Need to select a note twice before I can type - why?

Hi,

I'm bemused by this and could do with any light you can shine on this.

So I want to add text to an existing note, so I select the note. (i can double click it to open in a new window, or just select it so that it opens in the viewing pane)

I then click into the note where I want to insert text, and I can see the cursor flashing there.

I start typing and no input appears on the screen, in fact the cursor disappears.  

I then re-select the window, see the prompt again and when I start typing the text appears.

This happens reliably. 

I tried double clicking in the note and pausing before typing but the only way I've found to proceed at present is to start tying and then re-select the note.

I may have observed something similar when trying to copy and paste (ie I have to select and copy twice before I can paste) but I'm not sure of this.

Windows6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829)

As you can imagine this is a little frustrating. 

Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for the report. We're seeing this too, and working on a fix. Thanks!

Yay!  This is my biggest issue with the client.  When I'm editing a lot of notes via keyboard, I usually jump to the Note Title and tab down.  I have to do that twice to edit each note.

I see the same problem.  When you're in a hurry to paste to a note, it slows you way down when you have to 'double click' and even then you wonder if it'll work correctly.  Really hope you can fix this quick.  Thanks!

• Ex Employees

We feel your pain! We're still working on it.

Until this is fixed, try using our CTRL+Q Quick Search feature. This issue should not occur when using the Quick Search option. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Austin G said:

We feel your pain! We're still working on it.

Until this is fixed, try using our CTRL+Q Quick Search feature. This issue should not occur when using the Quick Search option. 

Just tried it with 6.13 beta 2, still fails for text only searches. sorry to say.

I'm glad I searched for this thread. I wasn't sure if this was a known issue or a problem affecting only me, and I have not found Evernote support to be a source for reliable answers.

I've also noticed a couple of related issues: sometimes when I begin typing in the body of a note I just opened, the cursor jumps back to the note title while I'm typing and some of what I type ends up in the title field where it doesn't belong.

I've also had an issue where typing in the search field when the Windows client begins to auto-sync causes the cursor to disappear while I'm typing, and later I discover a new note was created with some of the search term(s) I was typing in the title field.

I realize this is a user forum so I'm venting more than anything else, but I'm really astonished that this is an issue. Evernote has always been buggy but when you can't reliably input something without the cursor jumping all over the place, the software becomes pretty much unusable. 

This is a huge productivity issue for me.  Select and ^C, which doesn't end up selecting, have to repeat to get it (interrupting what should be a smooth, well-practiced operation). I do this MANY times each day. I also find that the cursor jumps around randomly, and even when I specifically click somewhere it often is not enough to "convince" the cursor to stay there when I start typing.  Sometimes I find text somewhere else in a note, days later, that was entered in the wrong place in a note due to this.  I find myself getting into habits that, if/when this is ever fixed, will slow me down, just because I can't trust the software.

I love many things about Evernote, but the the text editor is definitely not one of those things.  It's one of the worst ones I've used.  In addition to this issue, I find that the formatting (bullets, numbering comes to mind, but all other aspects also) does not work predictably, and gets into "modes" that make it impossible to get the note to show up like I want it.  I end up having to recreate a note, from scratch, by using Word or some other external editor to reformat.  Evernote needs to completely rewrite this editor from the ground up, with some good UI advice.  EVERYTHING in Evernote depends on the text editor working correctly, predictably and easily.  It's time to fix this.

I suspect we're shouting into the void. Evernote has had severe quality problems for the last year or two (like the botched rollout of iOS v8.x), and people have been complaining to them about it. A lot. It's not like they haven't had ample opportunity to gather user feedback and act on it; for whatever reason, our complaints about egregious quality issues aren't resulting in improvements. My guess is there are only two choices at this point: put up with it or leave. Complaining is a waste of time.

Thank you all for posting this. I want to concur with what is being said above. I am having all the problems above and more.

Evernote's is now my most abhorred app when I need to take down information. This should not be the case with a note taking app. Manipulating text in a program in the year 2018 should not be this hard. I believe that Evernote has added so many "Cool" features (does anyone even use spaces?) that their current way of processing data is choking the user interface. What should be happening behind scenes programatically is happening on the UI thread. This has been a consistent issue and now with all the "new" things Evernote does, it's usability has plummeted for the end user. Doing anything with Evernote now, other than searching for data is actually choking productivity.

I have to use word or notepad to type my notes and then copy and paste what I typed into Evernote because typing in Evernote is impossible. But then it won't paste where I told it to!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, drrrumzzz said:

It sounds incredible that this cursing - pardon - cursor issue, reported during month in several threads by dozens of users, remains unsolved,  despite of several  updates distributed since (current: 6.11.2.7027).

I've really been appreciating Evernote for years, but now slolwy begin to doubt of the long-term reliability of this product and thus seriously begin to think of alternatives. 

Posting once may have been good enough.....

• 1 month later...

Thought I was going nuts so did a quick search and got this this thread. 

This bug sound very minor but it's a huge P.I.T.A. when working with Evernote.

I always forget and start typing without looking. Half a sentence in I realize I'm typing into the void.

Click, double check, type it out again.

Please keep us posted on when this bug is fixed.

• Level 5*
On 7/15/2018 at 7:34 PM, TubaTuba said:

Please keep us posted on when this bug is fixed.

In other threads this is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming release, if not indeed the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is Ditto to the double click to type...and as was aptly said above it is a huge PITA.  This is my first post to forums and am very surprised that EN hasn't addressed a problem that was acknowleged in May and it is close top 4 months later.   Did some company buy EN to tank it?

This problem, so far as I can see, has been fixed in version 6.14.1.7551 (307551) Prerelease.  You can get it if you check "Enable beta features and updates" in the General section of the Tools --> Options menu.

I'm using this version on my desktop and my work laptop, and I'm no longer experience this issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, TubaTuba said:

What is a GA and can anyone else confirm this is fixed?

General Availability which means a public release, not a Beta.  Only need to click in the note once to type with version 6.15.  Try it.

Archived