NOTE SIZE LIMIT INCREASE

rjbokleman

Idea

77 replies to this idea

As a Premium user we get 10 GB upload per month.

However the Note Size is limited to 200 MB.

I have few videos files which I want to upload. But can't  due to the limit in Note Size.

I request the team to please REMOVE THE LIMIT ON SIZE OF THE NOTE.

Dear Community Members

Please upvote this Feature Request.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What I sometimes run up against is having multiple media file types in a note will quickly get up to 200mb. Even the max file size for attaching a file to this post is over 500mb. 

It’s just something I don’t want to have to to think about when creating a note. If I have to consider if I am doing too much in my note, then the tool is getting in the way of doing my best work.

With so much competition for notes applications nowadays, this is a quick win that would go a long way to show users that Evernote wants to deliver more value to customers.

just for comparison to other note taking applications:

Bear - 250mb limit per attachment, no posted note size limit

Google Keep - No posted note size limit

Notability - No posted limit

iCloud Notes - No posted limit

Box notes - No posted limit

Dropbox Paper - No posted limit

Evernote needs to ask itself, “Why not “ in terms of increasing this limit. Even a modest limit to 500mb would make me happy. If what others on this thread is saying is true that they don’t have any notes close to 200mb, then wouldn’t increasing this be a gesture of progress that wouldn’t cause a mass overload of uploads? Especially your premium members need this.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, majorghn said:

should allow at least 500 mb.

I've merged posts requesting a note size increase
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

I am in favour of this idea.  Most of the pdfs I read are about photography and the author has to be extremely careful when compressing the images that the overall integrity of the images are not compromised.  For this reason many of my pdfs are over 200mb.  I would like to see it raised to 500mb (even 250 would be better).

As it is Evernote is excellent but flawed.  This one enhancement would make it nearly perfect!

FLpdf.jpg

I agree, there are many use cases for which this limit creates issues. For example, If i am taking audio notes and video notes pertaining to a specific topic, I have to store it in multiple notes just because one note cannot incorporate more than 200 MB. Not only its a nuisance, it also interferes with the organisational structure. 

On 3/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, CalS said:

Out of interest, why do you want a 200 MB video file stored in EN, what with all the cloud services available for raw storage?  Just wondering about the use case.

Working in a press office, I archive all stuffs in evernote. 

Sometime I have clips from our national television I want to archive with the rest of the stuff, but I have to go out of Evernote only for them.

I compress all clips to 200Mb but sometime it is not possibile, I would need maybe 300Mb.

thanks!

• Level 5
3 hours ago, rjbokleman said:

Many .pdf files are larger than 200MB.

Yes, there are some people who have lots of .pdf files larger than 200MB. But the majority of Evernote users don't have a need for storing such huge files in Evernote.

I searched for my largest files and found a .pdf copy of an RV magazine in Evernote. (Cover pasted below)

It has 164 pages and includes full-page color ads. It is 73MB.

Magazine.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, rjbokleman said:

Limiting us to 200MB today in a single note isn't working anymore and will force me back to OneNote.  Many .pdf files are larger than 200MB.  A new limit of 2GB per note needs to be put into place.

My solution would be to store the file externally to Evernote and include a link in the note

Why do you need such large files stored in Evernote?

As an external file, there’s no impact to note size limit, upload limit, or your ISP bandwidth 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Yes, there are some people who have lots of .pdf files larger than 200MB. But the majority of Evernote users don't have a need for storing such huge files in Evernote.

I searched for my largest files and found a .pdf copy of an RV magazine in Evernote. (Cover pasted below)

It has 164 pages and includes full-page color ads. It is 73MB.

Magazine.png

Is that you having a toddy out front?

• Like 1

I also come up against this limit often.

I have a lot of cooking ebooks that are about 250MB. I like to save my cookbooks to Evernote as it's my go-to place when looking for recipes.

And I don't want to leave the cookbooks on my hard drive as it keeps running out of space.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 7/31/2017 at 5:02 AM, rjbokleman said:

@DTLow  On macOS how do you do an 'external link' to a .pdf?  I see attach or link to an http address, but that's it.

