Problem with clipping pdf

When trying to clip PDF web pages. This appears to have started after upgrading Windows 10 to V 1803. This is happening with both Firefox and Edge. Reloading the page accomplishes nothing.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, Generito said:

When trying to clip PDF web pages. This appears to have started after upgrading Windows 10 to V 1803. This is happening with both Firefox and Edge. Reloading the page accomplishes nothing.

The issue, which is NOT stated correctly, is the after upgrading to Windows 10(64 bit) version 1803, I receive a message stating "This page needs to be reloaded before you can clip it. Reload the page and try again". I am unable to clip ANY PDF pages since this started.

webclipper.JPG

I have a similar problem. I am running Firefox on Windows 7. When I try to clip a PDF web page, evernote suggests reloading endlessly.
The following log message is output at every attempt, but I'm not sure if it is relevant.

/n23:39:23 GMT+0900 (WARN) moz-extension://f71ced89-6b0e-478b-bae8-97d13d3419e7/background.html: Unable to toggle clipper, tab loaded, but main coordinator is not
B/<@moz-extension://f71ced89-6b0e-478b-bae8-97d13d3419e7/js/main/Extension.js:3:11423

Firefox 60.0.1 (64-bit). Evernote Web Clipper 6.13.2.

• Like 1

I am running the same Firefox version as you. My problem started with the previous version of Firefox,  I guess 60.0.0 and I was hoping the new version would help. Well That's interesting because I'm running Windows 10(64 bit) and it started when I upgraded to V 1803, I think... Did yours start with the new Firefox update?

It's about time they recognize it. I've been looking for a solution for weeks. Glad to see others taking the time to bring it to their attention. Thanks to all!

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem on Mac OS Sierra with Firefox 60.0.2 and Evernote Webclipper 6.13.2. There's a second hread on the same issue out there.

My current workaround: I have Firefox show the .pdf, then use the "save document" function to actually chose "open document with" and select Evernote from the list of programs.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also have the same problem using the latest versions of firefox (63.0.3) and Evernote Web Clipper (6.13.2) and I am hugely disappointed (just upgraded to premium version, because I need to be able to deal with many pdf files). Can't believe, this problem seems to exist for more than half a year now.

• 2 months later...

Just pitching in my voice that I would also like to be able to use the Evernote extension for PDFs on Firefox. The Firefox extension website says the Evernote Clipper hasn't been updated since October 2017 while the Chrome extension was just updated in Janurary 2019 which gives me a feeling the developers are abandoning Firefox. Disappointing to see.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, ianspencer said:

Looks like the price of Evernote keeps going up...

16 minutes ago, gregcbrown said:

I believe you are correct. They are adding new features, charging more ...

The price is changing?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the price is due to go up again on based on past history. I guess you have to do that with customers leaving for free options when they cant get long standing bugs fixed or often acknowledged. Also more and more features being pushed to premium to try and force basic users to upgrade. This is the pattern. Evernote used to be a nice company in the early days and listened to their customers. Their pushing new features while not fixing bugs to try and claw back all those so annoyed that they have migrated away. Since the founding CEO left they company has declined.

More promises from new leadership we will likely not see. The culture at Evernote must suck, I wish him luck.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/01/evernotes-new-ceo-says-the-app-sucks-but-he-can-fix-it/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Completely agree. Evernote you guys are basically becoming the General Motors of this space. whatever your intentions, you give off the impression that you are complacent and you truly do not give a ***** about your users. Basic problems -- like the web clipper won't work on pdfs on firefox -- stay around for YEARS. What exactly are you doing? I do not remember a SINGLE new feature that I cared about in the last several years. I used to be a fan of your company. But basically you are headed towards your "Toyota vs. GM moment" where a new incumbent is going to come along. At that point you are going to ask us, your long time users for loyalty, and we are going to respond -- "you were never loyal to us."

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I don't use Firefox much, but I did just test, and indeed Evernote can't clip a PDF in Firefox that is handled perfectly in Opera. Following this link that someone posted last year: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1225125, I learn that this is something that Firefox did, not Evernote, and that Evernote is not the only service affected. Given that it's a "security" change to the way Firefox works, I'm not sure that here on the user end we can know whether it's even possible for a 3rd-party service (Evernote) to get around it. It might be worth hollering at Mozilla to see if they would do anything about it, since they're the ones that broke it.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:29 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't use Firefox much, but I did just test, and indeed Evernote can't clip a PDF in Firefox that is handled perfectly in Opera. Following this link that someone posted last year: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1225125, I learn that this is something that Firefox did, not Evernote, and that Evernote is not the only service affected. Given that it's a "security" change to the way Firefox works, I'm not sure that here on the user end we can know whether it's even possible for a 3rd-party service (Evernote) to get around it. It might be worth hollering at Mozilla to see if they would do anything about it, since they're the ones that broke it.

This makes sense, but it is possible for software to download a file from a web URL, and this is all the Evernote extension really needs to do. It could just look at the URL of the active page, and if the URL ends in .pdf, it should be able to clip (download) that file. I've written quick and easy programs that do this in Python, I imagine it's not much harder in Javascript (language of browser extensions). Would be nice for an Evernote staff member to at least let us know why they haven't addressed this yet

• Level 5
18 hours ago, ketchup6 said:

This makes sense, but it is possible for software to download a file from a web URL, and this is all the Evernote extension really needs to do. It could just look at the URL of the active page, and if the URL ends in .pdf, it should be able to clip (download) that file. I've written quick and easy programs that do this in Python, I imagine it's not much harder in Javascript (language of browser extensions). Would be nice for an Evernote staff member to at least let us know why they haven't addressed this yet

Software can easily do this, if the hosting program (Firefox in this case) allows it to. If that program decides to lock the door, then it may be more difficult. I gather that something like that is what has happened.

• 3 weeks later...

+1
Just moved from Chrome to Firefox and found this problem, which has been around for more than a YEAR! Totally agree that the company has lost its energy in bringing out meaningful updates, while competitors like Notion are showing vibrant improvements. I keep Evernote only has my archive/library now, but it stills manages to fail at clipping PDF files...

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 12:08 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

As mentioned a few posts earlier, Firefox broke it as a security measure:

WOW....same issue.....got a new laptop, end of the year, thinking of my transformations, which include many levels, one of which was moving away from Google chrome to Firefox (which is touting lately of being worthy of my attention) - yet I can't clip a PDF into Evernote. Help me understand why (is it really security??!!?)

• Level 5
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably this is the wrong forum for this question - the question should be posted in a Firefox forum.

If you want to avoid Chrome as it is a Google product, try Safari, which is as well available for Windows.

Or Opera, which is not well known in the U.S. but I think used fairly widely in Europe. Clipping PDFs in Evernote does work there.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 8:29 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

... Following this link that someone posted last year: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1225125, I learn that this is something that Firefox did, not Evernote, and that Evernote is not the only service affected ...

Even if it is something that Firefox developers did, ...

1. Why are the Evernote developers not commenting on this? 🤔
  2. Why ware they letting so many users get frustrated with a decent product? 😠
  3. Are they discussing this with the Firefox team? 😒
  4. At the very least, put up an FAQ pointing to your mozilla.org link 😞

• Like 1