Does EN/iOS sync in the background?

Is Evernote for iOS supposed to be able to sync in the background?

I ask because I recently had an event where tech support suggested I Deep Sync (two-finger tap the Sync button) to fix.

They failed to warn me this would be a full wipe and refresh - with my 35,000+ notes it took nearly two days.

A followup comment from them suggested turning Display Lock off and leaving Evernote as the frontmost app.

I have noticed that Evernote, despite always being open, seems to not sync unless it's frontmost.

Yes - I have background refresh enabled. I also have mobile data access enabled and the Sync on Wifi Only option off.

The most recent info I found was a 2015 thread which suggested skepticism despite it supposedly being a feature introduced in 2013.

My (programmer brain) suspicion is that it kinda syncs in the background but the way they have written it doesn't cope with the volume of metadata from a heavy user such as myself, so it can't get much done.

Further thinking - it may be succeeding in getting some or all metadata but doesn't seem to be pulling down note content for offline notebooks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AndyDent said:

It works for me, my data seems to be always up to date

You enable this with    IOS Settings > Evernote > Background App Refresh

E060565B-FC49-4F3D-A7AB-1B96755828D5.thumb.jpeg.aae4b78ece7de714804cd0964202f21e.jpeg

• Level 5*
On 5/31/2018 at 10:53 PM, AndyDent said:

I ask because I recently had an event where tech support suggested I Deep Sync (two-finger tap the Sync button) to fix.

They failed to warn me this would be a full wipe and refresh - with my 35,000+ notes it took nearly two days.

A followup comment from them suggested turning Display Lock off and leaving Evernote as the frontmost app.

I have noticed that Evernote, despite always being open, seems to not sync unless it's frontmost.

Yes - I have background refresh enabled. I also have mobile data access enabled and the Sync on Wifi Only option off.

The most recent info I found was a 2015 thread which suggested skepticism despite it supposedly being a feature introduced in 2013.

My (programmer brain) suspicion is that it kinda syncs in the background but the way they have written it doesn't cope with the volume of metadata from a heavy user such as myself, so it can't get much done.

Further thinking - it may be succeeding in getting some or all metadata but doesn't seem to be pulling down note content for offline notebooks.

All excellent questions/points that to which it would be nice if EN would respond. 

Only effective way I have found to rebuild EN on my iPhone is to turn off display lock and leave EN foremost overnight.  But that is with just a few notes in a offline access specific notebook.  I found full offline notebooks not worth the squeeze for my use.

• 2 months later...

I am also experiencing this. If I add reminders to notes on my computer and don't bring Evernote on my iPhone to the foreground those notes/reminders do not sync. In fact when I do bring Evernote to the foreground I can watch it sync all the changes that have occurred since the last time it was brought to the foreground. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, curtisdevault said:

I am also experiencing this. If I add reminders to notes on my computer and don't bring Evernote on my iPhone to the foreground those notes/reminders do not sync. In fact when I do bring Evernote to the foreground I can watch it sync all the changes that have occurred since the last time it was brought to the foreground. 

You can try going to Settings - Evernote and enabling Background App Refresh.  I tried this a ways back and there seemed to be a bit of a battery drain plus I was never quite 100% sure everything was getting synced.  So now, I just force a sync whenever I open/bring the app to the foreground.  FWIW.

1 minute ago, CalS said:

You can try going to Settings - Evernote and enabling Background App Refresh.  I tried this a ways back and there seemed to be a bit of a battery drain plus I was never quite 100% sure everything was getting synced.  So now, I just force a sync whenever I open/bring the app to the foreground.  FWIW.

I have always had background app refresh enabled for Evernote and has never made a difference. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, curtisdevault said:

I have always had background app refresh enabled for Evernote and has never made a difference. 

Same reason I don't use it I suppose....

Archived