NOTE SIZE LIMIT INCREASE

rjbokleman

Idea

It's 2017, Evernote.  Limiting us to 200MB today in a single note isn't working anymore and will force me back to OneNote.  Many .pdf files are larger than 200MB.  A new limit of 2GB per note needs to be put into place.

• Like 7

34 replies to this idea

As a Premium user we get 10 GB upload per month.

However the Note Size is limited to 200 MB.

I have few videos files which I want to upload. But can't  due to the limit in Note Size.

I request the team to please REMOVE THE LIMIT ON SIZE OF THE NOTE.

Dear Community Members

Please upvote this Feature Request.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What I sometimes run up against is having multiple media file types in a note will quickly get up to 200mb. Even the max file size for attaching a file to this post is over 500mb. 

It’s just something I don’t want to have to to think about when creating a note. If I have to consider if I am doing too much in my note, then the tool is getting in the way of doing my best work.

With so much competition for notes applications nowadays, this is a quick win that would go a long way to show users that Evernote wants to deliver more value to customers.

just for comparison to other note taking applications:

Bear - 250mb limit per attachment, no posted note size limit

Google Keep - No posted note size limit

Notability - No posted limit

iCloud Notes - No posted limit

Box notes - No posted limit

Dropbox Paper - No posted limit

Evernote needs to ask itself, “Why not “ in terms of increasing this limit. Even a modest limit to 500mb would make me happy. If what others on this thread is saying is true that they don’t have any notes close to 200mb, then wouldn’t increasing this be a gesture of progress that wouldn’t cause a mass overload of uploads? Especially your premium members need this.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, rjbokleman said:

Many .pdf files are larger than 200MB.

Yes, there are some people who have lots of .pdf files larger than 200MB. But the majority of Evernote users don't have a need for storing such huge files in Evernote.

I searched for my largest files and found a .pdf copy of an RV magazine in Evernote. (Cover pasted below)

It has 164 pages and includes full-page color ads. It is 73MB.

Magazine.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, rjbokleman said:

Limiting us to 200MB today in a single note isn't working anymore and will force me back to OneNote.  Many .pdf files are larger than 200MB.  A new limit of 2GB per note needs to be put into place.

My solution would be to store the file externally to Evernote and include a link in the note

Why do you need such large files stored in Evernote?

As an external file, there’s no impact to note size limit, upload limit, or your ISP bandwidth 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Yes, there are some people who have lots of .pdf files larger than 200MB. But the majority of Evernote users don't have a need for storing such huge files in Evernote.

I searched for my largest files and found a .pdf copy of an RV magazine in Evernote. (Cover pasted below)

It has 164 pages and includes full-page color ads. It is 73MB.

Magazine.png

Is that you having a toddy out front?

• Like 1

I also come up against this limit often.

I have a lot of cooking ebooks that are about 250MB. I like to save my cookbooks to Evernote as it's my go-to place when looking for recipes.

And I don't want to leave the cookbooks on my hard drive as it keeps running out of space.

• Level 5*
On 7/31/2017 at 5:02 AM, rjbokleman said:

@DTLow  On macOS how do you do an 'external link' to a .pdf?  I see attach or link to an http address, but that's it.

Here's an example

I have a pdf file with pathname     /Users/david/Desktop/Status- Evernote Backup Script - 20170730.pdf

In Evernote, I can paste this into a note, but it's not an active link597f38dad2251_ScreenShot2017-07-31at07_03_10.png.b3ef590c16eacf2fd820e23bfb892c99.png
I select the text, right click and select Link > Add
The link text is file:///Users/david/Desktop/Status- Evernote Backup Script - 20170730.pdf

Hello Evernote Developers,

Can you please increase the note character limit to 30 million Unicode characters?
Because with the max note size of 200 MB, it's a shame those 200 MB cannot be used for text (aka the primary content of notes).

Hope to hear from Evernote as to whether the character limit is going to be increased any time soon.