Here's an example

I have a pdf file with pathname     /Users/david/Desktop/Status- Evernote Backup Script - 20170730.pdf

In Evernote, I can paste this into a note, but it's not an active link597f38dad2251_ScreenShot2017-07-31at07_03_10.png.b3ef590c16eacf2fd820e23bfb892c99.png
I select the text, right click and select Link > Add
The link text is file:///Users/david/Desktop/Status- Evernote Backup Script - 20170730.pdf

Hello Evernote Developers,

Can you please increase the note character limit to 30 million Unicode characters?
Because with the max note size of 200 MB, it's a shame those 200 MB cannot be used for text (aka the primary content of notes).

Hope to hear from Evernote as to whether the character limit is going to be increased any time soon.

Best regards, 
Kitezh47

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
A user with a similar frustration:
https://software4scholars.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/evernotes-secret-character-limit-to-notes/
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, marcotaffi said:

This is something very needed! I understand you can't fully remove the limit, but 200M is really too low nowadays.

Out of interest, why do you want a 200 MB video file stored in EN, what with all the cloud services available for raw storage?  Just wondering about the use case.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, marcotaffi said:

Working in a press office, I archive all stuffs in evernote. 

Sometime I have clips from our national television I want to archive with the rest of the stuff, but I have to go out of Evernote only for them.

I compress all clips to 200Mb but sometime it is not possibile, I would need maybe 300Mb.

thanks!

Appreciate the explanation.  The videos I have are mostly personal.  Most are greater than 200 MB.  I have them stored on a local USB attached SSD synced to a cloud service.  I put a link to the video in an EN note and then title and tag appropriately. 

Works pretty much the same in that if I click on the link the video starts.  Since EN doesn't make a video in itself searchable I find it to be a fine compromise.  Easy to find via title and/or tags and still effectively backed up in the cloud.  FWIW.

• Level 5

From my perspective, EN is designed to rely heavily on a syncing process. If using a mobile client, everything depends on sync.

Thus I would rather prefer the link-to-solution over a full storage of videos in the EN database. Although it is possible, I do not think it was designed with this in mind.

Another issue is that notes of that size nibble away from the upload limit. I once retagged a larger number of notes containing larger PDFs. Just tags and in some cases a little text of the Title was changed, but it counted the full note size including the pdf as if newly created. It was the only month ever I came close to my upload limit.

Is there really nothing like Lightroom or similar used for fotos available and quasi-standard for archiving videos ?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, marcotaffi said:

I would need maybe 300Mb.

I added my vote to the request (vote button at the top left corner of the discussion) but someone's going to post 300 is not enough; they need nnn.  

There's no end to this unless Evernote goes unlimited note size (do  we need both limits, note size and upload limit)

In the meantime, store your videos outside of Evernote and include a file link in an Evernote note

I am a Windows 10 user.  Plus Account is limited to 50 MB.

A tiff file of a scanned handwritten A4 page is just over 25MB, so I am limited to one page per note.  The handwriting in ballpoint is of course going to create a fairly large file size to be readable.   Notes relating to IT info, steps for a rebuild or reinstallation etc would take too much time to type in. So I would also appreciate an increase in the allocations.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, lightflamingo said:

Plus Account is limited to 50 MB.

Plus accounts no no longer exist, except for folks who are grandfathered in. I.e., they're pretty much at a dead end. See the FAQ.  I wouldn't expect them to increase the allocation limits for Plus. Sounds like your use case is more geared towards a Premium level.Is it possible to compress the TIFF files to save space?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I merged your post with similar requests       
As per @jefito, your immediate solution is to upgrade to Premium    
also, the tiff format is unusual for scanned handwriting; I use a compressed format like jpeg

Current note size limits are

Basic
25 MB
Plus
50 MB
Premium
200 MB
Business
200 MB
  • Level 5

Usually when I save a TIFF, it is because I want / need an uncompressed picture file. But then I save it to a disk drive, because handling of file this large is not always practical over an ISP connection. It is even slow using my Gigabit LAN at home. Once I finished working on the TIFF, it will be saved in something like JPG or PNG, shrinking it by as much as 9/10th.

