Exporting Evernote Data to an Excel File

I use Evernote for business. On average, I receive 170 calls a month and each call sheet has Customer, date, details, product, and charges on it. I have been manually putting these into excel and it can take a lot of time to do so. I was hoping I could simply export the monthly notebook into excel and organize my sheets from within Excel using some formulas. Does anyone know of a solution or maybe another cross-platform product better for my business needs?

• Level 5*

I use an applescript on my Mac to export Evernote notes to a spreadsheet.

I can also mass copy note links (titles) and paste into a spreadsheet.

>>call sheet has Customer, date, details, product, and charges on it.

I'm guessing these are columns in a spreadsheet.

How is the data stored in Evernote?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, SilveysMetro said:

each call sheet has Customer, date, details, product, and charges on it. I have been manually putting these into excel and it can take a lot of time to do so

Have a look at Airtable - you could create a table for customers,  a table for products and charges,  and a table for calls,  then link the call table back to the others so you never have to type a customer name pr product details again...  It's a spreadsheet crossed with a relational database.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 12:35 PM, SilveysMetro said:

I use Evernote for business. On average, I receive 170 calls a month and each call sheet has Customer, date, details, product, and charges on it. I have been manually putting these into excel and it can take a lot of time to do so. I was hoping I could simply export the monthly notebook into excel and organize my sheets from within Excel using some formulas. Does anyone know of a solution or maybe another cross-platform product better for my business needs?

Just out of curiosity...it looks like having the Excel spreadsheet data is the goal here and it provides the most value with the formulas, sorting etc. So my question is, why start the data in Evernote first? I mean, if I was doing it, I would capture them in Excel and if it needs to be shared or for any other reason, then I would keep the Excel file in Evernote and update/modify that file.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

if I was doing it, I would capture them in Excel and if it needs to be shared or for any other reason, then I would keep the Excel file in Evernote and update/modify that file.

I actually store all my documents (Excel/Word/...) in Evernote.  Its easier having one filing location.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I actually store all my documents (Excel/Word/...) in Evernote.  Its easier having one filing location.

I agree. I keep some on a server or a cloud location depending on the size or if others are using it as well. 

I did get a little concerned and scared, when some of my files disappeared from Evernote however (due to latest updates). Like an Excel file would show an icon there and I couldn't open it. But "SAVE ATTACHMENTS" option worked in those cases luckily.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I keep some on a server or a cloud location depending on the size or if others are using it as well. 

Right; I should have included that.  If I can't store the document file in Evernote, I at least include a link.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I agree. I keep some on a server or a cloud location depending on the size or if others are using it as well.

Any Excel files using pivot tables are better served in cloud storage accessed in EN via a link to the local file, IMO.  Not always, but at times based upon how the attachments folder is managed by EN the Excel file will get corrupted relative to external resources (has to do with (1) added to the file name).  Fixable, but a PITA, so I moved all my pivot table containing spreadsheets to DropBox.  Side benefit, better recovery since DB maintains a version for every use.

• 3 months later...

This is my basic "fix" for getting Evernote data into Excel.  It ain't perfect but it works for simple tables such as a time sheet that I made, having details as date, time started, time stopped, details and total hours (note that Evernote doesn't perform calculations so once the raw data is converted, you will have to use autosum in Excel to tally up whatever you need to calculate.).  Here's my rundown: 

1. choose from top menu in Evernote, File/Export as Single HTML Web Page; 2. save the file to your preferred location; 3. Doubleclick on the HTML file you saved and copy the file location from address bar at the top of the HTML file that you opened;  4.  Now open excel; 4. choose Data from top menu; then on the left side of second from top menu, choose "From Web;"  5. When prompted,   paste the file location of the HTML page you saved; Choose Table when Excel offers you the option. Wallah!   

6.  A "preview" of the file will open.  I just choose "close preview and load" and THERE IT IS.  

7. You may need to do some basic formatting - colors, etc.  Also you will have to add in whatever formulas you need to calculate.  For me, it was as simple as using "autosum" since I only need to calculate the hours I spent.  

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...
Em 04/09/2018 at 00:51, michaelzapun disse:

This is my basic "fix" for getting Evernote data into Excel.  It ain't perfect but it works for simple tables such as a time sheet that I made, having details as date, time started, time stopped, details and total hours (note that Evernote doesn't perform calculations so once the raw data is converted, you will have to use autosum in Excel to tally up whatever you need to calculate.).  Here's my rundown: 

1. choose from top menu in Evernote, File/Export as Single HTML Web Page; 2. save the file to your preferred location; 3. Doubleclick on the HTML file you saved and copy the file location from address bar at the top of the HTML file that you opened;  4.  Now open excel; 4. choose Data from top menu; then on the left side of second from top menu, choose "From Web;"  5. When prompted,   paste the file location of the HTML page you saved; Choose Table when Excel offers you the option. Wallah!   

6.  A "preview" of the file will open.  I just choose "close preview and load" and THERE IT IS.  

7. You may need to do some basic formatting - colors, etc.  Also you will have to add in whatever formulas you need to calculate.  For me, it was as simple as using "autosum" since I only need to calculate the hours I spent.  

Hope this helps. 

