New Note in a new window not coming to foreground when Chrome is running

I was wondering if someone else had this frustrating issue and how you dealt with it.

When I use the global shortcut key to open a new note in a new window, the new note is created as expected.  But it not coming to foreground anymore, unfortunately.  Instead, Evernote opens the new window and keeps it in the background.  After spending months with Evernote support and getting no effective help (paid customer), I have been troubleshooting on my own in parallel.

I finally figured out that the issue occurs only when Chrome is running.  As soon as I close chrome, the new note does come into the foreground.

All other global shortcut keys work as expected while Chrome is running.  Even the shortcut key for the new note in a new window is working.  So there is no keyboard shortcut conflict with chrome.  It is just that it is not bringing the new note to the foreground.

I also demoted my Evernote version all the way to 6.7.5 upon support's suggestion.  But that didn't help either.

Can someone advice or help please?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kkrathi said:

When I use the global shortcut key to open a new note in a new window, the new note is created as expected.  But it not coming to foreground anymore, unfortunately.  Instead, Evernote opens the new window and keeps it in the background.  After spending months with Evernote support and getting no effective help (paid customer), I have been troubleshooting on my own in parallel.

I don't see this happening on my machine. Win 10, Chrome 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit), Evernote 6.13.1.7192 beta.

I have Chrome open in the foreground, Evernote buried back behind something else on a different screen, hit Ctrl+Alt+N, and the new Evernote Note window pops up.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

I don't see this happening on my machine. Win 10, Chrome 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit), Evernote 6.13.1.7192 beta.

I have Chrome open in the foreground, Evernote buried back behind something else on a different screen, hit Ctrl+Alt+N, and the new Evernote Note window pops up.

I am sure it doesn't happen to everyone.  It happens to me.  The Evernote support shadowed my session and verified this is an issue.  Because I have not gotten any effective help from them, I was just posting here.  If someone else experienced the same issue and/or if they did anything that helped?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, kkrathi said:

I am sure it doesn't happen to everyone.  It happens to me.  The Evernote support shadowed my session and verified this is an issue.  Because I have not gotten any effective help from them, I was just posting here.  If someone else experienced the same issue and/or if they did anything that helped?

I just responded on your other thread,  but it occurred to me that maybe using an ENEX template note would help you out.  Create and sync a new note,  with some minor holding text (you can't save a blank note,  but even just a full stop will 'pin' it sufficiently),  then Export that note to an ENEX file saved on your desktop.  Doubleclick the file,  and you'll create a new note. 

Ironically I just tried that,  and the new note opens in the app,  rather than popping out a new window...  but your system seems to behave differently,  so maybe that could help!

Incidentally that exported note can include any text,  style or layout that you might need for your notes,  and you could have several different versions for various uses.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I just responded on your other thread,  but it occurred to me that maybe using an ENEX template note would help you out.  Create and sync a new note,  with some minor holding text (you can't save a blank note,  but even just a full stop will 'pin' it sufficiently),  then Export that note to an ENEX file saved on your desktop.  Doubleclick the file,  and you'll create a new note. 

Ironically I just tried that,  and the new note opens in the app,  rather than popping out a new window...  but your system seems to behave differently,  so maybe that could help!

Incidentally that exported note can include any text,  style or layout that you might need for your notes,  and you could have several different versions for various uses.

Thank you for your effort.  Not sure how that addresses my problem.  But I went ahead and did your steps.  Assuming I did them right (never done this before), it just imported a new note when double-clicking the .enex file within the app itself.  I didn't understand how does that address my problem.  But I went ahead and tested my issue again.  Still, the same issue remains.  New notes are created and remain in the background.  Even the new notes created from .enex file are created within the app and remain in the background.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, kkrathi said:

I am sure it doesn't happen to everyone.  It happens to me.  The Evernote support shadowed my session and verified this is an issue.

I didn't know either way, so I tried it, and noted that it's working fine in some cases. It's great that the Evernote tech saw it happening, but that's different from being able to reproduce it in-house (I don't know whether they can or cannot, and couldn't tell from your post), which can go a long way towards actually developing a fix for the issue. Hopefully they figure it out; I can understand it being annoying.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

I didn't know either way, so I tried it, and noted that it's working fine in some cases. It's great that the Evernote tech saw it happening, but that's different from being able to reproduce it in-house (I don't know whether they can or cannot, and couldn't tell from your post), which can go a long way towards actually developing a fix for the issue. Hopefully they figure it out; I can understand it being annoying.

This is from Support's email to me - "Wanted to follow up to confirm that I was able to reproduce both issues after testing further."

3 hours ago, jefito said:

I don't know whether they can or cannot

Don't know about others, but I've never been able to...

Because Windows does not like non-focused applications stealing focus from other apps, it's likely some weird Windows setting...

This happens to me on my home PC which has 6.13 Beta on it now. I did the CTRL + ALT + N and the icon flashes and the new note is not in the foreground.

Something I noticed while doing this experiment, although I have the "create new note" unchecked in the options, CTRL + ALT + N creates the new note in a separate window.

If I do CTRL + N, while I am in Evernote, new note starts within the app.

Archived