(Archived) Extra lines automatically added

seasick

Idea

Many of my text notes are protected with encryption. I've had an ongoing problem that each time I open my encrypted notes there gets added carriage returns between groups of text. I only noticed this morning that it happens every time I enter an encrypted note. This must be a bug.

For example.

Line One

Line Two

Line Three

Line Four

becomes

Line One

Line Two

Line Three

Line Four

Evernote keeps automatically adding more blank lines between my sets of text. My oft opened notes have huge gaps that I must keep deleting.

Please advise

13 replies to this idea

Any updates on a fix?

My work around which seems to be working well is to put some unencrypted text in the note between blocks of encrypted text.

So my passwords note has

"main passwords" in the clear then a block that is encrypted of those passwords then "includes personal data" in the clear then a block of encrypted stuff and so on.

For me the bug is only when you encrypt a complete note.

Not a fix for sure but a workaround

Ooglem,

Thanks for the workaround. I'll try it.

Engberg,

I just deleted hundreds of blank lines from a particular note. The size of the note dropped from 36k to 5k! The 5k, of course, includes the blank lines added after I deleted all the rest.

I am having the same problem AND it is rendering Evernote unusable. Decrypting takes forever and now frequently hangs the program so that it is unusable.

The blank lines seem to be breeding -- apparently multiplying every time the decryption is applied and the note saved. That is, if I delete the extra lines, they come back!

This is flat-out unacceptable. It makes encrypted notes a fiction.

Is there a way to see the "source code" for a note? I'm just curious to see what it all looks like behind the scenes, cause all the extra lines are so annoying!! I hate having to clean up linebreaks almost everytime I decrypt text in a note - and the bug was filed two months ago, according to engberg.

• Level 5*
Is there a way to see the "source code" for a note? I'm just curious to see what it all looks like behind the scenes, cause all the extra lines are so annoying!! I hate having to clean up linebreaks almost everytime I decrypt text in a note - and the bug was filed two months ago, according to engberg.

On the Windows client, we can export to Evernote format (.enex), which is an Evernote-specific XML document. I believe that the Mac client offers the same functionality. You can read more about it in the Evernote API Overview document linked from this page, in the section on Evernote Markup Language.

~Jeff

Archived