Create new notes without opening a new window?

willvroo

Idea

I have evernote downloaded on my pc. Whenever I add a new note to a notebook, it opens the note in a whole new window. I then have to type something into the note in the window and then close it to begin typing in the normal workspace again. Is there a way to change it so that when I open a new note it just opens up into the normal workplace? 

so this first image is what it normally looks like right? (ignore the text it's just some old adobe notes I used for the example)

2146730526_evernotehelp1.thumb.PNG.e9d11d33f31ab255de087406882cc738.PNG

However, when I open a new note it opens a window like this:

Capture.thumb.PNG.7da910ff5404c92ef7c930abc0f42188.PNG

Can I get the note to open straight to the normal workplace so it would just open like the following picture? 

462728152_evernotehelpfinal.PNG.5149153ea0a3523965d8691d0447938c.PNG

16 replies to this idea

Actually I just found the answer, I don't know if the post will be approved now that I've finally found a solution but in case it does and in case anyone else needs the answer go to Tools at the top, select Options, then click "Create a new note in a new window" I've highlighted it in the following picture:

2018021794_foundsolutionevernote.PNG.b74d9078729ccd91615abfb2fc6cf8e6.PNG

• Thanks 1

I've been searching the forum for an answer & have looked at my Evernote on the web & desktop. To the best of my knowledge "Tools" and "Options" has been removed with update. I too would like to know this answer, as I encounter it every day. Thx in advance. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Robb Gorringe said:

I've been searching the forum for an answer & have looked at my Evernote on the web & desktop. To the best of my knowledge "Tools" and "Options" has been removed with update. I too would like to know this answer, as I encounter it every day. Thx in advance. 

Which version of EN are you running?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Robb Gorringe said:

Yes, I'm on Mac. But I don't see tools or options on web version as well.

Yeah, more of a Windows user here, light Mac usage.  Not sure the function is available or not on the Mac.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Robb Gorringe said:

Thanks so much @CalS I'm sure a solution will come about soon. Happy Memorial Day too.

Just pulled out my Mac.  The current version of EN for Mac is 7.10.  There is a big plus sign in a green button in the left panel.  Click on that and you get a new note, not in its own window.  Other than that....

I am on mac and just figured out this issue. When I first open evernote its displaying all notes, when Ipress the green + sign it opens a new window.

I noticed i had it set In evernote general options to: by default place new notes into the following notebook "evernote"

If i change the top dropdown from "all notes" to "evernote" then when i press the green + it opens in the same window without creating a new window. 

Hope this helps someone :)

I'm using the Evernote App on a MAC, so I couldn't tell you if the solution i'm about to give will work, but I don't see why not. When you select a Notebook, look for the icon that looks like a grid. If you have it selected to Expanded Card View, every note will open up in its own window. If you change it to any other view, you'll get what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 2.45.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 2.44.13 PM.png

• Thanks 1
On 1/26/2020 at 2:49 PM, joesnikon said:

When you select a Notebook, look for the icon that looks like a grid. If you have it selected to Expanded Card View, every note will open up in its own window. If you change it to any other view, you'll get what you're looking for. Hope this helps

Joe, thank you so much for this workaround, it works great! I got used to the option on PC of having notes open up in a new window, and was missing it since I switched to the mac. This totally worked for me and is a great workaround!! 🤗