Best regards, 
Kitezh47

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
A user with a similar frustration:
https://software4scholars.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/evernotes-secret-character-limit-to-notes/
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I am in favour of this idea.  Most of the pdfs I read are about photography and the author has to be extremely careful when compressing the images that the overall integrity of the images are not compromised.  For this reason many of my pdfs are over 200mb.  I would like to see it raised to 500mb (even 250 would be better).

As it is Evernote is excellent but flawed.  This one enhancement would make it nearly perfect!

FLpdf.jpg

I agree, there are many use cases for which this limit creates issues. For example, If i am taking audio notes and video notes pertaining to a specific topic, I have to store it in multiple notes just because one note cannot incorporate more than 200 MB. Not only its a nuisance, it also interferes with the organisational structure. 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, marcotaffi said:

This is something very needed! I understand you can't fully remove the limit, but 200M is really too low nowadays.

Out of interest, why do you want a 200 MB video file stored in EN, what with all the cloud services available for raw storage?  Just wondering about the use case.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, CalS said:

Out of interest, why do you want a 200 MB video file stored in EN, what with all the cloud services available for raw storage?  Just wondering about the use case.

Working in a press office, I archive all stuffs in evernote. 

Sometime I have clips from our national television I want to archive with the rest of the stuff, but I have to go out of Evernote only for them.

I compress all clips to 200Mb but sometime it is not possibile, I would need maybe 300Mb.

thanks!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, marcotaffi said:

Working in a press office, I archive all stuffs in evernote. 

Sometime I have clips from our national television I want to archive with the rest of the stuff, but I have to go out of Evernote only for them.

I compress all clips to 200Mb but sometime it is not possibile, I would need maybe 300Mb.

thanks!

Appreciate the explanation.  The videos I have are mostly personal.  Most are greater than 200 MB.  I have them stored on a local USB attached SSD synced to a cloud service.  I put a link to the video in an EN note and then title and tag appropriately. 

Works pretty much the same in that if I click on the link the video starts.  Since EN doesn't make a video in itself searchable I find it to be a fine compromise.  Easy to find via title and/or tags and still effectively backed up in the cloud.  FWIW.

• Level 5

From my perspective, EN is designed to rely heavily on a syncing process. If using a mobile client, everything depends on sync.

Thus I would rather prefer the link-to-solution over a full storage of videos in the EN database. Although it is possible, I do not think it was designed with this in mind.

Another issue is that notes of that size nibble away from the upload limit. I once retagged a larger number of notes containing larger PDFs. Just tags and in some cases a little text of the Title was changed, but it counted the full note size including the pdf as if newly created. It was the only month ever I came close to my upload limit.

Is there really nothing like Lightroom or similar used for fotos available and quasi-standard for archiving videos ?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, marcotaffi said:

I would need maybe 300Mb.

I added my vote to the request (vote button at the top left corner of the discussion) but someone's going to post 300 is not enough; they need nnn.  

There's no end to this unless Evernote goes unlimited note size (do  we need both limits, note size and upload limit)

In the meantime, store your videos outside of Evernote and include a file link in an Evernote note

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, majorghn said:

should allow at least 500 mb.

I've merged posts requesting a note size increase
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

I am a Windows 10 user.  Plus Account is limited to 50 MB.

A tiff file of a scanned handwritten A4 page is just over 25MB, so I am limited to one page per note.  The handwriting in ballpoint is of course going to create a fairly large file size to be readable.   Notes relating to IT info, steps for a rebuild or reinstallation etc would take too much time to type in. So I would also appreciate an increase in the allocations.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, lightflamingo said:

Plus Account is limited to 50 MB.

