that the current situation is confusing, I don't think it's as bad as it may seem (maybe if I used Adobe it would  seem worse to me). In the grand scheme of things, it has the functionality, but not as clearly presented as most folks would like..

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jefito said:

Well, there are pretty much three separate functions going on here, though there is some overlap, and maybe some less-than-perfectly chosen naming going on. Oh, and would that printing functionality in Windows applications were standardized, but it's not, even among Microsoft applications. Anyways...

The Print... item does what it says; it's a simple print function via dialog. Honors Page settings.

The Print to PDF... item might have been better named "Export to PDF" (but then it should go into the File / Export... dialog, perhaps) or "Save to PDF", because that's what it does, but on the other hand, it also does seem to honor the current Page Setup settings, so it's also a form of printing, I suppose. I rate it a "yes" on does what it says.

Print Preview certainly does give you a print preview, but in a pretty roundabout way. It generates a PDF that honors the page setup options, and then hands it off to your favorite PDF reader (probably defaults to Edge on Win 10 machines, but I use Chrome, you use Adobe, etc.). From there you can actually print: Chrome has a Print button, and from the ensuing dialog, you get the real print preview (i.e., in B&W if that's your chosen printer, etc.), or you can choose to use the system print dialog. Maybe a better name for this (to address your "things should be what they say" point,  as "Print Preview" doesn't quite seem to cut it) but I could't think of a better one off the top of my head...

So while I don't disagree on the point that that the current situation is confusing, I don't think it's as bad as it may seem (maybe if I used Adobe it would  seem worse to me). In the grand scheme of things, it has the functionality, but not as clearly presented as most folks would like..

TLDR:  sloppy.  ?

Archived