Select a word by double clicking it

JFrodsham

Idea

If you double a click a word in evernote, I expect it to get highlighted for selection.  Currently the behavior includes all the whitespace after a word in the selection.  This is very inconvenient. 

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Bit of a tossup there: different applications disagree as to what is right. For example, Visual Studio and NotePad++ do what you want. But MS Word, GMail (and indeed Chrome as a whole) do what Evernote does. I confess that sometimes one behavior is what I want, and other times the other is what I want...

Hm, on a Mac, Evernote, Chrome, Gmail, etc do not include the whitespace. I believe this behavior is actually defined by the OS and perhaps overridden in some cases on Windows.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JFrodsham said:

If you double a click a word in evernote, I expect it to get highlighted for selection.  Currently the behavior includes all the whitespace after a word in the selection.  This is very inconvenient. 

Someone's workaround for Windows in general.

Easiest way to do this is double click, but do not release the mouse button on the second click. Then drag up (or down) slightly while still holding the mouse button down. You now will only have the word selected without a space on the end.

1 minute ago, CalS said:

Someone's workaround for Windows in general.

Easiest way to do this is double click, but do not release the mouse button on the second click. Then drag up (or down) slightly while still holding the mouse button down. You now will only have the word selected without a space on the end.

I appreciate the help, but if you saw what i was doing you would see it was painful.

-J

• Level 5*

Gave it a try.  IAC, if it is a Windows thing it looks like finding the least painful path forward may be it. 

You can modify the action of the wheel button if you like.  Here is the macro which highlights the word without the space, one click with the wheel.  Assuming you don't use the wheel button for anything other than scrolling.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.f825ca24830614f664a03393990632dc.png

I just want to be clear, I am not annoyed by the behavior of windows highlighting the single space between my word and the next.  I am annoyed that it highlights as many spaces as there are till the next char.  

#define MY_DEFINE                                                                                                                    <somevalue>

I want to double click MY_DEFINE and just highlight that...  In this forum on Chrome, it also selects all the spaces to the '<' char.   VERY annoying.  As stated earlier Visual Studio treats this as expected.  I store notable code fragments in Evernote.

-J

PS I appreciate the effort to find solutions, but I hate using super custom things because I use so many different computers.  I don't even have a an MS mouse, so I don't have the above customization package.

Archived