Plus accounts no no longer exist, except for folks who are grandfathered in. I.e., they're pretty much at a dead end. See the FAQ.  I wouldn't expect them to increase the allocation limits for Plus. Sounds like your use case is more geared towards a Premium level.Is it possible to compress the TIFF files to save space?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I merged your post with similar requests       
As per @jefito, your immediate solution is to upgrade to Premium    
also, the tiff format is unusual for scanned handwriting; I use a compressed format like jpeg

Current note size limits are

Basic
25 MB
Plus
50 MB
Premium
200 MB
Business
200 MB
  • Level 5

Usually when I save a TIFF, it is because I want / need an uncompressed picture file. But then I save it to a disk drive, because handling of file this large is not always practical over an ISP connection. It is even slow using my Gigabit LAN at home. Once I finished working on the TIFF, it will be saved in something like JPG or PNG, shrinking it by as much as 9/10th.

But everybody has his own workflow, and needs.

P.S. 200 MB is even huge when saved as a TIFF. I sometimes stitch several pictures together to a panorama. You need several pictures to take the combined file north of 200MB. But the new Sony has a 61MPix Sensor, maybe it is time for a change then.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2020 at 8:24 AM, jefito said:

Plus accounts no no longer exist, except for folks who are grandfathered in. I.e., they're pretty much at a dead end. See the FAQ.  I wouldn't expect them to increase the allocation limits for Plus. Sounds like your use case is more geared towards a Premium level.Is it possible to compress the TIFF files to save space?

The information is usually something that is wanted in a hurry while troubleshooting.  To download and unzip a file to view it defeats the purpose of speed.  Probably would be as fast as using a paper-based system in a file.  Unfortunately, with a fixed income the difference in price puts Premium out of my reach.  Thanks for response anyway.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, lightflamingo said:

The information is usually something that is wanted in a hurry while troubleshooting.  To download and unzip a file to view it defeats the purpose of speed.  Probably would be as fast as using a paper-based system in a file.  Unfortunately, with a fixed income the difference in price puts Premium out of my reach.  Thanks for response anyway.

The only thing that I can suggest (not owning a scanner myself) is to check whether your you can configure your scanner to use TIFF's native compression (it's still lossless) so that you get smaller files. Good luck.

• Level 5

A full TIFF format is normally used for the uncompressed storage of color pictures.

To compress a TIFF, many scanners allow for switching from color to grayscale or even to black&white. Grayscale reduces the number of „color“ channels with grading information to just 1, b&w even further to 1 bit per pixel. Readability of text usually does not suffer, but picture sizes will decrease dramatically.

For text written in longhand JPG can be an alternative file format as well. The compression algorithm of JPG does not work well on typeface, but on handwriting it is usually pretty effective.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

A full TIFF format is normally used for the uncompressed storage of color pictures.

TIFF format is generally meant to be lossless, but is still losslessly compressible, and that's supported in the format. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF#TIFF_Compression_Tag

Different question is whether scanners can do compression or not.

I've been a premium member for 6 years.  I'd pay double to be "super-premium" (whatever you want to call it), if you'd increase the maximum note size.  The benefit of Evernote is to track an entire project form estimating through bidding through selling through shipping through invoicing, etc...  Several times per year I hit the low 200MB limit and have to either split my project into multiple notes or start deleting some of the history (which I'll never get back).

I've seen responses to others saying "why do you need to store all those files in the note?"  Because that is why I use Evernote!  If I wanted to have folders full of project files without context (i.e. notes), I wouldn't need Evernote at all.  

P.S. Instead of creating a new membership level with much higher maximum note capacity, maybe just double or triple the capacity for business members.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, rise.jeremy said:

I'd pay double to be "super-premium" (whatever you want to call it), if you'd increase the maximum note size

I merged your post with a similar request
To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Would love to see videos supported in Evernote better. I use videos all the time but I have to use Dropbox to store them which I find frustrating needing to have 2 subscriptions. I realize that Evernote can support videos but it is limited to 200mb upload which is a ridiculous limitation when it comes to videos. It would be nice if somehow we could access the same size videos as all the other apps out there.

If EN could do that it would be perfect for storing all of the various resources out there

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, badjer.phoenix said:

I realize that Evernote can support videos but it is limited to 200mb upload which is a ridiculous limitation when it comes to videos.

Merged with ongoing request discussion

• Like 1