But everybody has his own workflow, and needs.

P.S. 200 MB is even huge when saved as a TIFF. I sometimes stitch several pictures together to a panorama. You need several pictures to take the combined file north of 200MB. But the new Sony has a 61MPix Sensor, maybe it is time for a change then.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2020 at 8:24 AM, jefito said:

Plus accounts no no longer exist, except for folks who are grandfathered in. I.e., they're pretty much at a dead end. See the FAQ.  I wouldn't expect them to increase the allocation limits for Plus. Sounds like your use case is more geared towards a Premium level.Is it possible to compress the TIFF files to save space?

The information is usually something that is wanted in a hurry while troubleshooting.  To download and unzip a file to view it defeats the purpose of speed.  Probably would be as fast as using a paper-based system in a file.  Unfortunately, with a fixed income the difference in price puts Premium out of my reach.  Thanks for response anyway.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, lightflamingo said:

The information is usually something that is wanted in a hurry while troubleshooting.  To download and unzip a file to view it defeats the purpose of speed.  Probably would be as fast as using a paper-based system in a file.  Unfortunately, with a fixed income the difference in price puts Premium out of my reach.  Thanks for response anyway.

The only thing that I can suggest (not owning a scanner myself) is to check whether your you can configure your scanner to use TIFF's native compression (it's still lossless) so that you get smaller files. Good luck.

• Level 5

A full TIFF format is normally used for the uncompressed storage of color pictures.

To compress a TIFF, many scanners allow for switching from color to grayscale or even to black&white. Grayscale reduces the number of „color“ channels with grading information to just 1, b&w even further to 1 bit per pixel. Readability of text usually does not suffer, but picture sizes will decrease dramatically.

For text written in longhand JPG can be an alternative file format as well. The compression algorithm of JPG does not work well on typeface, but on handwriting it is usually pretty effective.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

A full TIFF format is normally used for the uncompressed storage of color pictures.

TIFF format is generally meant to be lossless, but is still losslessly compressible, and that's supported in the format. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF#TIFF_Compression_Tag

Different question is whether scanners can do compression or not.

I've been a premium member for 6 years.  I'd pay double to be "super-premium" (whatever you want to call it), if you'd increase the maximum note size.  The benefit of Evernote is to track an entire project form estimating through bidding through selling through shipping through invoicing, etc...  Several times per year I hit the low 200MB limit and have to either split my project into multiple notes or start deleting some of the history (which I'll never get back).

I've seen responses to others saying "why do you need to store all those files in the note?"  Because that is why I use Evernote!  If I wanted to have folders full of project files without context (i.e. notes), I wouldn't need Evernote at all.  

P.S. Instead of creating a new membership level with much higher maximum note capacity, maybe just double or triple the capacity for business members.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, rise.jeremy said:

I'd pay double to be "super-premium" (whatever you want to call it), if you'd increase the maximum note size

I merged your post with a similar request
To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Would love to see videos supported in Evernote better. I use videos all the time but I have to use Dropbox to store them which I find frustrating needing to have 2 subscriptions. I realize that Evernote can support videos but it is limited to 200mb upload which is a ridiculous limitation when it comes to videos. It would be nice if somehow we could access the same size videos as all the other apps out there.

If EN could do that it would be perfect for storing all of the various resources out there

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, badjer.phoenix said:

I realize that Evernote can support videos but it is limited to 200mb upload which is a ridiculous limitation when it comes to videos.

Merged with ongoing request discussion

• Like 1

I just stumbled into this thread because this morning EN is limiting me to 20 MB instead of my usual 200 MB. I suspect this is a bug that will be fixed later, but it is annoying right now as I don’t want to have to circle back to fix notes that are too small.

This discussion is interesting because there seem to be two narratives:

1. I need more storage because I am doing X and 200 MB is too small.
  2. You should not be doing X. 200 MB is more than enough for anyone.