Hey man, thank you very much for sharing this method. Helped a lot here! 

• 11 months later...

I have an easy method, if you just want to move data from one Text Note into Excel.

--Select the text

-- Copy to clipboard

-- Paste into Notepad (not Word -- Windows Notepad) & save it.

-- Copy the text again from Notepad (now that it's plain text)

-- Paste into Excel -- It correctly puts the data from each line into a separate row in Excel.

Whew. (Too bad Evernote doesn't make better choices available for export, like export to CSV.)

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Shosh said:

Whew. (Too bad Evernote doesn't make better choices available for export, like export to CSV.)

In the OP's question 2 years ago this was for business use,  entering 100's of contact and order details into a spreadsheet. 

These days it's a 'down off an Elephant' question - you don't enter details into Evernote first - you use any one of a dozen interfaces that will post your data to a spreadsheet AND and Evernote note.  To export any data to text you can just print the note as a .txt file. 

"Exporting as CSV" means providing a series of column headers and data contents separated by commas.  Evernote notes do not typically have headers or ordered data contents.

• 9 months later...

"Exporting as CSV" means providing a series of column headers and data contents separated by commas.  Evernote notes do not typically have headers or ordered data contents"

They do now ... but you still can't export all notes. If you option-click Notes you get options for New Note but not Export.

Clicking anything in the sidebar that contains notes should give you the Export option. Evernote doesn't have to be Excel but it sure should make it easy to get note titles and related info out to Excel. How else can one track which notes have been addressed if they're tasks?

24 minutes ago, Randy Zeitman said:

How else can one track which notes have been addressed if they're tasks?

I know this question is supposed to be rhetorical but I'm going to answer it anyway. The most obvious ways to me are to use a tag (e.g uncompleted_task), to use the search for unchecked checkboxes (todo:true) or to include some specific searchable word in the title.

• Level 5*

I have exported some Evernote data to Excel pretty easily. 

• In List view add / remove columns by right-clicking the title line and display All Notes or the results of a search. 
  • "Select All" and copy/ paste into Excel. 
  • Works in Legacy Windows Desktop.
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Randy Zeitman said:

How else can one track which notes have been addressed if they're tasks?

As @Mike P posted, a Completed tag can be used   
I use the Reminder Feature; it stores due date and completion status/date   
I also export my data to a spreadsheet using a script on my Mac (Legacy)

3 hours ago, gazumped said:
  • In List view add / remove columns by right-clicking the title line and display All Notes or the results of a search. 
  • "Select All" and copy/ paste into Excel. 
  • Works in Legacy Windows Desktop.

Doesn't seem to work in V10 Windows desktop.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

Doesn't seem to work in V10 Windows desktop.

Might work if sysexpport SysExporter utility is used for “copy”.

EDIT:  Edited name.  Link to utility is here.

• Level 5

The closest way to copy a selection of note titles in v10 is probably this:

1. Find the notes you are interested in (search, filters, search syntax etc.)
  2. When they are listed, select them (first restriction: max 50)
  3. Now create app links from the selection, and paste them into a new note. This creates a list of active titles (TOC), you can click on them to get to that note.
  4. Select them in the note, hit copy. Go to another program (I used Mac Numbers) and paste: I got a list of the titles (not the links), each one in a spread sheet cell.

More steps than in legacy, and it only exports the title text, nothing else.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The closest way to copy a selection of note titles in v10 is probably this:

1. Find the notes you are interested in (search, filters, search syntax etc.)
  2. When they are listed, select them (first restriction: max 50)
  3. Now create app links from the selection, and paste them into a new note. This creates a list of active titles (TOC), you can click on them to get to that note.
  4. Select them in the note, hit copy. Go to another program (I used Mac Numbers) and paste: I got a list of the titles (not the links), each one in a spread sheet cell.

More steps than in legacy, and it only exports the title text, nothing else.

This works fine unless you want to work with multiple columns of data from a side/top list view, including dates, tags and reminders.  Or whatever.  I've used the Ctrl-A, Copy, paste to Excel and have used the above utility for larger note groups when needing to find something in the note meta data not easily done within EN.  Though not a typical user activity I suppose. 

Clueless as to whether SysExporter will work with V10.  Looks like this with 6.25.1.

Image.png.87fc5ae36b1704bdc2063326f0cda490.png

• Level 5

Probably because v10 is practically a sort of a browser extension running in a browser back end, external access needs to be permitted by the app.

If anybody is working on it: No clue. When I visited the EN developers web site, it made a pretty deserted impression. Virtual tumblewood rolling by, a coyote howling bit-bit in the distance, the like …

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably because v10 is practically a sort of a browser extension running in a browser back end, external access needs to be permitted by the app.

If anybody is working on it: No clue. When I visited the EN developers web site, it made a pretty deserted impression. Virtual tumblewood rolling by, a coyote howling bit-bit in the distance, the like …

Yeah, the limit of notes returned would seem to be problematic.

• Like 1

"As @Mike P posted, a Completed tag can be used."

Yes, it can.
But it can't tell me what's next, when's it due, sort ... etc... as project management software can.

It seems an innocuous request ... export information about the note as a CSV ... title, dates, tags, etc.