tools for editing enex file

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, actant said:

I've been using free Komodo Edit to modify .enex file for a long time. Hope to know what you guys use. Thanks for sharing! 

I use Textastic on a Mac and can directly edit the note's content.enml file as well as exported .enex files.

Textastic has syntax highlighting.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use Textastic on a Mac and can directly edit the note's content.enml file.

Textastic has syntax highlighting.

I only export enex file for editing. How do you get the content enml file for a specific note? Thanks!

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, actant said:

How do you get the content enml file for a specific note?

784991182_ScreenShot2018-06-01at07_21_35.png.56a1a3b83f86ca3536c9eb0aeded3260.png

On a Mac, each note has a separate folder 

I use a script to identify the folder (see note linked below)

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

784991182_ScreenShot2018-06-01at07_21_35.png.56a1a3b83f86ca3536c9eb0aeded3260.png

On a Mac, each note has a separate folder 

I use a script to identify the folder (see note linked below)

"On a Mac, each note has a separate folder"  ---------- it's unbelievable. Before your post, I noticed that happens in my Android phone. If you have 80000 notes, how can the hard disk work! On Windows, all the notes are packed in a single database file, it seems to be impossible to edit the content of a single note. Thanks!

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, actant said:

If you have 80000 notes, how can the hard disk work! On Windows, all the notes are packed in a single database file

Actually, hard disks have no problem with 80,000 folders.
The metadata is stored is a single compact SQLite database

I could ask how does "packed in a single database file" work; how can a pdf file be displayed?

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Actually, hard disks have no problem with 80,000 folders.
The metadata is stored is a single compact SQLite database

I could ask how does "packed in a single database file" work; how can you view a .pdf file

You never used Evernote on Windows? In Evernote Windows, each account has a single HUGE database file, into which all the attached files are packed.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, actant said:

I only export enex file for editing. How do you get the content enml file for a specific note? Thanks!

This being a Windows forum, we can skip all that Mac stuff... ?

You can get the ENML for a single note by right-clicking on it in your note list, and selecting "Export Note..."  and selecting "Export as a file in ENEX format (.enex)". You'll need to import it back in to add it to your notes once you've edited it; it'll be a new note. It won't have its original notebook (notebooks aren't included in ENML) and any note links to the original note won't link to the new note.

For what it's worth, you can use any text editor to edit these; I use Notepad++ for that, and many other things.

7 hours ago, jefito said:

This being a Windows forum, we can skip all that Mac stuff... ?

You can get the ENML for a single note by right-clicking on it in your note list, and selecting "Export Note..."  and selecting "Export as a file in ENEX format (.enex)". You'll need to import it back in to add it to your notes once you've edited it; it'll be a new note. It won't have its original notebook (notebooks aren't included in ENML) and any note links to the original note won't link to the new note.

For what it's worth, you can use any text editor to edit these; I use Notepad++ for that, and many other things.

Yes, the ENEX approach loses the note link. But there is no other choice. I'll try Notepad++. Thanks for sharing!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, actant said:

Yes, the ENEX approach loses the note link. But there is no other choice.

I'm not sure what edits you're making but editing the enml is hardcore tech
An alternative is to make your changes elsewhere, and paste into the note.

For example, view your note in a browser and edit the html code (still hardcore)
Keeping it simple; edit in a Word Processing app

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not sure what edits you're making but editing the enml is hardcore tech
An alternative is to make your changes elsewhere, and paste into the note.

For example, view your note in a browser and edit the html code (still hardcore)
Keeping it simple; edit in a Word Processing app

Things I do by editing an ENEX file are like: making some table cells aligned as vertical center, inserting subscript/superscript, and replacing strings with regex. Pasting a block directly from Word or web browser often introduces some troublesome formats.

Archived