I fall into the camp of “Don’t lecture me on what I should and should not be storing into Evernote.” You have your workflow and I have mine. My workflow is hobbled by 200 MB but I find ways to cope. If 200 MB is sufficient for your needs, I think that’s awesome. Don’t pretend that you know my needs.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

From my side it would be very simple: Currently the Plans have limits for the monthly upload, and the upload per note. Using a lot of server space is not in the scope.

They should implement something like a Premium+ - where you pay for the total storage used on the server, not only for the upload. This could be a model for those who need a lot of server space in the first place.

• Like 2

I do recall that the slogan for Evernote was “Remember Everything.” Today on the “Why Evernote” portion of the web page it has a heading “Save Everything” and “Sync Everything.” It is possible that Evernote and I disagree on the definition of Everything.

As PinkElephant noted, a higher tier is probably the answer and I could live with that. At the same time, I think I pay roughly the same to iCloud for 1 TB of storage and other services. I know that storage is not free yet the cost of storage has been steadily decreasing for decades now with no end in sight. 30 years ago it was expensive to store all of your books on disk. 20 years ago it was expensive to store all of your music on disk. 10 years ago it was expensive to store all of your movies on disk. There is no way that my 120 GB or so of notes represents anything more than a rounding error in any server storage calculation. Next year my notes will cost even less to store.

Why would I pay for Evernote Premium when there are so many other competitors that do everything better than Evernote. 

Microsoft Cloud - $7 a month, cloud storage, note taking in One Note, premium productivity suite

Google Drive - Productivity suite, Notetaking, cloud storage 

Apple Notes - Now does almost everything Evernote does, productivity suite

of course there are many more. Bottom line is Evernote is not matching their offering with what has now become industry standard. I want Evernote to be able to store everything. Why would I pay for storage in OneDrive for example AND for Evernote Premium when I can do everything I want in just OneDrive. Evernote has to evolve beyond just note taking to a productivity solution. And this note size thing bothers me because it shows an unwillingness from Evernote to adapt and provide a feature We’ve been asking for for years.

for now I will continue to pay for Evernote Premium untilI get so frustrated I move to a competitor completely. Just make the note limit 500mb minimum please

• Like 1

Hi

I`m a Evernote Premium User since more than 10 years. 
The world changed a lot (especially in the tech sector), but Evernote is still offering 200 MBits and ignoring all the offerings for even free cloud storage (I'm not asking for free and willing to pay for Evernote).

I asked the Evernote service many times to change this. Always the same answer "thank you. We`ll pass this to our product team". Nothing ever changed so Evernote doesn't seem to care.

The limit per upload of max. 200 Mbit will be the reason I`ll have to use a competitor now.

I agree with you, the 200 MB limit is too low nowadays. Sometime I have to create zip files of a repository (ongoing projects, backup, etc.) having multiple files and I have to manually delete some of the files because, otherwise, I am not able to add it to a note.

As a workaround: I create multiple notes and I link them each other (in every note I add a part of the split zip file).

• Level 5

It still is a note app and not a cloud storage. One needs to remember that EN only charges for upload, not for storing. They need to limit somehow the size of the data hoard on their servers - or change their business model to charging an (additional) fee for online storage, which I (and probably many more users) would regret.

For large projects, you can use any cloud service, place your project there, create a link and paste it into your EN note as a link. When you share the note, the link is shared, and depending on how you set it up, the recipient can open and contribute to the project.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It still is a note app and not a cloud storage. One needs to remember that EN only charges for upload, not for storing. They need to limit somehow the size of the data hoard on their servers - or change their business model to charging an (additional) fee for online storage, which I (and probably many more users) would regret.

For large projects, you can use any cloud service, place your project there, create a link and paste it into your EN note as a link. When you share the note, the link is shared, and depending on how you set it up, the recipient can open and contribute to the project.

I think we agree that some boundaries should exist around what and how much is stored in Evernote. We probably disagree on where those boundaries should be.

• Level 5*
On 4/27/2021 at 5:34 AM, Piernicola - Italy said:

As a workaround: I create multiple notes and I link them each other (in every note I add a part of the split zip file).

