Is v6.8 going to lose data from my library?

mlevin77

Idea

I've been using Evernote on my laptop for several years, updating as the updates come in. I'm running OS X 10.9.5.  Today I came across:

where it says that "there is a significant data loss bug that started in that version and was resolved in one of the 6.9 updates."   Does this mean that if I continue to use this version it might mess up my database??  How do I know that it hasn't already lost data, since I've been using this for a long time?   And apparently the new version won't work with 10.9 - does this mean I have to upgrade my OS to avoid risk of data loss? I can't upgrade for a number of reasons, is there no fix to 6.8?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

The master version of your data is stored on the Evernote server, and can be accessed with any web browser at www.evernote.com
This is not impacted by the bugs and issues we encounter in the client software on the various platforms.

I have sometimes encountered minor data loss either through a software bug, or my editing error.
This required recovery of the data from backups.  I have personal backups and Evernote has a Note History backup.

> The master version of your software is stored on the Evernote server, and can be accessed with any web browser.

do you mean the master version of the database?

> This is not impacted by the bugs and issues we encounter in the client software on the various platforms.

aha, so a client copy of Endnote cannot do anything to delete content from a note and then sync it up to the server, replacing a note on the master and thus losing data permanently?

> I have personal backups and Evernote has a Note History backup

I've exported all my notes to a local backup, but where is this Note History backup?

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, mlevin77 said:

I've exported all my notes to a local backup, but where is this Note History backup?

Note History is accessed using the Notes Information page (Mac/Win)

Access is a paid feature; you can subscribe for a single month.  Documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-access-and-use-note-history

>>aha, so a client copy of Endnote cannot do anything to delete content from a note and then sync it up to the server, replacing a note on the master and thus losing data permanently?

Its actually the opposite.  Data updates on the client side get sync'd to the servers and all our devices.

>>do you mean the master version of the database?

Yes; I edited my post

> its actually the opposite.  Data updates on the client side get sync'd to the servers and all our devices.

maybe I'm confused, but that's what I thought I said: data updates from client up to server and then back down to all devices, right? so, if a client deletes data from a note, this could indeed affect the whole database because the bad version of the note would get sync'd up to the server, right?

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, mlevin77 said:

> its actually the opposite.  Data updates on the client side get sync'd to the servers and all our devices.

maybe I'm confused, but that's what I thought I said: data updates from client up to server and then back down to all devices, right? so, if a client deletes data from a note, this could indeed affect the whole database because the bad version of the note would get sync'd up to the server, right?

Agreed

The purpose of the original post was; if you're unable to use the client software, use the web platform.

> if you're unable to use the client software, use the web platform.

understood, as disappointing as it is. My question is: if I continue to use this version, do I risk corrupting the database (since we've agreed that deleted content does in fact go up to the server)? And, is there any way to know whether this has already happened since I've been using this version?

Archived