[VIDEO] Please help me do a simple drag in the tree

In the above video, all I want to do is to Create a notebook called GEO, and then drag "Geography & Population" into it.

What am I doing wrong?

This is the most difficult tree ever.... 

; (

In the first part of the video, I attempt a DRAG/DROP on top of the notebook.

In the second part of the video, I attempt a DRAG/DROP, and release in that black line (below the notebook)

But, both actions ***** up.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, islandboatman said:

In the above video, all I want to do is to Create a notebook called GEO, and then drag "Geography & Population" into it.

What am I doing wrong?

If you are trying to create subnotebooks, you cannot in Evernote (at least currently). You can create stacks of notebooks, to exactly one level deep. You cannot nest a notebook under another notebook.

See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314158-How-to-organize-notebooks-into-stacks for more information.

Generally speaking, the Evernote way to create arbitrarily deep hierarchies is to use tags rather than notebooks.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, islandboatman said:

So if the first level of the tree is called "The Notebook" then what is the second level of the tree called?

e.g. in the above video, what would be the proper name to call "Geography & Population"

Evernote does not offer a hierarchy for the Notebook element; there is no second level
The best you can do is to group Notebooks into Stacks; you can create a stack called Geo

You could look at the Tag element which offers an unlimited hierarchy; 2nd level, 3rd level, ...

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, islandboatman said:

Hmm thanks

So if the first level of the tree is called "The Notebook" then what is the second level of the tree called?

e.g. in the above video, what would be the proper name to call "Geography & Population"

There is no "first level of the tree" called "The Notebook". You have a collection of notebooks ("Notebooks" in the tree). You can create notebooks in that collection, which is what you did when you created "Geo". When you dragged the notebook "Geography & Population" from the stack "Stats" onto the notebook "Geo", then Evernote created a stack for them to reside in. The stack it created is named "Notebook Stack".

In Evernote:

• There are notes, which contain text and attachments. A note has a title, and may contain tags. A note belongs to exactly one notebook
  • Notebooks contain notes, but cannot contain other notebooks or stacks. A notebook has a title, and may contain zero or more notes.
  • Stacks contain notebooks, but cannot contain notes or stacks. They are a way of grouping notebooks. A stack has a title, and always contains one or more notebooks (a stack with no notebooks does not exist in Evernote)
  • Tags can be applied to notes only. You can apply multiple tags to a note, and a tag may apply to multiple notes. Tags can be organized in a tree structure (i.e. you can nest tags under other tags).

The implication of the above is that you cannot make a tree of notebooks in Evernote, and you cannot make a tree of stacks in Evernote. You can collect notebooks in stacks, but that's all. You can make a tree of tags.

ugh

there's no button to simply "Create an Empty Stack"...?

It's very counter-intuitive to create a stack by "Drag and drop one notebook on to another notebook. A new notebook stack containing both notebooks will be created automatically."

I"m a programmer, and I don't even understand what that sentence means.

>.<

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, islandboatman said:

>> "You can right click on a notebook and...create a new stack."

that's cool

Is this a command in the context menu...?  I don't see this command "Create A New Stack."

the screenshot is from my Mac1654550158_ScreenShot2018-05-14at09_15_09.png.a728acccf173034eb761bcfb44ff6450.png

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, islandboatman said:

As a feature request, here are my UI/UX recommendations:

You should post as separate requests in the feature requests forum

The dificulty with the independent Create Stack button is there is no actual Stack element.
It's a text field on a notebook record.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, islandboatman said:

t's very counter-intuitive to create a stack by "Drag and drop one notebook on to another notebook. A new notebook stack containing both notebooks will be created automatically."

I"m a programmer, and I don't even understand what that sentence means.

You should understand it very well. It's exactly what you did in your video, which I described to you above:

2 hours ago, jefito said:

When you dragged the notebook "Geography & Population" from the stack "Stats" onto the notebook "Geo", then Evernote created a stack for them to reside in. The stack it created is named "Notebook Stack".

I read your recommendations:

1 hour ago, islandboatman said:

As a feature request, here are my UI/UX recommendations:

https://clevergizmos.com/resources/temp/evernote/

What Evernote version are you running? I see notebook icons in left panel's Notebooks list. I clipped only the left-hand side for privacy, the the icons are clearly visible. They're visible using the light theme as well.

image.png.4df416c475734268fa888de48315cc76.png

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, islandboatman said:

Cool - Can you tell me how to turn those icons on?

Nope -- they're just on. Maybe it's a Win 10 vs. Win 7 thing...

3 hours ago, jefito said:

Nope -- they're just on. Maybe it's a Win 10 vs. Win 7 thing...

No, there's on 7 v 10 changes there. More than likely, you have shared notebooks and @islandboatman does not. (The icon for the default notebook should be there)

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, dconnet said:

No, there's on 7 v 10 changes there. More than likely, you have shared notebooks and @islandboatman does not. (The icon for the default notebook should be there)

Most likely you're right -- the notebooks at the top of my list are a mix of shared and default. Lower down (and buried in a couple of stacks), they're not shared, and have no icons. Thanks.

Archived