We may not agree on the definition of "note"  

I would leave your zip file outside of Evernote; and include a file link in a note

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Probably yes. It may depend on the use case as well.

Even with storing (for me) large notes with a load of attachments, I hardly ever hit the 200MB.

And then it is a good reminder that this note is probably too large anyhow, and I should think about better organizing my data collection. If find it much easier to work with my content using the EN tools when it is split in several smaller notes, than having it all in one.

Another limiting feature of Evernote: max attachment size 200mb and max note size 200MB. If Evernote is providing ability to attach files, videos etc. with up-to 10 GB/month, then with this annoying limitation, in reality Evernote doesn't really want the users to utilize the full monthly limit.

So, Evernote doesn't want to support hierarchical note organization and doesn't want to increase the note size limit - I know couple of esteemed users will now come back asking for my use case and try justifying all the limitations ad-nauseum when rest of the note taking apps have way above limits and there are several hundreds of people with different use cases. Note taking uses cases shouldn't be assessed by couple of users who seem to have hijacked this forum into questioning every other user.

Hopefully, Evernote focuses on better user experience - it was founded in 2000, this is 2022  - It's like saying your phone storage capacity will be same as it was in 2000 store your other stuff somewhere else! Really !

• Level 5

Don’t mix up upload and storage.

Personally I rather stick with as it is, and don’t have to pay for storage volume.

EN is not meant to be a video or photo  storage app - there are other services for such purpose.

what is then 10 GB for, and how do think I can utilize 10 GB upload limit? Do not respond, just for the sake of it.  Nimbus has file size limit is 1 GB, Notion has virtually no file size limit. Before responding ,  acquaint yourself with the product space @PinkElephant

• Level 5

Then go ahead, there are obviously options if you think you need them. 

If I look at it here, the thread is nearly 4 years old and has attracted 32 supporters. Does not seem to be a pressing issue for most of us.

And because there is nothing as a free lunch, I prefer the current package that does everything I want from this app. No need to accommodate massive storage capacities for my use cases.

@PinkElephant I think you are an EN employee or certainly there is a conflict of interest. You are one of those users who plenty of the time in the world to tell all others "I do this it this way ...."I think this is the correct way and your use case is not". You seem be to castigating and mocking almost every other user who voices an opinion that EN needs a feature uplift.

Rather than addressing the problem and responding to evidence, you just poke around without adding any value with a nuanced discussion.

I didn't ask for for your opinion whether I should switch or not. I am already using Notion was well, so your response like the previous one is useless and doesn't help me. You can just sit and wonder why I want to use both EN and Notion.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, yugal_k said:

So, Evernote doesn't want to support hierarchical note organization

Evernote's primary organization tool is the Tags feature
Tags have full hierarchical support via a parent-child structure

I can implement hierarchical note organization using the note titles   
For example Note A, Note A - 1, Note A - 2

• Level 5

@yugal_k Personally I don’t need an interest (and no conflict of …) to have an opinion.

But that may be hard to take, for some at least.

If I take a look at your list of postings here, I only see what is bad, what must be changed and that EN sucks. If I counted correctly zero postings to help anybody else (fellow users) to improve and do better.

Yes, very obviously we are posting in the forum out of very diverging interest. No problem from my side, but who goes to the kitchen must be prepared to take some heat.

@PinkElephant

If I take a look at your list of postings here, I only see what is bad, what must be changed and that EN sucks. If I counted correctly zero postings to help anybody else (fellow users) to improve and do better.

There are just two things that I am unhappy with, rest really works great and that's why I am still using it and hence your conclusions(that EN sucks) is just immature. If all the 225 million  odd EN users start eulogizing Evernote on their forums, it will crash.  As for my involvement, this is not AI/ML that people are seeking help out here. It's just a simple note taking tool. I use a lot of other software products(more than 30-40 odd), so you are unnecessarily trying to find fault with me one way or other for not being "involved'' . I did mention about few users hijacking the forum and serving sermons and it turned out as expected.

but who goes to the kitchen must be prepared to take some heat.

unwanted, out of context, and unrelated euphemism just to say something that doesn't make sense like previous posts. Anyways, my last post on this thread, feel free to continue with your similes and finding faults but for my future posts( which are any ways too few, 10 odd in 4 years,  three to four posts wasted in responding you), I would appreciate if you don't respond to my posts. I would rather have a post unanswered and unattended rather than hear your chaff.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, yugal_k said:

a nuanced discussion.

