Stack, sub-directory or sub-group

More than one directory or group of notes can form a Stack, which is very useful. Now if I try to make a sub-directory or sub-group into a directory or group in the Stack, no success. This is extremely annoying to any user like me.

Second, if I made a directory or group (say "2017") in a Stack and want to use the same name to make another directory or group in another Stack, no success. This is not helping at all.

Please suggest.

19-05-2018 11-45-13.jpg

• Level 5*

Hi.  The terms are 'Note', 'Notebook' and 'Stack',  and hierarchical filing - sub-notebooks with one or more extra levels - has been discussed thoroughly over several years in other threads here.  Evernote has only two levels - Stacks can contain one or more Notebooks,  and Notebooks contain only Notes.  It makes sense that names should be unique - if Evernote has to file a note in the '2017' notebook,  how does it know which notebook applies?  You may not be aware also that the app currently has a maximum of 250 notebooks per account,  and a detailed structure would likely use up that allocation fairly quickly.

The work-around of choice is to use tags,  of which you can currently have 100,000,  and which can be set up in any number of levels of parent/child layers.  Tags also have unique names,  so it's better to combine information in some cases as in "Work_2017"  and "Personal_2017".

There's a longer discussion here -

Evernote has talked about introducing a new web client 'soon' which will include Spaces - a way to group notes and notebooks together and aid collaboration.  It's currently a Business feature,  and there's more information here - https://evernote.com/business/spaces 

• Level 5*
On 5/18/2018 at 11:43 PM, aruntalukdar said:

This is extremely annoying to any user like me.   ....  This is not helping at all.     Please suggest.

Are you sure you want to use Evernote as a storage tool?
I'd suggest you might be happier with a different product that supports folder/subfolder filing.
You can also simply use your OS filing system.

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 10:35 PM, DTLow said:

Are you sure you want to use Evernote as a storage tool?
I'd suggest you might be happier with a different product that supports folder/subfolder filing.
You can also simply use your OS filing system.

Thank you very much for your kind response on the issue I had. To inform you that I am not using Evernote as a storage tool, but yes for documents I do. And, I will keep doing this.

Yes, why not. I do use Microsoft OneNote as well and that allows me almost everything Evernote does plus folder/subfolder filing. I find Evernote is better (user-friendly) to use as compare to OneDrive but not feature wise.

And, I have been using Dropbox, OneDrive and 100GB of Google Drive to store data. So primarily I do use different products according to the merit.

I know that I can use the OS filing system, but you may agree that Evernote or OneDrive has got more, additional functions to make things easier and keep in the cloud.

This was just a specific request that can implement (I am sure sometimes it will be, as many of your customers will ask for that) in Evernote and I am ok if that, not been get accepted. But, I know the tools I use.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, aruntalukdar said:

This was just a specific request that can implement (I am sure sometimes it will be, as many of your customers will ask for that) in Evernote and I am ok if that, not been get accepted. But, I know the tools I use.

This request is a very old (~10 years), fairly popular request. You can see the largest related topic here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96180-nesting-multiple-notebooks-creating-sub-notebooks/; it includes feedback from Evernote staff, at least early on in the discussion (@engberg, the Evernote CTO at the time). The suggestion was -- and mainly remains -- to use tags to do hierarchical organization.  It's possible that Evernote will change its mind and offer hierarchical notebooks, or something like that, but it hasn't happened yet.

So for the time being, the rules:

• Notes store content of almost any kind. Notes reside in exactly one Notebook at a time. Notes can contain 0 or more tags.
  • Notebook contain only notes. Notebooks have unique names across an account. Notebooks may belong to 0 or 1 Stack. The implication is that a notebook name my not be used in different stacks.
  • Stacks contain only notebooks, and cannot be empty. Stacks have unique names across an account.
  • Tags are used to label notes. Tags can be organized hierarchically. Tag names are unique across an account; the implication is that a tag name cannot appear in multiple subtrees of the tag hierarchy.

I agree with the comments that hierarchical organization through the use of “sub-stacks” or some new feature would greatly improve user experience.  If it’s a topic that’s been revisited for 10 years, chances are that Evernote has some ticked off customers that it might want to listen to

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, BRC Colin said:

I agree with the comments that hierarchical organization through the use of “sub-stacks” or some new feature would greatly improve user experience.  If it’s a topic that’s been revisited for 10 years, chances are that Evernote has some ticked off customers that it might want to listen to

I'd say the ticked-offness is guaranteed - there have been some "lively" exchanges of views on this subject.  Evernote seems to be struggling along with the 220M users it already has on the its flat database format for the moment though...

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, BRC Colin said:

or some new feature would greatly improve user experience.

How about something old.  Check out the Tag feature

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, BRC Colin said:

Sure they listen; there might even be some sympathy on the part of individual Evernote employees. But listening is not the same thing as acting; so far, they've chosen to retain a relatively flat architecture, augmented with a hierarchical tagging system. Seems to work for a lot of people. Whatever; this has been hashed and rehashed in plenty of detail and varying degrees of heat, frustration, despair, etc. in the linked topic. Feel free to add your vote there.

Archived