Evernote for Mac 7.2 GA

Jason Creadore

Idea

[Edit 7/13: We've released a patch to address an issue users some users were encountering saving some images using the Evernote Helper & the "Save to Evernote" command in Safari. Link to mos up to date build has been updated below.]

Hi All,

Today we are releasing 7.2 GA! The release consists of a more robust handling of open attachments while editing externally, the option for auto download & install and numerous bugfixes, particularly in the areas of PDFs, sharing and UI. Out of app, we're trying a new release notes format that is generally more accessible. The release can be found here.

___

Evernote for Mac 7.2 GA Release Notes

New:

You now can automatically download and install all updates. That’s one less thing to take care of.

While editing an attachment in an outside program, you might have lost all your work if the note got deleted in a crash. Now, you will get a prompt to save these changes to a new note, rescuing your hard work.

Fixed:

Sometimes it would all come crashing down when PDFs were annotated, but no more.

Now and then, nested tags would collapse when they weren’t supposed to, which was slightly embarrassing.

When you merged notes and synced, the notes’ images, PDFs, or audio didn’t always come along for the ride.

If you removed a notebook from your shortcuts, sometimes the notebook would no longer be displayed anywhere, as if it mysteriously disappeared altogether.

Drag and drop was sometimes interfering with copy and paste, causing copied content to not paste correctly. Can’t we all just get along?

When you shared a note through iMessage, sometimes it only shared the title instead of the entire note, which wasn’t particularly useful.

Sometimes you put a URL in a note and then the content wouldn’t load, which was a bummer.

When you added an image, rotated it, and then had a change of heart and hit undo, you somehow lost everything in your note. This was, admittedly, a bit of an overreaction.

If you didn’t have the ‘Show Notes in Groups’ sort option checked off, then you were unable to see the title of the note at the top of the list in Snippet View. A very specific wrong that has now been righted.

Evernote Business updates:

You’ll see more relevant search results, thanks to some work we did under the hood.

The member list for a space sometimes showed blank users, which was a little spooky, but it’s all resolved now.

The widgets in a space were displaying an ‘unable to load’ message, which you very reasonably did not want to see. But it’s now a thing of the past.

20 replies to this idea

On 5/31/2018 at 12:07 AM, Jorge Ferreira said:

When Show notes in groups is selected on the view options, notes indeed appear grouped, but the group name is not shown (ie: Dates like March 2018 as the group title).

_Inbox.thumb.png.aed495d4e3f9f93aa20cc48e5cfea576.png

This bug is fixed in the 7.6 beta 1.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:24 PM, Cherice B said:

I too am getting this CONSTANTLY on the Mac version. It's quite frustrating. Fails first time, succeeds on second attempt every time.

Hey! Thanks for reporting. This is a known bug that we're looking into fixing soon. Rebuilding the app's database tends to fix it and may be a viable solution if your database is small, and if you don't have local notebooks.

cc: @Infor

On 6/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, Infor said:

The issue is not specific to version 7.2.x, but I get sync errors very frequently at the moment – It bugs me since the sync continues to work a few seconds or minutes later when retrying.

What is the reason – Mac-Client or server availability?

image.thumb.png.088fb3f74902f8f0b3344a4b4a819679.png

I too am getting this CONSTANTLY on the Mac version. It's quite frustrating. Fails first time, succeeds on second attempt every time.

The issue is not specific to version 7.2.x, but I get sync errors very frequently at the moment – It bugs me since the sync continues to work a few seconds or minutes later when retrying.

What is the reason – Mac-Client or server availability?

image.thumb.png.088fb3f74902f8f0b3344a4b4a819679.png

I'm very very happy to say that I'm responding to Ticket# 2548515 - Evernote Mac unresponsive during sync by saying that 7.2 appears to have fixed this problem, which has been a huge problem for me for a long time. Thanks for what I'm sure was a significant engineering challenge

(I've been developing for over 35 years and I know how hard conflicts with background comms can be.)

On 5/30/2018 at 3:07 PM, Jorge Ferreira said:

When Show notes in groups is selected on the view options, notes indeed appear grouped, but the group name is not shown (ie: Dates like March 2018 as the group title).

_Inbox.thumb.png.aed495d4e3f9f93aa20cc48e5cfea576.png

Thanks for pointing out the missing headers. As of this week, we are aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

35 minutes ago, jfkaess said:

Not Fixed:

There is still a pop up notification which must be approved EVERY SINGLE TIME i move a note from my inbox to a notebook which is shared telling me that other people can see this note. Seriously, there is NO NEED for this ridiculous notification which must be approved EVERY SINGLE TIME.

This needs to pop up once and give me a check box to never have it pop up again. I move notes 5 to 10 times a day. This never existed before 7.0 and it isn't needed. Is Evernote deliberately trying to slow my work process? I've never seen a request for this. Why are you nagging me 10 times a day for the EXACT SAME THING  OVER and OVER?

@jfkaessthank you for the feedback. The Mac team is aware of this issue and we will investigate it in the very near future.

Not Fixed:

There is still a pop up notification which must be approved EVERY SINGLE TIME i move a note from my inbox to a notebook which is shared telling me that other people can see this note. Seriously, there is NO NEED for this ridiculous notification which must be approved EVERY SINGLE TIME.

This needs to pop up once and give me a check box to never have it pop up again. I move notes 5 to 10 times a day. This never existed before 7.0 and it isn't needed. Is Evernote deliberately trying to slow my work process? I've never seen a request for this. Why are you nagging me 10 times a day for the EXACT SAME THING  OVER and OVER?

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Still resetting all of my column widths to equal width vs retaining my preferences.

@EdH, thank you for the feedback. The Mac team is aware of this issue and we will investigate it in the very near future.

7 hours ago, Vincent Noel said:

A little suggestion: when you've fixed a bug that led to lost data, please refrain from making jokes about it in the release notes. People affected by that bug having lost data might not appreciate the humor.

Something else I've found: when I go to preferences, select "Software Update" and click on "Go to Mac Forum..." at the bottom, I get an error page.

1699778913_ScreenShot2018-05-30at10_00_19.png.ebaf4690b5476d9cc6cbf4d90ac6c68d.png

Yeah, I've been complaining about the broken link in Evernote for a while now. Since they switched the forum software.

A little suggestion: when you've fixed a bug that led to lost data, please refrain from making jokes about it in the release notes. People affected by that bug having lost data might not appreciate the humor.

Something else I've found: when I go to preferences, select "Software Update" and click on "Go to Mac Forum..." at the bottom, I get an error page.

1699778913_ScreenShot2018-05-30at10_00_19.png.ebaf4690b5476d9cc6cbf4d90ac6c68d.png

Archived