No horse in this race but I am looking for the nuance in a thread re increasing a note size limit above 200 MB.  Just strikes me as ironic for some strange reason.  And yes, this post adds zero value to this thread.  

Its already 2021. 

Where smartphone has an average of 60 to 90MP camera and here we are with an version 10 evernote with a pathetic 200mb limit attachment.

SD card capacity standard are rising every year when is the last time you bought a phone with internal 16gb storage? As technology keep improving file size also gets higher. 

Damn... We already have RTX today. Creating PSD for web design and other graphic works even after compressing is under 300mb.

Even nimbus note has 1gb limit attachment per note.. And we are stuck on this 200mb limit in evernote. 

The fact that who ever in charge with the decision to increase attachment limitation size is unable to see the need of it (after 12yrs).  Feels like that person is a boomer who have been left behind by time.   

----

Why do people want higher attachment limitation.. 

For web developer who want a place to save the backup of his clients (average) website. (zip) {done this before, but no longer today} 

For web designer to save his backup final version PSD file of his client's website. {done this before, but no longer today} 

For a medium business to save his inventory system backup in monthly basis (zip) 

For a photographer to save a backup of his clients wedding photos. (zip) 

-------

ill say, increase the limit to 700mb or 1gb.  And retain the current monthly upload limit. 

Let us have the democratic right to use our own way of budgeting our monthly upload.    At the very least it will be us who'll feel the inconvenience. 

• Level 5

How much more are you willing to pay ?

You can very easily avoid the upload limit by using a cloud storage build for large files, and embed a link to the file into the note.

I am not willing to pay more just to get a universal giga (Terra) cloud storage instead of a note taking app with integrated cloud syncing.

Even with pdf files comprising several hundred pages with full OCR I rarely hit the 100 MB note size.

If you often save files of the size you quantify, you will rapidly go above a total of TB of stored data. A cloud storage without all the EN functionality of that size will cost more than the Premium subscription of today.

So you say more upload limit but you want cheap cloud space. EN does not make us pay for the size of storage today, they limit the upload. Again, to change this would AFAIK not come for free.

Just from a boomer who knows his math …

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

How much more are you willing to pay ?

This issue is near and dear to my heart. Because of this and other limitations, as an experiment, I am trying to move my entire database to Apple Notes. It is not going very well. I would be willing to pay more, perhaps even double, to overcome this and other limits.

You can very easily avoid the upload limit by using a cloud storage build for large files, and embed a link to the file into the note.

I have heard this approach before. I want my notes to be a fully contained archive without external dependencies. Those items on which the note depends may or many not exist when I want to read the note. Evernote’s concept is perfect for storing this type of data.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I am not willing to pay more just to get a universal giga (Terra) cloud storage instead of a note taking app with integrated cloud syncing

Nobody asking for larger storage here. Stop making out of context comment. You are giving me that typical facebook commenter who only read headlines vibes. 

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Even with pdf files comprising several hundred pages with full OCR I rarely hit the 100 MB note size

Good for you. I can tell you are a boomer. Base from that. 

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you often save files of the size you quantify, you will rapidly go above a total of TB of stored data. A cloud storage without all the EN functionality of that size will cost more than the Premium subscription of today

Excuse me? 10gb limit is large enough or 30days. You have no idea how many client a typical freelance web designer or  graphic designer has for 30days..   

And a medium business who wanted to save a backup of his inventory data.. In a monthly or weekly basis? In a zip file.. (do the math, that's like 4weeks or 4 files with large attachment. How do think that will easily go 1tb.. Pft) 

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just from a boomer who knows his math

No you dont. 

ill repeat my last words.. Or maybe ill quote it below. 

3 hours ago, keruchan said:

Let us have the democratic right to use our own way of budgeting our monthly upload.    At the very least it will be us who'll feel the inconvenience

Again no body is asking for higher storage. 

We only wanted the attachment limit to increase base from current tech standard.

And don't you even talk about syncing problem.. We are already in 5G era.. Boomer

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you see Boomer as a synonym to old and outdated, feel free. Just remember that being young(er) is nothing you have earned, or deserve any applause for your status. Believe me, this status will change …

EN does not charge for storage (most cloud services do), they limit the upload instead. If the upload size is enlarged, so will the data hoard build from it. That is the simple math you are missing.

You got your workaround for your wish of saving very large files from me. And that is it, we agree to disagree.

Just as a reminder: Disagreement is fine, within forum rules. One of the rules is mutual respect. I think we all can work on this, from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

EN does not charge for storage (most cloud services do), they limit the upload instead. If the upload size is enlarged, so will the data hoard build from it. That is the simple math you are missing.

This is far better explanation. And or maybe.. Being in partnership with google  EN doesn't want to enter that area. .. If you know what I mean. 

If the latter is the case.. Increasing the limit will never ever happen here. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, keruchan said:

Being in partnership with google  EN doesn't want to enter that area. .. If you know what I mean. 

I would actually prefer that EN said, “Our magic is in the note app, not the storage” then allow me to choose whatever backend storage I prefer, e.g. iCloud. I would pay the same or even more for the software, despite having storage costs on top of the software costs.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is why I prefer to look on the here and now. I have 2TB of iCloud storage with family access, linking all our devices. So linking large files is a natural solution for me.

Google Drive is another option, since EN is closer with Google. I just dislike my files being read - even if it only serves „to know me better“.

• Level 5*

The power of EN for me is indexing and searching.  Sure it can be used for simple storage.  A gig zip note would just eat up space, complicate my backups, and have no search value.  Not a use case for me.  Don’t care if EN changes the limit as long as something else doesn’t get hosed in the process.  Meh  

Being an Office user OneDrive is the logical “free” cloud storage for me and family.  All backups and the like go there.  And most spreadsheets with links in notes. Which makes EN’s removal of external file links most annoying.  

• Like 1

In case it helps the next person, I spent a week experimenting with importing Evernote (EN) notes to Apple Notes (AN) then aborted that effort last night after talking to Apple support. AN has several serious flaws to keep in mind when considering a migration:

• AN will silently drop attachments and features it does not support
    • This is terrifying
  • AN will not let you know if / when it finishes synchronizing
    • I let one set of imports settle over the weekend but my five Notes instances (iCloud, personal MacBook Pro, work MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad) never agreed on note counts and content
    • This is also terrifying
  • AN is terribly sluggish when loaded
    • After loading 20 GB of the 160 GB database, AN was borderline unusable
  • AN logs (from Notes app and cloudd process) never did quiesce after days of synchronizing, continuing to report errors and warnings
    • This is also terrifying
  • AN has zero facility for redating notes
    • Occasionally I change the creation date of Notes in EN and this is a critical capability for me
  • AN has no meaningful way to export notes
    • This makes the migration to AN a one-way trip with no escape hatch

In the end, my fear of AN lack of integrity trumped my reasons for migrating to AN.

BIG REASONS TO MIGRATE AWAY FROM EN

• EN has note size limits that I regularly bump up against
    • This is still an issue but perhaps may change soon
  • I am reluctant to install EN on my work laptop because I do not want my personal information swept by a corporate backup or monitoring process
    • If EN had encryption at rest then this would not apply

SMALL REASONS TO MIGRATE AWAY FROM EN

• Premium EN costs $
    • Still true, but in the grand scheme of things this is just a few dollars per month
  • EN is getting sluggish-ish
    • But AN is worse at scale

For me, the big reasons to migrate are not big enough to overcome the fear of notes losing integrity in AN.

Cheers, Marty

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Thanks for posting your experience.

On the job try the web client. It is pretty close to the desktop clients, and it will not leave a footprint on the work laptop (depending on browser settings).

Traffic has TLS/SSL encryption. Just be aware that an IT admin can principally see everything you do on a managed computer.

This has limited my use of Evernote today when I wanted to put my videos in.  All are MP4 and just about all hover around the 500-600MB range.  This is disappointing because it means I now need another platform or somewhere else to save them, that will mean they are not with the Project files...  Is there any way we can apply to add say five videos a month larger then 200MB?  Happy to pay extra to have my filing all in the one place.

• Level 5

Save the video files to a drive or cloud storage, and put a link into the EN note. The note can contain additional information.

Through the link you can always call the video. If on drive, locally, if on the cloud from everywhere.

If the content allows for it, you could even place them on a YouTube account, and use the preview function build into EN.

• Like 1

Just came to the conclusion that after taking a mere 21 pictures in Evernote (snapped directly in the app) i run into the "Note size exceeded error". I need to be able to add at least 100 pictures in a single note. Right now i need to make multiple notes for a single customer visit. Please change this maximum format of the notes, 200 mb is nothing nowadays. Charge double, I don't care, but please leave the option for people who need it. Thank you for keeping this in mind.

17 hours ago, Vincent Verbaeys said:

Just came to the conclusion that after taking a mere 21 pictures in Evernote (snapped directly in the app) i run into the "Note size exceeded error". I need to be able to add at least 100 pictures in a single note. Right now i need to make multiple notes for a single customer visit. Please change this maximum format of the notes, 200 mb is nothing nowadays. Charge double, I don't care, but please leave the option for people who need it. Thank you for keeping this in mind.

Forget it they wont. (theres no hope for that)

But I can advice/suggest you to look at trello. Trello has unlimited attachment with 250mb limit each. (standard and premium) This is what im using for my small business. 

10mb max unlimited attachment for free user. 

But it will take you a lot of time setting up an automated board that works for you. 

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Don’t think Trello really compares. If you look at features, they are far apart. Which is no surprise, looking at the use cases.

He completely stated his use case.  Which I can relate to. 

More than 100 photos on a single note. Multiple notes for a single customer. 

One trello card can hold unlimited photos. A single card can hold unlimited comment (notes). And you can also link multiple cards. 

There is also a trello to evernote integration. So he can transition bit by bit. 

Not to mention trello has the custom field for easy filtration of customer profile. 

And there is the map view too. Where you can pin location of your customer/project.

The best feature is the automation. I love this part coz I printed different QR code for my employees to create card via 'email to trello' with automation to append card name with time variables. 

The only downside is the offline part. Evernote is better on that part. 

• Level 5

As you say, it all depends on the use case.

You can use a note / document app like EN to store pictures - preferably as part of a larger information content

You can use a project management app / Kanban app like Trello to store pictures - preferably for a project, or as an information board

Each has its ups and downs, depending on what you want to do. To really store pictures, be able to work on them, yes, show them in map view, there are plenty of photo apps, some free, some for a purchase, some on subscription. For pictures they just do the better job.

Personally I never had a problem with the note size limit regarding pictures - maybe because I don‘t dump hundreds of pictures into a note. I used to have an issue with video files, that are often larger than 200MB - but since EN added the embedded YT link, this has gone away: Make your private  YT channel, put your clips there, share the link into the note, view embedded.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:50 AM, PinkElephant said:

A few years ago, I decided that EN was far more than a note app:  I started using it like other folks might use OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc.   EN's search capabilities and ability to easily access its database across multiple platforms were two of the reasons. 

I am not wanting to create notes with links to externally stored files because, too many times, similar storage methodologies have left me high and dry with the links not working because the external files had been renamed or moved, access permissions were not maintained, etc. 

I would be willing to pay another $50 per year - maybe more - to remove the 200 mb attachment limit to make EN function like the cloud-based, file storage system I would like it to be.

And since it seems to matter to several people on this forum, I should disclose that I am a boomer.  🙂

• Level 5

You can send feedback through the clients to EN - maybe they consider the idea of a "data volume plan".

However we will get a lot of people again claiming in the forum that since they are with EN from the days of the Roman empire, they need to get it as well, for free of course ... so maybe I don't really like the idea 😇